Windows 10: User Permissions Get Mixed Up When Using Switch User

Discus and support User Permissions Get Mixed Up When Using Switch User in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am having a permissions issue when using "switch user". I have one account which is a domain administrator with full rights to most things on the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by terri8502, Feb 15, 2017.

1. terri8502 Win User

User Permissions Get Mixed Up When Using Switch User

I am having a permissions issue when using "switch user". I have one account which is a domain administrator with full rights to most things on the internet (including yahoo.com). I have another account which is mostly locked out of internet access. If the non-admin employee is using the PC and has an issue, and then uses "switch user" and the admin person signs in, the admin cannot get to anything on the internet, it appears the permissions of the first user take over.

The same thing happens if I reverse the process. I rebooted the PC and had the admin sign in. We could access Yahoo. Then did a "switch user" and had the non-admin sign in and now she could also get to yahoo.

I am running a test now to see if the permission will clear up after some time. So far they have not. ** update, the permissions finally cleared up and the non-admin person cannot get to internet. Took about 30 minutes **

Is this by design? If so, does anyone know why? If not is anyone else experiencing this issue or have ideas as to why I am having it?

Thoughts appreciated!

:)

terri8502, Feb 15, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

Run as administrator Windows 10 Pro

You might have heard about the System "user".

Thanks for the detail Denis,

The section above is indeed where I was getting mixed up and I thought when you select Run as administrator it was using settings from the "System" permissions.

Thanks again, you learn something every day.

Neil

neilpzz, Feb 15, 2017
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Change microsoft account associated with built in administrator account

Log back in as the local user, switch it back to a Microsoft Account. The dialogue will allow you to use any valid email address, it does not have to be the same one as initially set up.

Because you are changing the same account all the permissions will still be in effect.

HairyFool, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Is this on a domain using a profile download from the DC?

Samuria, Feb 15, 2017
  5. terri8502 Win User
    Yes, we are a Microsoft shop and use active directory. These accounts are both in AD.

terri8502, Feb 16, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    If it pulls profile from DC it can take time to replicate it will use cached profile not updated

Samuria, Feb 16, 2017
  7. terri8502 Win User
    Thanks so much for the info!

terri8502, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User Permissions Get Mixed Up When Using Switch User - Similar Threads - User Permissions Mixed

2. user permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user permissions: hi. i tried to set permissons on my user account for another drive. it has done all its things but i get a error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/db724478-68a3-47a6-8059-93a0ae0cbbbb
  3. user permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user permissions: hi. i tried to set permissons on my user account for another drive. it has done all its things but i get a error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/db724478-68a3-47a6-8059-93a0ae0cbbbb
  4. user permissions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Mixing users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Mixing users: 1. When a second user is created and logs in to his account, all the applications he installed appear in the other user's file system and on the desktop.2. The settings that the second user applies also work on the first user. Example: in cs go the system volume is changed by...
  6. Mixing users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mixing users: 1. When a second user is created and logs in to his account, all the applications he installed appear in the other user's file system and on the desktop.2. The settings that the second user applies also work on the first user. Example: in cs go the system volume is changed by...
  7. Mixing users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Switch User accounts not showing up and switch user option not popping up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switch User accounts not showing up and switch user option not popping up: My wife and I share a pc and before the recent update We both independently used our own logins and accounts to access my compute. After this newest windows update no matter what I try from making a random blank no Microsoft login account to erasing her from the pc and...
  9. USER PERMISSIONS?

in Windows 10 Customization
    USER PERMISSIONS?: I have been using a sleep apnea data app on Win 10 for several months with no issues. Over the last week or so, the app has become non-functional. I have sought help from the Apnea Board community and have tried numerous fixes with no success. One of the forum advisors...
  10. User Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Permissions: How do I reset all user permissions to default. I may have accidentally deleted a profile that is needed., Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/97475d02-2691-484b-ad2a-99bd5e802315