Windows 10: User folder name...

Discus and support User folder name... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Razorhoof78, Aug 5, 2016.

1. User folder name...

I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason my personal folder under C:/Users is named after the first five letters of my Email instead of my real first name, which is the name on my user account. It's bugging the hell out of me. My account's user name is what it should be everywhere else.

What gives? Any way to return this to normal?

:)

Razorhoof78, Aug 5, 2016
  2. 1GRN1 Win User

Folder named "User" in "Users" instead of my name

"Since you already have an account setup, you can delete that account." Why do I want to delete my account? It's given in Settings/Accounts/Your info. There is no account for a User named "User". That's the issue. I can't delete something that doesn't
    exist.

1GRN1, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Folder named "User" in "Users" instead of my name

Hi there - What Accounts appear in Settings>Accounts>Your Info and Family & Other People? These are the only place where accounts should be deleted or renamed if applicable. Since you said you signed in with your MS Account it should appear under Your
    Info. If there is any other account on the PC it should be listed in Family and other People tab. If not what may have happened is that you changed the name of User when you logged in with a MS account, and due to time worn MS Security poilcy when you change
    a User Account name it will not change the User Account folder name - until Windows is reinstalled. I hope this helps. If not please fill us in a bit more.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 5, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

User folder name...

Hello @Razorhoof78, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Only way around it is to install with a Local Account and a generic User name first, then switch to an MS Account later.
    That will leave the User folder with a generic name.

Edwin, Aug 5, 2016
  5. Thank you!

Razorhoof78, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

User folder name...

1. User folder name... - Similar Threads - User folder name

2. Name for user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Name for user folder: In windows 11, during installation, if you specify an account, then the folder as I read it will be named with the first 5 letters of the mail. Is it possible to avoid this and set your own name?...
  3. User folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User folder name: I set up my new pc and it's showing as C:\Users\User. I've noticed from reading and watching online people they have their name or a user account name ie C:Users\Tim. I'm the only person using my pc, should I set myself up as a new User, or should I just change the folder...
  4. User folder name

User folder name: I set up my new pc and it's showing as C:\Users\User. I've noticed from reading and watching online people they have their name or a user account name ie C:Users\Tim. I'm the only person using my pc, should I set myself up as a new User, or should I just change the folder...
  5. User's folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User's folder name: Hi,I am using Windows 11. My username is different from that of the folder in C, Users. When I installed Windows, I filled out a kind of interactive form and connected to Windows with my Microsoft account. Fortunately, I managed to turn it into a local account from the...
  6. User's folder name

User's folder name: Hi,I am using Windows 11. My username is different from that of the folder in C, Users. When I installed Windows, I filled out a kind of interactive form and connected to Windows with my Microsoft account. Fortunately, I managed to turn it into a local account from the...
  7. Folder name in user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Folder name in user: How to change the folder name in user in dock C Folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-name-in-user/ff87001d-58f4-4398-8af8-d9ed39632bd0
  8. User Folder Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Name: So earlier I accidentally merged my music folder with my user folder, so in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I saw C:\Users\Music. I did fix this problem but my user folder name is still music instead of my name. I also can't rename the folder back to my...
  9. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  10. User folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder name.: The folder name under 'C' users has missing characters. It isn't spelt that way anywhere else, be it in the MS account or the local one. Can I edit the name without wrecking my PC apart?! Also, it happens to be the only account on the PC. I don't understand the complexity MS...