Windows 10: User name not shown in C:\Users

Discus and support User name not shown in C:\Users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since updating from Win 7 to Window 10 - I have 'lost' the appropriate user name in C:\users. Therefore when trying to set 2 other computers to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Skofab, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Skofab Win User

User name not shown in C:\Users

Since updating from Win 7 to Window 10 - I have 'lost' the appropriate user name in C:\users.
    Therefore when trying to set 2 other computers to recognise this particular laptop is not possible. My account is Local, and the network is private.
    A visit to C:\users shows the following..........
    Default.migrated
    DefaultAppPool
    Public
    User

Obviously I can see in UAC what the username is supposed to be, and I know the password - however inputting that info does not work. (The other 2 PC's run on Win 7.)
    Your thoughts and help would be appreciated.

:)

Skofab, Dec 21, 2015
  2. Tryx3 Win User

What is the difference or relation between an user an account?

It's difficult to understand what you are asking.

You have 3 user accounts on the computer? And hence 3 subfolders within C:\Users\?

If your 3 user accounts are "local" accounts i.e. they exist on the computer only, the folder names within C:\Users\ will match the user names you see at the top of the Start menu [one user account name appears at the top and, if you click on it, all the
    other user accounts will be listed underneath].

If any of your 3 user accounts are linked to inline Microsoft Accounts then their names in C:\Users\ and at the top of the Start menu should match, respectively, the full account name shown when you log in online to your MS Accounts and the email address
    used for that MS Account. [Differences between these two ways of identifying MS Accounts might be what is causing your current problem]

Once this question is settled, I could ask why you want to delete a user. I don't see how doing so could correct any backup errors. But to stay with the question of user account identification a bit longer, the name used for any user account within backups
    is most likely to be the full account name shown when you log in online to your MS Accounts.

Tryx3, Dec 21, 2015
  3. lacrumb Win User
    I ca't download .exe files.

In Firefox in the upper right is a down arrow. Click on it and see if your files are shown. Also to install the file click on it.

Have you looked in the Download folder? In Quick Access or C:, Users, your user name, Downloads

lacrumb, Dec 21, 2015
Thema:

User name not shown in C:\Users

1. User name not shown in C:\Users - Similar Threads - User name shown

2. Windows 11: User folder not shown in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: User folder not shown in C:\Users: Hi,I recently installed Windows 11 and upgraded to the last version. I moved the Videos, Download, Pictures and Documents folders to the D:\ drive using the Ubication tab of each folder, and then I realized thay my user folder is not shown anymore in C:\Users. Even activating...
  3. Windows 11: User folder not shown in C:\Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: User folder not shown in C:\Users: Hi,I recently installed Windows 11 and upgraded to the last version. I moved the Videos, Download, Pictures and Documents folders to the D:\ drive using the Ubication tab of each folder, and then I realized thay my user folder is not shown anymore in C:\Users. Even activating...
  4. c:\Users\name change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    c:\Users\name change: In my Users directory my name is a number, 19728, shown as C:\Users\19728. When I transfer files in other programs the number shows and I need it to be my name. How can I change this to be:C:\Users\Dennis ???Please let me know, Dennis...
  5. Can't change user name is C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change user name is C:\Users: I'm using Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 21H2I clean installed this OS and while installation I used my registered email ID.Now I noticed that C:\Users\ has a folder with wrong spelling of my name that I would like to change.I tried to rename it in safe mode and by...
  6. Can't change user name is C:\Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change user name is C:\Users: I'm using Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 21H2I clean installed this OS and while installation I used my registered email ID.Now I noticed that C:\Users\ has a folder with wrong spelling of my name that I would like to change.I tried to rename it in safe mode and by...
  7. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  8. Changing the name of user under C:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the name of user under C:\users: Windows 10 ver 20H2 build 19042.928 I just got a refurbished second hand computer and would like to change the user name which is shown under C:\users to one of my own.own liking. Will someone please tell me how, if possible, to do that? Thank you. 179010
  9. C user false name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C user false name: Hello I have a problem. My friends C drive is called ₽ (russian currency symbol) for some reason, so some of the games or programms do not recognize it and they give out an error as they wont find path to it. We have tried to change it but nothing works. I was wondering if...
  10. logged in user not shown in c:\users\user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    logged in user not shown in c:\users\user: I log onto my computer as "Joe", showing as a local account with administrator privileges, but there is no "joe" under c:\users\user. Instead, when I make changes, they show up in c:\users\users (Appdata and things like that). Could "Joe" somehow be an alias for "user"? When...