Windows 10: User folder name...

Discus and support User folder name... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Razorhoof78, Aug 5, 2016.

1. User folder name...

I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason my personal folder under C:/Users is named after the first five letters of my Email instead of my real first name, which is the name on my user account. It's bugging the hell out of me. My account's user name is what it should be everywhere else.

What gives? Any way to return this to normal?

:)

Razorhoof78, Aug 5, 2016
  2. 1GRN1 Win User

Folder named "User" in "Users" instead of my name

"Since you already have an account setup, you can delete that account." Why do I want to delete my account? It's given in Settings/Accounts/Your info. There is no account for a User named "User". That's the issue. I can't delete something that doesn't
    exist.

1GRN1, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Folder named "User" in "Users" instead of my name

Hi there - What Accounts appear in Settings>Accounts>Your Info and Family & Other People? These are the only place where accounts should be deleted or renamed if applicable. Since you said you signed in with your MS Account it should appear under Your
    Info. If there is any other account on the PC it should be listed in Family and other People tab. If not what may have happened is that you changed the name of User when you logged in with a MS account, and due to time worn MS Security poilcy when you change
    a User Account name it will not change the User Account folder name - until Windows is reinstalled. I hope this helps. If not please fill us in a bit more.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 5, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

User folder name...

Hello @Razorhoof78, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Only way around it is to install with a Local Account and a generic User name first, then switch to an MS Account later.
    That will leave the User folder with a generic name.

Edwin, Aug 5, 2016
  5. Thank you!

Razorhoof78, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

User folder name...

1. User folder name... - Similar Threads - User folder name

2. Folder name in user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Folder name in user: How to change the folder name in user in dock C Folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-name-in-user/ff87001d-58f4-4398-8af8-d9ed39632bd0
  3. User name is not showing in Users folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User name is not showing in Users folder: Hi, my name is Manish Kumar recently I reset my pc and made some changes but after this, I realized that my user name "manis" is not showing in the Users folder. > Also, my Appdata folder is showing in the Desktop directory and when I make the hidden tick on the explorer it...
  4. User Folder Name

User Folder Name: So earlier I accidentally merged my music folder with my user folder, so in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I saw C:\Users\Music. I did fix this problem but my user folder name is still music instead of my name. I also can't rename the folder back to my...
  5. User name folder and CMD user name incorrect.

in Windows 10 Customization
    User name folder and CMD user name incorrect.: Here is the issue. I might input wrong username years ago when I got my last laptop during registration. The wrong user name might sync to windows cloud or somewhere then I was never able to correct it. Even I change the user name manually by modifying the registry by logging...
  6. User Folder Name Incorrect

User Folder Name Incorrect: Hi all, I know that other posts exist about this problem, but they all seem fairly old so I'm hoping there's a newer (more reliable) solution. I registered my Windows 10 Home Laptop with my pre-existing user account. My name is right in the settings, but for some reason,...
  7. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  8. User Profile Folder Name

User Profile Folder Name: This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your...
  9. User folder name.

User folder name.: The folder name under 'C' users has missing characters. It isn't spelt that way anywhere else, be it in the MS account or the local one. Can I edit the name without wrecking my PC apart?! Also, it happens to be the only account on the PC. I don't understand the complexity MS...
  10. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...