Windows 10: User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

Discus and support User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Paul Mayerowitz, May 26, 2022.

1. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and to have the contents of folder HP to be the contents pf the new c:\Users\pmaye folder.

:)

Paul Mayerowitz, May 26, 2022

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-rename/3364a356-bf93-4e5c-8fcb-67850e837d6b

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, May 26, 2022
  3. Ryan_2013 Win User
    Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, May 26, 2022
  4. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 26, 2022
Thema:

User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

1. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed - Similar Threads - User Name Folder

2. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  3. User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Name and Folder Cannot be Renamed: I sent my laptop back to HP for repair. They reloaded the entire operating system. They names my user account "HP" . I have now changed this to "pmaye" except File Manager does not reflect this change as a user in c:\Users\HP. How do I change the HP name to reflect pmayer and...
  4. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  5. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  6. Rename C:/Users/<name>

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rename C:/Users/<name>: How do I rename the above specified directory? I changed it through registry editor but after that my start menu failed and I've reset my PC. Please help me out with this submitted by /u/HarishRaj21 [link] [comments]...
  7. Is there any way to rename user folder name aka this : C:\Users\<user name> without...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there any way to rename user folder name aka this : C:\Users\<user name> without...: i am trying to rename this because my current folder name is kind of a joke. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-rename-user-folder-name-aka/4858d831-8cf8-4422-b0c7-3f2b69fae403
  8. How to Rename user folder name ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Rename user folder name ?: As you can guess from the title. submitted by /u/SolarisAZ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gsczbw/how_to_rename_user_folder_name/
  9. Rename a User folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  10. how to rename a user name but i cannot find it

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to rename a user name but i cannot find it: I went through all the steps, but the name of only my account. I do see the file name under users subdirectory https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-rename-a-user-name-but-i-cannot-find-it/17ff0116-dac0-4c3e-8024-a040206ef585