Windows 10: User Name Truncated

Discus and support User Name Truncated in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just bought a new computer with Windows 10 loaded. I signed in with my email address *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. My folder is now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RosanneF, May 2, 2021.

1. RosanneF Win User

User Name Truncated

I just bought a new computer with Windows 10 loaded. I signed in with my email address *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. My folder is now called \user\itsmy and, truncated, it's really odd and annoying to see it truncated down to 5 characters. I am seeing some really old posts about this. Why would M$ only want to use 5 characters ... aren't we past that now? My old laptop that I've had for about 5 years did not truncate like this. Any help, M$ ?? How can I fix this?

:)

RosanneF, May 2, 2021
  2. WarningU2 Win User

User folder name truncated

I am in the process of setting up my wife's new laptop with windows 10 and I was surprised when I saw the user folder name was truncated from denise to denis. She hates being called denis. Please fix this bug

WarningU2, May 2, 2021
  3. amacabama Win User

I installed Windows 10 from an iso as a completely new installation. My user name is my Microsoft account name
    L: andrew@mydomainname but the folder set up in User has been truncated to five characters, so that Documents is at C:\Users\Andre\Documents and not at C:\Users\Andrew\Documents.

Currently I have Documents at a different location on my Surface to my desktop, which makes it hard to use.

I can see that reinstalling and using a local account name before connecting my account to my Microsoft account name would probably correct this, but is non trivial and would take a day to implement.

Is there any way I can change the location of my User folder to what I consider to be the correct place?

Andrew

or possibly andre

amacabama, May 2, 2021
  4. User Name Truncated

This is a most frustrating issue. I have completed several dozen Windows 10 clean installations and every time in the User directory my users-name directory name is truncated to 5 letters.

It is interesting that with all sorts of techie issues outstanding in the teething years of Windows 10 this particular one brings out the worst in me and I think particularly nasty thoughts about Microsoft.

Beware - Microsoft - this particular bug is a personal swipe at your users. Yes - for better or worse we are now allowed to identify our own gender, ethnicity, political stance - but our names - now that's Microsoft's business. Get real - sort this out please.

bothybrowser, May 2, 2021
Thema:

User Name Truncated

1. User Name Truncated - Similar Threads - User Name Truncated

2. Truncated User Name creates problem with command prompt and file path even after editing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Truncated User Name creates problem with command prompt and file path even after editing...: I recently set up my new laptop with Windows 11 and Office 365. I am trying to use my command prompt with various programs and it continues to show the user as the truncation of the first 5 characters of the user name in Windows 11, even after editing the name to properly...
  3. Truncated User Name creates problem with command prompt and file path even after editing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Truncated User Name creates problem with command prompt and file path even after editing...: I recently set up my new laptop with Windows 11 and Office 365. I am trying to use my command prompt with various programs and it continues to show the user as the truncation of the first 5 characters of the user name in Windows 11, even after editing the name to properly...
  4. Truncated user name Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Truncated user name Windows 11: I know this issue has been addressed previously and nothing seems to not work right or is too difficult to understand.Because I entered my outlook email address when I installed Win 11 it truncated my name which makes it ogpis. 1. I created a local account Steven T with admin...
  5. Truncated user name Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Truncated user name Windows 11: I know this issue has been addressed previously and nothing seems to not work right or is too difficult to understand.Because I entered my outlook email address when I installed Win 11 it truncated my name which makes it ogpis. 1. I created a local account Steven T with admin...
  6. User name got truncated

in Windows 10 Customization
    User name got truncated: When I was setting up my new Win 10 computer I was asked to enter my user name. Supposed to be campingshadow. But when I was entering it I got as far as campi and accidentally hit the enter key. Now my user name is set as campi. HOW do I fix this? When I go in and try to...
  7. Windows 10 Truncated username in C:\Windows\Users

Windows 10 Truncated username in C:\Windows\Users: In setting up a new PC, Windows 10 has truncated my username in C:\Windows\Users from the correct user name (e.g. absmith) to absmi. Guru Kiran responded to this issue in a previous post, however his suggestions don't really work, or maybe just not in my case. To be clear,...
  8. Setting up new computer with Windows 10 - my user name is truncated

Setting up new computer with Windows 10 - my user name is truncated: This problem has been asked on this forum several times, and none of the suggested responses have worked. Ludicrous that this bug is 3 years old with no clean solution. My computer provided 'there' as my user name, which is a truncated version of my first name. Can't change...
  9. Admin user directory truncated name!!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin user directory truncated name!!: I've got my Win10 user account info displayed, it's an admin account and there is my outlook email account attached. When I drill down to my user directory in file explorer under users the directory name is my first name truncated. So for example if the admin account was...
  10. "Folder access denied" C:\Users\<truncated name>\One Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    "Folder access denied" C:\Users\<truncated name>\One Drive: Unable to delete folder, unable to change permissions, and unable to get One Drive to read to Documents folder correctly. I have attempted five times and each time it fails. So I try to delete the One Drive folder so I can reboot and try again, and the system will not let me....