Windows 10: User profile and default app issues after updating to 20H2

Discus and support User profile and default app issues after updating to 20H2 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just updated my Windows 10 Home to 20H2. When it finished the update and restarted I could not sign in to my profile. After several attempts and shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Alicia J, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Alicia J Win User

User profile and default app issues after updating to 20H2

I just updated my Windows 10 Home to 20H2. When it finished the update and restarted I could not sign in to my profile. After several attempts and shut downs, it finally allowed me to sign in. Now I am getting a ton of messages saying "an app caused a problem with the default app (then it lists the app, there are many) so it was reset to the default app.

Every time I try to change the default to my choice, not the one Microsoft says is default, I get the same message and it reverts back to the default Microsoft app.

How do I resolve this mess?

:)

Alicia J, Jan 13, 2021
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done User profile and default app issues after updating to 20H2 :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jan 13, 2021
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Jan 13, 2021
  4. User profile and default app issues after updating to 20H2

New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

User profile and default app issues after updating to 20H2

1. User profile and default app issues after updating to 20H2 - Similar Threads - User profile default

2. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  3. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  4. Cannot access default profile upon update to 20H2

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot access default profile upon update to 20H2: Hi, I just updated to version 20H2 of Windows 10, and my normal profile has a DNS sinkhole in it it acts as DNS. Therefore I cannot access the internet as it has defaulted to a new temporary profile which the sinkhole is not configured toHow can I change back to my previous...
  5. Copy Users Profile All Users and Default User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy Users Profile All Users and Default User: How to copy All Users and Default User from C drive to D drive?All Users and Default User seems to be shortcut icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-users-profile-all-users-and-default-user/e94bb39f-d648-4b2e-a930-a7aea4c158e2
  6. Customize Default Profile for AzureAD Users?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize Default Profile for AzureAD Users?: Hello, Is there a way to customize the Default Profile for AzureAD Users? We have a Windows 10 image that we captured using CloneZilla Lite Server. That image was then configured by changing the settings, default apps, items pinned on Start menu and Taskbar, as well as...
  7. User profile Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User profile Issue: I was trying to change my username in C: drive instead I ended creating two folders with all my files and now windows has created a TEMP folder and all of my new details are being saved into that folder. Please Help on how to have a permanent user name folder with a desired...
  8. User profile issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User profile issue: Hello all So when I restart my laptop, I have the option to login as administrator or there is another username. I can login as administrator but apparently all my files are under the other profile. The password I previously used says it's wrong. When I login as admin, I...
  9. Customize Edge for default user profile

in Browsers and Email
    Customize Edge for default user profile: Hello All I would like to know what settings can be customized in Edge and copied to default user profile. So it will be available for all user logging to the machine. I tried to customize Edge, set a home page and display the favorite toolbar for example. However after...
  10. Default user profile startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default user profile startup: I added a user profile for my wife to my PC, but for some reason the PC always boots tmher profile and Imhave to sign myself in. Is there a way t make my profile the default. Have removed the need for login with netplwiz. thanks UPDATE found the answer in netplwiz just had...