Windows 10: User Log in ID- windows vs server

Discus and support User Log in ID- windows vs server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I got a free OLD server. Hp proliant dl560 g5. It's running server 2008 R2. Now I know the first things you will want to say is "throw it away"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CantStopTheColeTrain, Jul 16, 2020.

1. User Log in ID- windows vs server

Hi. I got a free OLD server. Hp proliant dl560 g5. It's running server 2008 R2.

Now I know the first things you will want to say is "throw it away" but I would like to persist as a learning experience.

I am trying to understand how these work together relating to users and passwords.

I have several windows 10 computers. 3 pro and one home, in addition to this server. I was trying to get them to work better together however, I wasn't wanting the server to "take over" and be the core hub. I would like to turn it off and on and "throw it away" at some point.

The windows computers are all set up with windows Id's. Multiple users can log in at any computer. I am in control of all this since the users are kids. They have a outlook email and passwords etc. Currently logging in with pin.

possibly related, possibly not, shared folders have been a big pain for me, not really working. Perhaps it is my nighthawk r7000 as I have read that causes issues with shared folders and no, I don't want a USB samba Nas ounder networking most computers don't show up most times. And therefore my shares are not working

So I was trying to get this server to be a shared folder and backup type device that could be turned off and on when needed. My next route will be to try mounting a shared as a drive or something.

But in doing that, I am trying to understand users and passwords. I can't log in to the server with my windows password, currently? Can I do that?

Also, how can I set up the existing windows users on the shared features? Like I don't know if I need to use the outlook emails, or the names on the shared folders?

Is there anyway to keep the log ins just like they are and set up sharing options, without making another duplicate user. I am requesting help understanding windows users and those settings. Does a domain come in to play here? Or would that require the server to be powered on all the time?

Thanks

:)

CantStopTheColeTrain, Jul 16, 2020
  2. DennieMPF Win User

Logging off RDP users

I have several RDS servers that numerous users connect to. (MS Server 2016 and 2012) Everyday at 5:05PM, we have to "logoff" certain users from their sessions. I use Remote Desktop Services Manager to see all the users connected to RDS servers. Manually
    I CTRL and select the users I need to logoff. Then right-click and Logoff. Works fine. However,

I want to automate this process and haven't found a way to do so using the following criteria:

1. Needs to be by username. Session ID will change. Username doesn't.

2. I can build a list of usernames (that will be edited as users come in and out of the criteria for logoff - i.e. salespersons come and go)

3. Would like some sort of script that references the usernames on the list then searches for RDP connections they may have.

4. If found, the user will be logged off their session.

NOTE - CANNOT "kill" or "reset" the connection. Logging off allows the software they're using on the remote server to be properly closed before dumping the session.

5. This script process can be Task Scheduled on each of the remote servers and set to execute at 5:05PM daily (M-F) or it can look for these users and perform the logoff via the Remote Desktop Services Manger on my PC..

Open to any ideas.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dennie

DennieMPF, Jul 16, 2020
  3. Rudy Mas Win User
    AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Jul 16, 2020
  4. slim142 Win User

User Log in ID- windows vs server

Windows users can't log in

The DNS server has collapsed. However, users cannot log into the domain?

I thought as long as they log in once, their credentials were saved locally into the computer?

slim142, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

User Log in ID- windows vs server

1. User Log in ID- windows vs server - Similar Threads - User Log server

2. Auto log off for specifc users on Windows Server 2022

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto log off for specifc users on Windows Server 2022: Hello, we have one tower server that runs windows server 2022 and everyone RDPs in with their own account and they should log off after 5 minutes of inactivity. Except for one user that is in the control room and that should not log out. I tried using local policy but you...
  3. Auto log off for specifc users on Windows Server 2022

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto log off for specifc users on Windows Server 2022: Hello, we have one tower server that runs windows server 2022 and everyone RDPs in with their own account and they should log off after 5 minutes of inactivity. Except for one user that is in the control room and that should not log out. I tried using local policy but you...
  4. Windows 10 vs Server 2003

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 vs Server 2003: Hi, I have an old control system that currently runs on Windows Server 2003. The control system has x2 PCs arranged in a hot-standby fashion. Both PCs are networked together with the client keeping synchronized to the server. If I use Wireshark I see the client requesting...
  5. Windows 10 vs Server 2003

Windows 10 vs Server 2003: Hi, I have an old control system that currently runs on Windows Server 2003. The control system has x2 PCs arranged in a hot-standby fashion. Both PCs are networked together with the client keeping synchronized to the server. If I use Wireshark I see the client requesting...
  6. Windows 10 vs Server 2003

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows server 2012 R2 and windows server 2019 User log in issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows server 2012 R2 and windows server 2019 User log in issue: After the latest windows server update in January 2022 I got a problem to log into my user account on all my updated servers. Its the same issue for 2012 and 2019 version of the windows server.When I log into the server with my administrator account, it seems like everything...
  8. Windows server 2012 R2 and windows server 2019 User log in issue

Windows server 2012 R2 and windows server 2019 User log in issue: After the latest windows server update in January 2022 I got a problem to log into my user account on all my updated servers. Its the same issue for 2012 and 2019 version of the windows server.When I log into the server with my administrator account, it seems like everything...
  9. Switching users vs logging out?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching users vs logging out?: Hello, i just added my brother to my desktop as a user and wanted to make sure that his background programs aren't running when i am on my account and vice versa. Is making sure that he logs out before i log in/not using the switch accounts option good enough to stop this...
  10. User Profiles vs User Accounts - Phantom Account is Mucking Up Log-In

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profiles vs User Accounts - Phantom Account is Mucking Up Log-In: Hello, I just upgraded a laptop to Windows 10. I wanted to get rid of the Admin Privileges dialogue boxes and questions - 1 account, always Admin, never prompted about it. I also wanted to get rid of all password prompts and lockscreens. Essentially, I want a laptop I can...