Windows 10: User folder renamed with .000?

Discus and support User folder renamed with .000? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all - having an issue with a friend's (named Doug) Win10 HP laptop. He had a Windows 10 upgrade go through awhile back and since then he has two... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Darkstrike, Mar 27, 2020.

1. User folder renamed with .000?

Hi all - having an issue with a friend's (named Doug) Win10 HP laptop. He had a Windows 10 upgrade go through awhile back and since then he has two user folders - 'Doug' and 'Doug.000'. For the record, his machine only ever had one user account called Doug, which was an admin account.

'Doug' was the name of his usual account folder...currently that 'Doug' folder now only has an 'AppData' folder in it, nothing else. Everything else (Photos, Documents, etc, etc) has been copied to the 'Doug.000' folder. He also says that when he gets to the logon screen, instead of just his 'Doug' user as there always was, there are THREE users listed now: Two called 'Doug' and one called something else (he never told me what the third was called, I've been in contact with him only through email).

I saw Shawn Brink's tutorial and (this one: Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10) it suggested restarting the machine 4-5 times to see if that makes a difference...I'd passed this along to him and when he restarted it 4-5 times, it made no difference; the 'Doug.000' folder is still there. I asked him if he ever got a message saying his system was logged into a temporary profile and he doesn't remember.

With COVID and lockdowns here, I can't look at his PC in person, but may be able to remote into it to work on it for him.

Any suggestions on how to sort it out? He's somewhat computer-literate, but very much in a 'screws with things he doesn't completely understand' way because he has a very short anger fuse and I'm scared if he tried that tutorial, he'd make things worse. Brink's tutorial doesn't reference anything about a '.000' user folder, so I am not even sure if that tutorial is the one I should be following?

Suggestions or help would be appreciated! User folder renamed with .000? :)

:)

Darkstrike, Mar 27, 2020
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-rename/3364a356-bf93-4e5c-8fcb-67850e837d6b

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Mar 27, 2020
  4. wpqs Win User

User folder renamed with .000?

Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

• WARNING: My experience with Greg's #3 suggestion (Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10)
      proved disasterous and required me to restore the disk from an image backup. The problem is that the Update program makes multiple changes to registry keys when renaming your user folder (in my case from c:\users\will to c:\users\will.000) so just changing
      one key is likely to be problematic as you discovered - i.e. Outlook, GoToMeeting, etc need to be reinstalled.
    I am still working with Microsoft's Level 3 support (top level) to resolve this issue and so far have spent > 8 hours on the telephone with them. It is far from a simple problem to fix. I am hoping that we will resolve the problem today.

Thema:

User folder renamed with .000?

1. User folder renamed with .000? - Similar Threads - User folder renamed

2. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  3. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  4. renaming user folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  5. renaming user folder?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    renaming user folder?: I just got a new computer and set it up and then realized my user folder only has the first six letters of my name...if I rename it to my full first name will apps that have already run got messed up because they will be looking for data in the wrong users folder? Tia...
  6. User Folder Renamed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Renamed: I just renamed my user folder in Windows 10 admin mode without understanding what that would do. Now i cannot access all my old files. How can I recover my work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-folder-renamed/cca273bc-0d0f-42cc-a140-5c4775f1da2f
  7. Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000

Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro User Account Folder Renamed {User}.000: Hello, I've been reading many many threads regarding an update that renamed the C:\Users\{User} to C:\Users\{User}.000. This seems to break lots of programs that are actually pointing to the \{User} folder. I believe Zune may have been the reason why this .000 folder was...
  8. Rename a User folder

Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  9. Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update v1909 Breaks my PC - user folder 'will' renamed 'will.000': When I ran the Windows update v1909 it copied my user folder 'C:\Users\will' to 'C:\Users\will.000' and then deleted most of the files in 'C:\Users\will' . Consequently most of my applications can't now find the files they need - OneDrive, Outlook, etc. My PC is now useless....
  10. Rename user folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Rename user folder?: Hello. I guess since i installed windows 10 using my microsoft account, my user folder got named after my microsoft mail, or some part of it anyway. So am wondering if it's possible to rename the user folder somehow? 8699