Windows 10: User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question

Discus and support User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am revamping my system as I migrate to Win 10 Microsoft encourages us to use our Microsoft account to sign in. I do have such an account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PrestonR, Aug 9, 2015.

1. PrestonR Win User

User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question

Hello,

I am revamping my system as I migrate to Win 10

Microsoft encourages us to use our Microsoft account to sign in. I do have such an account because I have an Office 365 account

I have a desktop and two laptops (one is my wife's) on our home network and would prefer, to keep things simple, that we use the same Microsoft email address as a sign in for all 3 machines. Implied here is that the same password would have be used to access the machines and our Microsoft accounts and email. Does this make sense? Will I be lessening our security? My goal is to set things up so that my wife can go to any of the machines and find the same structures and logins

AS I understand things, my Office 365 accounts gives each machine access to their own 1 TB oneDrive account. I would like to keep our computers synched with each other. Due to pictures, ebooks, and music we have almost 1 TB of user data. If I can not reduce the data I would have to use more than one OnEDrive folder to hold it. With three machines and three OneDrive accounts is there a way I can keep all of the data synched?

Please bear with me - both of us are 74 yrs old and not too computer smart

Thanks for your help

Preston

:)

PrestonR, Aug 9, 2015

2. Photos app face recognition and naming people detected

Jan,

it is not a question of the device, but a question of the combination device / user account. I have three PCs:

PC1: 3 user accounts

- administrator (local accout): naming not possible

- standard user 1 (Microsoft account): naming not possible

- standard user 2 (local account): naming possible

PC2: 3 user accounts

- administrator (local accout): naming not possible

- standard user 1 (Microsoft account): naming possible

- standard user 2 (local account): naming not possible

PC3: 2 user accounts

- administrator (local accout): naming possible

- standard user 1 (Microsoft account): naming not possible

You are right, for naming the persons, the Photos app must be given access to the contacts stored in the People app. But this is true for all my user accounts, so this can't be the the reason why the naming is not possible for some user accounts.

Hans-Martin S, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Alan B Win User
    USER NAME

You can choose your own user name as it appears on the start screen.

If you create a new Local account you can choose the user name as it appears on the computer.

If you create a Microsoft Account then the user name is chosen by Windows.

If you change a local account to a Microsoft account it retains its original name.

So the fix (if I understand the question correctly) is to create a local account with the name of your choice then change it to be a Microsoft account.

Alan B, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question

1. User names and microsoft accounts, and a OneDrive question - Similar Threads - User names microsoft

2. User account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User account name: Good morning,the workstation I used for a colleague of mine has passed to another. My problem now is to keep order and make the PC recognizable:PC Name: PB1Username: Bern...Account name: ...@gmail.comUsually i share the online account among people of that office, while having...
  3. User account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User account name: Good morning,the workstation I used for a colleague of mine has passed to another. My problem now is to keep order and make the PC recognizable:PC Name: PB1Username: Bern...Account name: ...@gmail.comUsually i share the online account among people of that office, while having...
  4. User account name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. User name account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User name account: When I set up my new computer I mistyped my user name. I ran the userpasswords2 to update the user name but when i look in file explorer under Users it only has the old name. How do i rename this folder?...
  6. Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?: I just installed Windows 10 on a workstation on my network there are many computers on this internal network. Since this network is secure and I'm the only employee... the same username and password is used on all systems... mine. This makes it very simple to use the...
  7. Microsoft Account --> Change "Users" Name.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Account --> Change "Users" Name.: Ok, so I created a Microsoft Account and Windows seemed to assign the first 4 letters of my "sign-in e-mail" as my C: > Users name. What's the best way to change my "Users" name in C drive? Also, how do I delete profile images under "Settings" ? I see how I can switch...
  8. user account name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    user account name: can I remove the user account only from my pc login screen, and not anywhere else? I tried to install office & update windows 10, but my sign in screen name changed. The email accounts of 2 accounts I have are now on the PC sign in screen. There doesn't seem to be anything...
  9. User account name

in Windows 10 Customization
    User account name: How do I change the user account name of a non-administrator account on my PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-account-name/9bb32d57-f261-4420-80b6-229a8e4367c1
  10. Account name user name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Account name user name: You don't want to remove the account since it is your only one. Are you able to "Edit name" of your account online like below to change it to what you wanted instead? Change User Name of Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials [img]