Windows 10: User password not accepted after holiday

Discus and support User password not accepted after holiday in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; A friend recently returned from a 2 week holiday. His W10 desktop PC now rejects his password and will not let him in. He assures me that he had not... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by imaginarynumber, Feb 11, 2017.

1. User password not accepted after holiday

A friend recently returned from a 2 week holiday.

His W10 desktop PC now rejects his password and will not let him in. He assures me that he had not changed the password. He has doubled checked that caps/num lock, etc, are not active. I believe him.

He was coerced into creating an MS (online) account when he first set the PC up (over a year ago) in the form of <his_name>@outlook.com.

He has tried to reset the password via the relevant MS pages but has been locked out for two consecutive 24 hours periods. he provided his mobile phone number, entered the code and then failed questions such as his mother's maiden name

I suggested that he contact MS support chat. They asked a number of questions, such as have you ever purchased anything via your MS profile. Unfortunately he hasn't, nor has he ever used <his_name>@outlook.com to send emails.

Unhelpfully they simply stated that as someone had tried to change the password, he should just create a new MS online profile- completely sidestepping the fact that he can't log into his PC if he creates a new online profile.

I am happy to go to his tomorrow and use the W10 DVD to create a new (local) user on the PC. He thinks that his copy of W10 is the home edition.

If it is Home,

1. is it safe to assume that the original data will not be encrypted?

2. When you boot your PC, is MS really double checking your (locally) entered password with the one stored online? In the event of the keyboard being at fault, and for example a key not functionally properly, if I take a new keyboard will the PC still expect his regular password or will it go online and and notice that it has suspended his MS account?

Any advice before I go there (in approx 24 hours) will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

:)

imaginarynumber, Feb 11, 2017

2. User Account Password not accepted after upgrading to Windows 10

Original Title: Windows 10 scam

Yesterday, after receiving several pop ups to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, I finally upgraded. Before when I turned on my laptop I had 2 user accounts, both mine, user and admin. My hard drive was previously partitioned due to a huge crash. I have been
    using the second "admin" login for a long time with no problems.

Now that I have "upgraded" when I try to login to my computer, there is a user password needed and none of my passwords work!

I am completely locked out of my laptop and I have a lot of very valuable (to me) files, pictures and documents on it. I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop and was running windows 8 previously.

HELP!!!!!!!!

i can't get into my computer! Somebody help me! Please.

thank you in advance.

JohnPatrick66, Feb 11, 2017
  3. User Account Password not accepted after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you type in your password using the On-screen keyboard and see if it helps.

Follow the steps to enable on-screen keyboard.

1. Click on the Ease of Access icon on the bottom-right corner of the screen and select
    On screen keyboard.

2. Try to type in your password using the On-screen keyboard.

Once you have successfully logged into the system. Go to the device manager and update your keyboard driver.

Follow the steps.

• Right-click on Start (Windows) icon and select
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right-click on the Keyboard and click Update driver software.
    Hope this helps. Please reply if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Feb 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

User password not accepted after holiday

Know how to enable the built-in administrator account using option 4 here:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option4

Also try logging in with the computer disconnected from the internet. Logging in with no internet connection makes the computer look for the password stored on the computer vice the internet, but this likely will not work since he has already been denied with the computer connected to the internet.

NavyLCDR, Feb 11, 2017
  5. MoridinUK Win User
    My mother is having a similar problem though she claims it sometimes lets her in and sometimes does not. are we assuming a hack for these or some kind of odd bug

MoridinUK, Feb 11, 2017
  6. I had a keyboard call where the right shift key would stick, intermittently. When it was stuck down if you used left shift key it would not produce any character. Then when the key released everything was fine. The person I was working with swore the password was right. Swapped keyboard and she was right.

Caledon Ken, Feb 12, 2017
  7. Urgh...

Got there, armed with a W10 cd.

Disconnected the Wifi and asked him to enter his password as normal.

THEN I asked him to click on the icon to show him the password that he had entered.

He noticed that the @ had now become a ".

Yep, the machine had defaulted to the US American keyboard at login. He had never installed the US keyboard but for whatever reason the machine defaulted to it.

He was able to log in, at which point it defaulted back to UK English for the (only) user profile.

I have deleted the US language option and set up an additional admin account.

imaginarynumber, Feb 12, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

*Roflmao2 there should be a law against using @ or " in a password *Smile

That give me an idea - with the ENG INTL keyboard I can set the password to PÄSSWÖRD for extra security (?)

Seriously though, with multiple keyboards installed the clue should have been an 'input method' button at the bottom right of the login screen.

9. That's the weird thing though. I don't recall ever seeing it there before, that said, the last time I used his PC was about a year ago.

I don't understand why Windows has decided to install (and revert to) the US keyboard. There was only one user and that user was set to UK English.

Although I deleted the US option from his profile, I don't know how to delete it from the log in screen?

imaginarynumber, Feb 13, 2017
  10. Kari Win User
    This does not completely remove the US input language (keyboard layout) but it sets UK English as default on login screen:

1.) Press WIN + R to open Run dialog

2.) Type control intl.cpl, press Enter to open Control Panel's Regional settings

3.) Select Administrative tab, select Copy settings:

User password not accepted after holiday [​IMG]

4.) Check that Input Language under Current user is correct, in your case English (United Kingdom), change in settings if not

5.) Select Copy your current settings to Welcome screen and system accounts, click OK:

User password not accepted after holiday [​IMG]

11. Kari Great.

Thanks Karl

imaginarynumber, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User password not accepted after holiday - Similar Threads - User password accepted

2. Change Password: Password not accepted???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Password: Password not accepted???: Hail all:Safety is a thing, rite?So, I wanted to slightly update my password.Not too hard, right?Figured, I get me a somewhat safe password, like, oh, I dunno, maybe something like,...
  3. Troubleshoot menu won't accept my user password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshoot menu won't accept my user password: Hey,We had few months ago that power outage, and I got blue screen.I managed to fix that by taking my pc to some repair store and they replaced my cd drive and all fixed.After a while I got that blue screen again in loops. Every time I start my pc - its loading till the Login...
  4. Troubleshoot menu won't accept my user password

Troubleshoot menu won't accept my user password: Hey,We had few months ago that power outage, and I got blue screen.I managed to fix that by taking my pc to some repair store and they replaced my cd drive and all fixed.After a while I got that blue screen again in loops. Every time I start my pc - its loading till the Login...
  5. Troubleshoot menu won't accept my user password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Password not accepted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password not accepted: My correct password is not accepted, also PIN not available error, trying to reset, comes back to same screen asking for password, trued to use command prompt or any troubleshooting asks for password. Suddenly I see 23 users in recorvery option to save files. The Gmail...
  7. Password not accepted

Password not accepted: My correct password is not accepted, also PIN not available error, trying to reset, comes back to same screen asking for password, trued to use command prompt or any troubleshooting asks for password. Suddenly I see 23 users in recorvery option to save files. The Gmail...
  8. Password not accepted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. .Password not accepted

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    .Password not accepted: OneDrive wasn't accepting my password but my Microsoft Account was. So I changed the password in my Microsoft account but it is the only program accepting the new password. I am using Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Also deleted Authenticator App and reinstalled but it also is...
  10. Password not accepted after clean boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Password not accepted after clean boot: In order to test my windows performance I did a clean boot as described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows Now Im not able to login using my PIN code and when using my microsoft account (I see my account`s avatar...