Windows 10: User folder missing

Discus and support User folder missing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi! I got a second hard drive and moved my Pictures folder there. Unfortunately it didn't go as planned. The entire new hard drive kind of became the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlxiMichael, Nov 6, 2020.

1. User folder missing

Hi!

I got a second hard drive and moved my Pictures folder there. Unfortunately it didn't go as planned. The entire new hard drive kind of became the default Pictures folder. I tried moving it back, but it wouldn't let me. It would only read "Failed to Build list of regular subdirectories under 'D:System Volume Information'" or something along those lines. So what I ended up doing was that I used eitherw10_usf_defaults_hklm.zip or w10_usf_defaults_hkcu.zip can't remember which to reset all folders to their original locations. The problem is that now when I go to "C:\Users" it doesn't show my user folder, it only shows "Default" and "Public" both of which are practically empty. I can still access "C:\Users\username" by finding a file in that folder and backtracking from there, but when I'm in "C:\Users", it doesn't show the folder "username". Everything seems to work just fine and there are no files missing, but still, is there any way I can fix this?

Thank you in advance!

:)

AlxiMichael, Nov 6, 2020
  2. idgat Win User

Location Tab Missing from Almost All Folders

I assume your referring to the Location tab in the Properties of user folders .... Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, etc

If the tab is missing, it would suggest you're not looking at/accessing the actual user system folder, but simply folders that have the same name(s).

Do the folder listing(s) in Windows/File Explorer have the user system icon, or are they just plain common everyday folder icons?

Try restoring the icons to their default location C:\Users\username\

Note : "Restoring" doesn't mean simply copy/move > paste. The registry has to be adjusted accordingly. This forum has steps to do just that ...
    Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

Looking at this part, and having second thooughts ...

Yo don't "create" user system folders, you have to re-locate them from the original system location (as indicated above).

But if you're referring to everyday-usage user-created personal folders ..... they don't have a Location tab.

idgat, Nov 6, 2020
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Nov 6, 2020
  4. User folder missing

Pinned & Recent Folder Missing From Explorer in Start

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the quick access and recently oped files option are missing. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Open File explorer.
    • Click on View and then Options.
    • Choose Folder and search options.
    • Under General Tab and under Privacy, make sure to place a check mark on Show recently used files and recently used folder in Quick access.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

User folder missing

1. User folder missing - Similar Threads - User folder missing

2. MISSING FILES IN USERS FOLDER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MISSING FILES IN USERS FOLDER: This morning, when I turned on my laptop, I realised that all my files and folders were missing. Luckily I was able to locate them at users. I moved the personal folders to the already pinned ones to locate them easily. I restarted everything just in case. When it turned back...
  3. MISSING FILES IN USERS FOLDER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MISSING FILES IN USERS FOLDER: This morning, when I turned on my laptop, I realised that all my files and folders were missing. Luckily I was able to locate them at users. I moved the personal folders to the already pinned ones to locate them easily. I restarted everything just in case. When it turned back...
  4. User Folder is Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder is Missing: I pulled a user's HDD from their PC to get some files from it. The drive boots fine and I can log in with the user's credentials, but I cannot get this PC to stay online more than a few seconds after Windows boots. The power supply is the culprit. We're replacing the PC since...
  5. User Folder is Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder is Missing: I pulled a user's HDD from their PC to get some files from it. The drive boots fine and I can log in with the user's credentials, but I cannot get this PC to stay online more than a few seconds after Windows boots. The power supply is the culprit. We're replacing the PC since...
  6. User Folder is Missing

7. User Folder Missing

User Folder Missing: Help!!!My user folder suddenly went missing on the USER FOLDER in Drive C, but I think it made it's own location. How to I get it back. I am the only user and admin of my computer btw.As you can see it is not here:But if you look to the left pane it is there and had it's own...
  8. User Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder Missing: Help!!!My user folder suddenly went missing on the USER FOLDER in Drive C, but I think it made it's own location. How to I get it back. I am the only user and admin of my computer btw.As you can see it is not here:But if you look to the left pane it is there and had it's own...
  9. User Folder Missing

10. Users Folder Missing

Users Folder Missing: Today I was trying to set up Microsoft Teams and it wouldn't find the 'AppData' .exe, so I change 'C:\Users\' properties to "show hidden files", and after I did that, most of my desktop shortcuts vanished, I when I tried to access anything from "C\:Users" I saw that the whole...