Windows 10: user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account

Discus and support user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot figure out why the user name in Windows 10 file explorer under drive c:\Users is different than the user account name displayed when logging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KennethRuggles_Admin, Nov 15, 2019.

1. user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account

I cannot figure out why the user name in Windows 10 file explorer under drive c:\Users is different than the user account name displayed when logging into one of my user account. For example, in file explorer, the administrative account under c:\users is "Kenneth" . When I log in to this same user account, the name appears as : "Kenneth_Admin" which was the account name I had used when I had set up the account in the first place. Why would not the user names be the same under file explorer as it is when logging into an account? Thanks for any information you could give me.

:)

KennethRuggles_Admin, Nov 15, 2019

2. How to change User File name of the User Account in Windows 10.

Hi Owan,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

I suggest you to enable the default Administrator account and then try to perform the below steps to edit the user folder name. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to enable the default administrator account and try to delete the extra account.

1. Press Windows Key + X Key.

2. Click on Command Prompt(Admin).

3. Type the following command and hit on Enter Key:

net user administrator /active:yes

4. Sign out the current use account and try to sing in with default administrator account which will be displayed as Administrator in the login page.

Step 2: After login to the default administrator account, please to try to perform the below steps again and check if it helps.

Try to rename the folder by following below steps.

1. Open File Explorer and then open User profile folder.

2. Click on the user folder, then tap on F2 Key.

3. Try to rename the folder and hit on Enter Key.

4. If prompted for administrator permission, then click on Continue.

When you are done with the troubleshooting the issue. Then try to disable the Default Administrator account.

1. Press Windows Key + X Key.

2. Click on Command Prompt(Admin).

3. Type the following command and hit on Enter Key:

net user administrator /active:no

4. Then Restart your Computer.

Discalimer: If you face any difficulties in logging to the user account after changing the user name through Default Administrator, then try to change the name of user name back to its original user name.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Change the user name in Windows 10

Hi Rick,

Thank you for writing us back.

Are both the accounts are admin account?

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

Steps: To determine the user account type:

• Login to any account.

• Press Windows key+X.

• Click on Control Panel.

• Click on User accounts.

• Your user account will show and below that it will show your local account or admin account.

• Once you know about the account type.

• You can go to user account and change the name.

• Press Windows key+R.

• Type netplwiz and press enter.

• Select the account and click on properties.

• Change the user name and click on apply and then ok and one more time click on ok on the main screen.

• Reboot the computer and check if it helps

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Nov 15, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account

User Name is cut short in File/Windows explorer

Of course there is. Simply click the Skip this step in the user creation dialog and create a local account in next dialog:

user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account [​IMG]

Detailed instructions in step 22 in this tutorial: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Thema:

user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account

1. user names in Windows 10 file explorer different than login user account - Similar Threads - user names file

2. Users file Name is different from settings account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users file Name is different from settings account name: This was partially solved when I asked this question earlier The below link is for context, I can send a SS if...
  3. Users file Name is different from settings account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users file Name is different from settings account name: This was partially solved when I asked this question earlier The below link is for context, I can send a SS if...
  4. Users file Name is different from settings account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users file Name is different from settings account name: When I open my files app and go to users it shows 3 users one of which are public. I intentionally created the two users not including the public one I know why the Public one exists but in both the usernames are different from what is mentioned in the settings. The names in...
  5. Users file Name is different from settings account name

Users file Name is different from settings account name: When I open my files app and go to users it shows 3 users one of which are public. I intentionally created the two users not including the public one I know why the Public one exists but in both the usernames are different from what is mentioned in the settings. The names in...
  6. File Explorer 'Users' name and Computer Login Page Different Names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer 'Users' name and Computer Login Page Different Names: Hi there,So recently I was using Visual Studio Code, and when I ran my code, I saw this. I didn't like how my user was "14086" which is the first numbers of my phone number. I did register using my phone number but, when I tried editing the values using the registry editor...
  7. File Explorer 'Users' name and Computer Login Page Different Names

File Explorer 'Users' name and Computer Login Page Different Names: Hi there,So recently I was using Visual Studio Code, and when I ran my code, I saw this. I didn't like how my user was "14086" which is the first numbers of my phone number. I did register using my phone number but, when I tried editing the values using the registry editor...
  8. File Explorer 'Users' name and Computer Login Page Different Names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: How to access a file share as a different user than the local user?: I have a Windows 7 PC. Let's name it server. A share on server can be accessed as user A. I also have a Windows 10 PC, named client. I am logged on to clientas user B and want to access user A's share on server. On Windows 7 and earlier clients, I can provide user A's...
  10. User accounts and users are different

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User accounts and users are different: Hi I have two accounts on my laptop: Bryan as admin and James as my local account which I use for my daily workings. All my work is save to a different partition on the hard drive. I now notice that if I go to C:\users, I have my admin account but there are two other...