Windows 10: User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

Discus and support User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Please Help Following the most recent windows updates I had a couple of intermittent problems as follows: 1. On occasion the PC would boot to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Techno-palpable, Mar 24, 2020.

1. User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

Please Help

Following the most recent windows updates I had a couple of intermittent problems as follows:

1. On occasion the PC would boot to a fresh desktop with program icons but all of my desktop files and folders gone as well as taskbar shortcuts disappeared.

2. The language changed form Australian to English UK - only picked it up when I went to type the @ symbol and got " instead.

Language was easy enough to switch.

For the first problem above I was able to resolve by clicking the windows icon then signing out then back in and the problem resolved itself. It happened 3 times

Last night it did the same thing again but this time the above reset did not work and I now cannot retrieve my desktop setup including the files, folders and worse have lost the taskbar links to things like outlook tolaunch my email etc.

When I open explorer and navigate to the "C:\Users" folder I can see my profile folder and all of the files appear to be there. Though I cant find a link to launch outlook for my email.

When I navigate to C:\ [my user name] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu \ Programs \ Startup

there is only one file in the folder - Send to OneNote

I have had a bit of a look at some of the suggestions and have made sure I am not in Tablet mode, have tried restarting explorer and nothing works.

I thought about uninstalling the most recent Windows updates but I cannot as they were installed more than 10 days ago so that option is taken away.

I don't know what to do from hear and would appreciate any help in particular to get my email back.

Thanks

:)

Techno-palpable, Mar 24, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Profile Folder On Desktop

Hello,

I request you to follow the steps below:

• Go to Start menu > Settings > Personalization > Themes > Desktop icon settings.
    • Uncheck "User's profile" and click on OK.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Mar 24, 2020
  4. sturpe Win User

User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons

1. User profile lost including desktop files, folders and taskbar icons - Similar Threads - User profile lost

2. User profile lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profile lost: Hello, I have deleted my user profile by mistake and I was trying to get it back.I can see my profile in users folder in C driver with all its contents and I can see the SID for my user profile when I search for it in the Registry editor; however, it seems my windows can't...
  3. User profile lost

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User profile lost: Hello, I have deleted my user profile by mistake and I was trying to get it back.I can see my profile in users folder in C driver with all its contents and I can see the SID for my user profile when I search for it in the Registry editor; however, it seems my windows can't...
  4. User profile lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Desktop icons on 2 separate user profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons on 2 separate user profiles: Do I have to share the same icons/folders/apps, etc...on the desktop of my user profile screen? I don't need/want most of the things on her user desktop. However, when I delete an item from "my" desktop it also deletes that same item from "hers"....
  6. Desktop icons on 2 separate user profiles

Desktop icons on 2 separate user profiles: Do I have to share the same icons/folders/apps, etc...on the desktop of my user profile screen? I don't need/want most of the things on her user desktop. However, when I delete an item from "my" desktop it also deletes that same item from "hers"....
  7. Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop: Hello,Surprisingly, since yesterday, there is a duplicate folder of my user:/profile on the desktop. The files in it are the same as in my C:\Users folder and I am afraid, deleting the folder from the desktop will delete the C:\Users folder too.Can someone help?Regards,Arup...
  8. Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop

Duplicate user profile folder on Desktop: Hello,Surprisingly, since yesterday, there is a duplicate folder of my user:/profile on the desktop. The files in it are the same as in my C:\Users folder and I am afraid, deleting the folder from the desktop will delete the C:\Users folder too.Can someone help?Regards,Arup...
  9. lost desktop-user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost desktop-user profile: Last night my computer was acting weird - slow, hanging up, etc. I turned it off. The monitor turned off, but the computer stayed on. I unplugged it for fear there was some kind of intrusion that McAfee was not containing. This morning I plugged it back in and turned it on. A...
  10. User profiles and File Explorer USERS folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User profiles and File Explorer USERS folders: When I started up my new HP laptop it used my signon name to create a "myname" profile but it didn't create any files under /USERS/myname. I than created another account profile with"newname" with administrator permission as an emergency backup. That profile name was given...