Windows 10: User folders in root C: drive

Discus and support User folders in root C: drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated: Intel PerfLogs Program Files Program Files x86 Users Windows Is there a policy of users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gs99, Jan 29, 2020.

1. gs99 Win User

User folders in root C: drive

In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated:

• Intel
    • PerfLogs
    • Program Files
    • Program Files x86
    • Users
    • Windows

Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive?

On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for applications.

E.g. Is there an advantage when new Windows software is installed?

:)

2. Catbill Win User

What folders should be located on c: root

After upgrading to Windows 10, I want to declutter.

There are several programs and files stored on the c: root drive and I am not sure which should be deleted or moved. Also, I think I heard that some programs stored there could be malware.

I know that folders like Program Files, Users, and Program Data should be there. Are there some general guidelines for other kinds of folders could be there or which shouldn't be there? It might not be easy to answer but any insights would be helpful.

I could show the list of folders if someone would be willing to tell me what could be moved or eliminated.

Catbill, Jan 29, 2020
  3. fussybob Win User
    Can't save file in C:\ root directory

I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone.

I can make/delete new folders in the C: drive, and save/delete files in those folders.
    My Win 10 system works just fine, except for me to save a file in the C; root directory

I can save files from apps to the C:\, and if I save the same file again, it tells me it exists and if I want to overwrite it, so it is indeed saved to the root directory.

In windows explorer I can't see those saved files in the root directory.

Any suggestions?

fussybob, Jan 29, 2020
  4. gypsycomp Win User

showing the total of folders/files in drive root

Properties are shown differently for folders and roots.
    Root properties only shows used and free space.
    Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders.
    Questions:
    1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive?
    2 - Better, how could I list the number of files within each folder?
    3 - Even better, how could I list the total of subfolders and files at each level within the tree branches?

gypsycomp, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

1. User folders in root C: drive - Similar Threads - User folders root

2. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?: I would like to create some folders right on the C: drive system disk. But is it safe to do anyway? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-really-safe-to-create-a-folder-on-the-root/702fef91-ed3c-4eeb-8c1e-2bc4eaa259cc
  3. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?: I would like to create some folders right on the C: drive system disk. But is it safe to do anyway? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-really-safe-to-create-a-folder-on-the-root/702fef91-ed3c-4eeb-8c1e-2bc4eaa259cc
  4. Is it really safe to create a folder on the root of my C: drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  6. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  7. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. User folder in the C: root directory

User folder in the C: root directory: I have 8 folders in my User folder. Each folder contains from two to 29 items. Can I copy each of the seven smaller folders into the largest folder and then delete the seven smaller folders?...
  9. Folders with long alphanumeric names in C drive root level.

Folders with long alphanumeric names in C drive root level.: Found many folders in C drive root level. My la[top running Windows 10. What are these folders with files for and can I safely delete them? 3c4477fcb5c61b1e24968f174d 5c1de1ebe33df0f820d137171e Any one can help answer and advice. Thank you....
  10. $xxx Folders in Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    $xxx Folders in Root of C:: I was under the impression that these folders would go away or can be deleted, BUT !! Has been some time from 1511 build was installed. C:\ $Windows -W " - BT C:\ $sysreset Still have .log and .xml from 12/26/2015 in them ( not the date of the last Windows Update) I...