Windows 10: User not able to upload files from local network

Discus and support User not able to upload files from local network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm not sure how to categorize this problem, but I have a user who is unable to upload files to various programs and sites Slack, Wordpress, MailChimp,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by davidtveraas1, Oct 22, 2020.

1. User not able to upload files from local network

I'm not sure how to categorize this problem, but I have a user who is unable to upload files to various programs and sites Slack, Wordpress, MailChimp, etc. unless they go through a VPN. They were able to make these uploads until last week, and now all upload they attempt fail or time out when not using a VPN. Any tips or ideas?

:)

davidtveraas1, Oct 22, 2020
  2. Aquinus Win User

Increase image file upload size cap

Okay, first off, people need to learn to calm down. That includes the OP and everyone replying. I would consider this a very legitimate concern he raises and I'll explain why and what I would suggest to fix it to address all the concerns brought up.

I see three sides to this.
    • OneMoar wants to upload bigger files. Generally speaking, most users are lazy so this is a valid concern from a usability standpoint. While I do believe there should be an upload limit, there should be a separate storage limit.
    • Concern with bandwidth: I suspect that uploading images is a relatively small amount of bandwidth and that serving up said images is much more costly. So that would put emphasis on getting not putting if bandwidth is a concern.
    • Storage, a very real concern because a lot of images adds up quickly which adds a need to efficiently store said images.
    So my suggestion (assuming W1zz wanted to do this out of kindness of his heart,) is this:
    • Increase upload limit to 10-20MB max.
    • Institute a storage limit of 2-5MB max.
    • Use PHP's GD library to convert uploaded images to JPEG or PNG.
      • PNGs tend to look nicer than JPEGs, but use more space. Probably preferable for smaller images or images requiring transparency.
      • JPEG tends to be very flexible when it comes to quality and the amount of compression. PHP's GD lib gives you control over this.
    So long as the image is uploaded in a format GD can read which includes most commonly used formats, it may not be unrealistic to re-store it in a different format. It's also not unrealistic to use GD to scale the image as well.

I've used GD before and it's relatively easy to use and is relatively quick with respect to performance. I would be willing to write up some examples with respect to how to do it if it were welcomed.

Side note: I see a watermark, GD might be getting used already so this might not be a stretch if the CPU cycles are there to spare.

Aquinus, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Unable to set restriction for local user in Windows 10

Hi,

I realized your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• How did you noticed that user is still able to access the drive?

• Did you log into the local user account and check the permission?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to restrict the user.

• In File Explorer, right click on the drive which you want to restrict.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click on Edit to change the permissions.
    • Uncheck all the permission for system.
    • Click OK and make sure the change is applied to all subfolders and files.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, Oct 22, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

User not able to upload files from local network

Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

User not able to upload files from local network

1. User not able to upload files from local network - Similar Threads - User able upload

2. How to share file and folder from local network with AAD user?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to share file and folder from local network with AAD user?: I have to allow users from my company to access files and folders on PC with win 10 pro, but the problem is does that users are in Azure Active Directory users.When they log on to their PC they cant access any shared folders or files which are accessable on other users who...
  3. How to share file and folder from local network with AAD user?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to share file and folder from local network with AAD user?: I have to allow users from my company to access files and folders on PC with win 10 pro, but the problem is does that users are in Azure Active Directory users.When they log on to their PC they cant access any shared folders or files which are accessable on other users who...
  4. How to share file and folder from local network with AAD user?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Not able to transfer or receive files on PC using local network

Not able to transfer or receive files on PC using local network: I'm trying to be able to transfer files using a shared folder that I connected with my phone. I have already set this up previously but I accidentally signed into my shared profile instead of my regular profile and I think that's what messed it up. Now when I type ipconfig...
  6. Not being able to transfer or receive files on PC using local network

Not being able to transfer or receive files on PC using local network: I'm trying to be able to transfer files using a shared folder that I connected with my phone. I have already set this up previously but I accidentally signed into my shared profile instead of my regular profile and I think that's what messed it up. Now when I type ipconfig...
  7. Not being able to transfer or receive files on PC using local network

Not being able to transfer or receive files on PC using local network: I'm trying to be able to transfer files using a shared folder that I connected with my phone. I have already set this up previously but I accidentally signed into my shared profile instead of my regular profile and I think that's what messed it up. Now when I type ipconfig...
  8. MS Teams - not able to upload files

MS Teams - not able to upload files: I've registered for a free MS Teams setup in the Netherlands for my small company. That all worked well, but when i start up MS Teams it seems I cannot upload any files, the options are simply not there in the taskbar. Do I need to do anything else or was the setup not 100%...
  9. Not able to upload file from device in windows 10

Not able to upload file from device in windows 10: Hi Team, I am not able to upload any thing on internet. When I am clicking on "Upload" button not getting any pop up. Please help me with solution. Regards, Neha * Moved from IE10/other...
  10. Local network: uploads way slower than downloads on local network

Local network: uploads way slower than downloads on local network: Update: see iperf tests below. Issue appears to be OS-related. No speed problems on Linux boxes, Windows causes upload slowdown. Issue: using local gigabit network uploads peak at 7-10MB/s while downloads fully saturate the link at 110MB/s. This happens whether connected...