Windows 10: User Profile Folder Name

Discus and support User Profile Folder Name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Austin Cain, Apr 28, 2019.

1. User Profile Folder Name

This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your current folder, signing in to new user, deleting old account, linking new account with existing Microsoft account, and recovering all your files. Is just too much BS to go through to change a simple name on a folder.

I upgraded from Windows 7. Honestly rather than dealing with the folder naming issue I may try to go back to Windows 7. I don't want to really do that though. I just want them to listen to customers and fix it. I'm not the only person with this issue. This has been a troublesome topic since at least 2015. I spent a bit of time on search engines and read a few topics. I just don't know why they won't fix it. At least they could just ask the question about what you want your folder to be named during install instead of all people just get to have a lowercase five digit abbreviation.

I know this is a silly topic to get so worked up about but it really bothers me to see the last letter of my name chopped off like that.

:)

Austin Cain, Apr 28, 2019
  2. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 28, 2019
  4. User Profile Folder Name

Change user folder name

Hello Lavisch,

You can safely use the method in the tutorial below to rename the user profile folder for your account.

Just to make sure, it is critical that you do step 1 and 2. You will need to be signed out of the account you want to rename the user profile folder for.

Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

User Profile Folder Name

1. User Profile Folder Name - Similar Threads - User Profile Folder

2. Fix the user profile folder and name on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix the user profile folder and name on Windows 11: After a fresh Windows 11 installation, Windows chose a different local component for my user profile. Then it beautifully restored a backup from my previous version into a horribly broken and useless state because many of the things it restored depended on absolute...
  3. Fix the user profile folder and name on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix the user profile folder and name on Windows 11: After a fresh Windows 11 installation, Windows chose a different local component for my user profile. Then it beautifully restored a backup from my previous version into a horribly broken and useless state because many of the things it restored depended on absolute...
  4. User Profile Name by Default

User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  5. Windows profile user name

Windows profile user name: I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10...
  6. Windows profile user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows profile user name: I have noticed that the user profile name in C:\Users is the 1st 5 chars of the MS account. In our family, we have 2 person whos MS account have the same 1st 5 chars. Would this cause problems if I add these 2 accounts? Is it possible to make the profile name as the 1st 10...
  7. Need help with changing name of user profile folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder: I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign...
  8. Need help with changing name of user profile folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder: I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign...
  9. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824
  10. Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10: How to: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 How to Change the Name of a User Profile Folder in Windows 10 When signs in to the new account for the first time. A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you...