Windows 10: User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

Discus and support User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please Help Following the most recent windows updates I had a couple of intermittent problems as follows: 1. On occasion the PC would boot to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Techno-palpable, Mar 24, 2020.

1. User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

Please Help

Following the most recent windows updates I had a couple of intermittent problems as follows:

1. On occasion the PC would boot to a fresh desktop with program icons but all of my desktop files and folders gone as well as taskbar shortcuts disappeared.

2. The language changed form Australian to English UK - only picked it up when I went to type the @ symbol and got " instead.

Language was easy enough to switch.

For the first problem above I was able to resolve by clicking the windows icon then signing out then back in and the problem resolved itself. It happened 3 times

Last night it did the same thing again but this time the above reset did not work and I now cannot retrieve my desktop setup including the files, folders and worse have lost the taskbar links to things like outlook tolaunch my email etc.

When I open explorer and navigate to the "C:\Users" folder I can see my profile folder and all of the files appear to be there. Though I cant find a link to launch outlook for my email.

When I navigate to C:\ [my user name] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu \ Programs \ Startup

there is only one file in the folder - Send to OneNote

I have had a bit of a look at some of the suggestions and have made sure I am not in Tablet mode, have tried restarting explorer and nothing works.

I thought about uninstalling the most recent Windows updates but I cannot as they were installed more than 10 days ago so that option is taken away.

I don't know what to do from hear and would appreciate any help in particular to get my email back.

Thanks

:)

Techno-palpable, Mar 24, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Profile Folder On Desktop

Hello,

I request you to follow the steps below:

• Go to Start menu > Settings > Personalization > Themes > Desktop icon settings.
    • Uncheck "User's profile" and click on OK.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Mar 24, 2020
  4. sturpe Win User

User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

1. User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons - Similar Threads - User profile lost

2. desktop icon missing from user folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icon missing from user folder: Hello! I'm having an issue with the desktop folder icon always disappearing from the user folder. The desktop folder is there but just as a plain folder. Found the post by Shawn Brink on how to check the desktop.ini file and that is good. Oddly enough I had a similar issue...
  3. lost desktop folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost desktop folder: I moved the desktop folder to OneDrive and now OneDrive folder contents are displayed on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-desktop-folder/46138ec7-d489-43e9-80e1-c37873e03193
  4. Lost desktop icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost desktop icons: My wife was trying to delete document icons on screen two. She clicked one then hit shift to highlight them all. The problem lies in that she didn't release the shift button before moving the mouse toward the recycle bin. In her path, she wiped out multiple icons on screen...
  5. Windows 10 lost and icons including Dashlane

Windows 10 lost and icons including Dashlane: I turned on my laptop yesterday to find Windows 10 gone and replaced by Windows 7 and the loss of most of my files along with Dashlane. I had protection to my computer and there were no issues. I have tried everything to recover what was lost but have been unsuccessful and am...
  6. User/profile is downloads folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User/profile is downloads folder: So i don't know what i did but my "User" profile shows the download symbol. Sorry it's not in English Imgur: The magic of the Internet Imgur: The magic of the Internet (this means users/profiles) Imgur: The magic of the Internet (this is supposed to be my user/profile but...
  7. Lost Users folder

Lost Users folder: In the properties for my C:\Users\ten24 folder, I checked "Hidden", hoping to be able to get to my AppData file. I wasn't paying attention to what happened after that, but now the ten24 folder is gone, with all of the files in Documents, etc. Is there someway for me to...
  8. User Profile Folder Name

User Profile Folder Name: This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your...
  9. Lost All Taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost All Taskbar icons: I lost all my taskbar icons in Windows 10 when I did a restart and need to get them all back. I am running a Lenovo X1 Tablet PC in desktop mode and had large icons selected, but now I only have the Search box and the Task View icon all by itself. How do I get the other icons...
  10. Restore profile permissions to user profile folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restore profile permissions to user profile folder: I'm not sure why but sometimes when i port a profile over(make new profile, move all files/folder to temp folder, move old profile folder/files in then move the new profile over it) edge and the start menu break. Take ownership seems to miss alot of things and using the...