Windows 10: User name mistyped at login on HP laptop & now locked out

Discus and support User name mistyped at login on HP laptop & now locked out in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm trying to help my Dad log into his computer after realizing he mistyped the user name and is now locked out. He can't recover a password because... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MicheleDG3, Feb 12, 2021.

1. User name mistyped at login on HP laptop & now locked out

I'm trying to help my Dad log into his computer after realizing he mistyped the user name and is now locked out. He can't recover a password because the user name is incorrect. I can only find help on how to switch users once you're already logged in. Shouldn't he be able to right-click on the user name or something to re-type? Help, please. Thank you in advance. PS: He had already tried a password too many times and got locked out, so the "ok" button is not an option, either.

User name mistyped at login on HP laptop & now locked out faefbc5f-5e5c-43c4-acee-a7a5c405f404?upload=true.png

:)

MicheleDG3, Feb 12, 2021

2. Had a user when I shut down yesterday. Now that user is gone on login window but their files are still in the laptop if I search for them.

Probably didn't make myself clear. Had two user names on window when shutting down last night. One user name disappeared from login window when laptop is powered up. The user name that is missing from the login widow still has files listed under C:/user/name/file
    but can't reassign them to login in window. Can add new user but won't let me reassign their name to the login window so that they can login on the laptop under their own name.

Thanks for suggestion.

SouthWest 86351, Feb 12, 2021
  3. briang99 Win User
    Unknown user account at windows 10 login screen

I have the same issue but I have 11 users and now on the log in screen I have 11 user names and 11 of the "password" with the "key" next to them. So, that's 22 logins on the lock screen. The "password" logins are actually the users. I am trying to get rid
    of the "password" tabs so only my user names show on the login screen. I checked for the registry folder you mentioned and it is not in the list.

Any other suggestions?

briang99, Feb 12, 2021
  4. User name mistyped at login on HP laptop & now locked out

Lock vs Login screen screenshot

You can use your own image of any background and just go to settings/personalize/lock screen and click on browse as in the image below. It should make whatever picture you use as the Lock Screen

User name mistyped at login on HP laptop & now locked out [​IMG]

Josey Wales, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

User name mistyped at login on HP laptop & now locked out

1. User name mistyped at login on HP laptop & now locked out - Similar Threads - User name mistyped

2. Changing login user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing login user name: So say I have a user that has to manually type their user name,Where would I change the name that they would have to type? Not the lock screen display name But the login name that they would physically have to type.Thanks!...
  3. change user/login name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change user/login name?: When installing W10 it asks for the name of the user, I wasn't sure how this was used and entered my full name :First Last".Now I see that it uses this for the full user ID, including the "c:/users/username" path.I want to change that, so that I have C:/users/lastName no...
  4. change user/login name?

in Windows 10 Customization
    change user/login name?: When installing W10 it asks for the name of the user, I wasn't sure how this was used and entered my full name :First Last".Now I see that it uses this for the full user ID, including the "c:/users/username" path.I want to change that, so that I have C:/users/lastName no...
  5. Microsoft login now locked blocking laptop login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft login now locked blocking laptop login: Hi My laptop recently updated, now when I try to login to open the laptop I have a Microsoft sign in.However that Microsoft email address no longer exists, but to verify the account I need to remember emails from over 2 years agoHow can I proceed??Please helpCheers sam* Moved...
  6. User Locked Out

User Locked Out: Hello, I am trying to assist my grandmother with a problem she is having on her computer. He has a lenovo G770 from 2005 and I believe is running windows 10. She has not been able to remember her password or something has changed and we cannot log in to her computer. I...
  7. Locked out of HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Locked out of HP Laptop: I'm trying to use my HP laptop with windows 10 I bought 3 years ago. The problem is one of my kids must have changed the password to login through Microsoft. The other issue is when I try to factory reset it, it says there isn't enough space and to clear out some files which...
  8. lock out users

lock out users: how do i lock out other users from my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/lock-out-users/8e2555e7-a891-4da4-9c5a-9e64aaaac8b9"
  9. changed computer name now locked out of admin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    changed computer name now locked out of admin: I changed the PC name and now I have no admin access so I am locked out of making any changes. how can I change it back? or am I hooped... *Sad 40828
  10. Duplicate user name at login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Duplicate user name at login: appeI'm running Widows 10 on my MacBook via Parallels Desktop. When the W10 login screen appears, I get my user name appear and it logs itself in but is declined. Next, my user name is displayed twice and I click the top one and enter my PIN number and I'm logged in. I would...