Windows 10: User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account?

Discus and support User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a machine I have had for a few years and has been working fine. Suddenly a couple days ago Dropbox gave me an error that it couldn't start and... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by sfaust, Dec 29, 2018.

1. sfaust Win User

User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account?

I have a machine I have had for a few years and has been working fine. Suddenly a couple days ago Dropbox gave me an error that it couldn't start and said the error was 'usually because of a permissions error'. Since then, Photoshop will not start, saying it doesn't have access to some files it needs, and I have several other programs that are not working correctly with similar messages. My main account that I use is an admin account, but it is still giving these messages. I did figure out that if I start Dropbox or Photoshop in admin mode they start ok. Other programs also start as administrator and work better but some still seem to have issues.

One program mentions the a folder under the local app data temp folder (C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp) so I went there to see what I can see for permissions. My account is listed with full permissions to that folder. I do notice that there is an odd security item named 'LogonSessionId_0_1568081 (NT AUTHORITY)" that I don't remember seeing, but it's not listed as having any permissions at all except for 'special permissions' which is grayed out... If I go to 'Advanced' and 'Edit' for that account it shows basic permissions of 'Read & Execute, List folder contents, and Read'.

I also found in a subfolder of the above named 'UnionWinmdWorkingFolder'. When I go to permissions here it tells me 'You do not have permission to view this objects security properties, even as an administrative user.'

Lastly, along side that temp folder, There are 53 folders named something like 'Tempzxpsign0ce74a38c9836c50' (All start with 'Tempzxpsign' and then have a bunch of letters and numbers after them). All appear to be empty from what I can see.

The only things I can think of that I have installed recently are the Angular CLI and one or two node.js packages but those were well before the issue started...

Anyone else seen this or had this issue? Is this some type of virus? BitDefender doesn't detect anything...

:)

sfaust, Dec 29, 2018

2. Win7 User Admin permissions broken

Basically it's an administrative user not the root admin , I don't know what it went wrong with settings and i forogot , but the permissions for it account were messed and now it cannot delete/edit sometimes stuff that came from rar or downloader or even installs, plus cannot uninstal most of programs , it's only possible with root admin (hidden), is there a way to restore these privilegies.

Also the error points "You need administrative privilegies from Administrators/[Nickname] "
    BUT I AM THE DAMN USER !!!!

It's not my PC so i really don't want to dig it up from scratch.

The PC has RAID0 so basically im not going to go over that again with a reinstall/reformat. ... takes time.

RuskiSnajper, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Admin account corrupted

Hi Joshua.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you enter into safe mode and enable built-in administrator and check.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select
      Safe mode and then press Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press
      CTRL + Shift + ESC.

• Click File >
      Run New Task.

• Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

• Type CMD.

• Type the following command and hit
      Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    6. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type
    net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Step 3: Create a new user account in Safe Mode and give admin privileges to the new account.

Create a new user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

After creating new user account, press Windows key, type
    Mange your account
    and hit Enter. Click on Family
    and other users
    and select the newly created account. Now change the account type to
    Administrator.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Dec 29, 2018
  4. Raner Win User

My admin account switched to a user account!

My account may have gotten corrupt in the update, Don't know for sure.
    I do know this, This mess is way above my paygrade...LOL...
    I really need some help to try to fix this issue.
    The attachments can explain far better than me trying type what exactly is going on.
    All I can say it's looks pretty darn complicated to me.
    I hoping it looks worse than it is.

User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account? [​IMG]

I think the simplest way to address this is to make my account an administrator again.
    If it can be done, I'm going to need a step by step on how to do it.
    Let me know what you all think...Thanks...

Raner, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

1. User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account? - Similar Threads - User permissions incorrect

2. Unable to create a new user admin account without current admin permissions

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to create a new user admin account without current admin permissions: I am trying to create an admin account for myself a work. I am currently using an old account from a previous employee as all other accounts are password protected. I nor my employers have the passwords for any of these accounts. The password protected accounts are admin...
  3. the admin account’s permissions are broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the admin account’s permissions are broken.: on my PC this is by the way the same admin account from my last PC that is tied to my Microsoft account. The reason i know this is in fact the problem is i am trying to get Battle.net the application to run it gets stuck on the log in and fails to load regardless of having...
  4. the admin account’s permissions are broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the admin account’s permissions are broken.: on my PC this is by the way the same admin account from my last PC that is tied to my Microsoft account. The reason i know this is in fact the problem is i am trying to get Battle.net the application to run it gets stuck on the log in and fails to load regardless of having...
  5. Admin account that does not have admin permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Admin account that does not have admin permissions: My Windows 10 account is an administrator account. Lately when I try to update an app or install a new app, I am prompted that the action cannot be done without administrator permissions. Um, doesn't an administrator account have administrator permissions? This is getting...
  6. USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISSIONS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISSIONS: HI, I HAVE BEEN HACKED BADLY AND THE HACKER HAS CHANGED USER ACCOUNT ADMIN PERMISIONS BLOCKING ME FROM HAVING ADMIN ACCESS AND EVEN MY TROUBLESHOOTER IS UNACCESSABLE NOW AS I DONT HAVE PERMISSION TO FIX ANYTHING EVEN THOUGH IM THE OWNER AND SOLE USER OF THIS LAPTOP SINCE I...
  7. User account permission

in Windows 10 Customization
    User account permission: I was just on with Adobe customer support for over 6 hours to troubleshoot why an Adobe Photomerge feature does not work on my machine. While they made me update everything in Windows and my video driver, nothing helped. Finally, the customer service person asked if they...
  8. Admin Account Aking for Admin permissions.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin Account Aking for Admin permissions.: Windows 10 20h2 Im going nuts with this new level of protection. Turned the Uac to the lowest, still im having windows pooping all the time asking for permissions sometimes applications that cant do some actions unless im as admin or copying files to specific folders, its...
  9. Corrupted Admin Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Corrupted Admin Account: Hello, Approximately 2 +/- weeks ago I posted a question regarding my corrupted admin account along with what I had done to solve the issue. Have not heard a thing so have been left to search your database in order to resolve the issue. Since then I have tried other...
  10. User account permissions...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account permissions...: Purchased a new PC - ran the initial setup routines and set myself as (sole) user. Also set with NO password/local account... However, when I right-click-run-as-administrator an exe file or shortcut to run a programme I always recieve a pop-up asking if I want to make...