Windows 10: User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE

Discus and support User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Summary: Originally The below post was posted by Johan Ole Svensson as the result of an internal Survey on his part. Sadly he made the mistake to just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JanineMarchese, Jan 10, 2019.

1. User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE

Summary:
    Originally The below post was posted by Johan Ole Svensson as the result of an internal Survey on his part.
    Sadly he made the mistake to just point to the excellent answer over at "Experts Exchange" but "Experts Exchange" have shut down access for users without a paid account.
    I therefore contacted Johan and got the answer from him.
    I'll post his original survey, questions and findings here, because I find this needs to be publicly available, as Johans findings has been a tremendous timesaver to us.

Original post from Johan:

Over the spring we conducted a user migration program “survey”. Both for implementation in our SCCM environment but also as to ascertain what possibilities we have to do migrations on the fly.
    Often we need to migrate users to another PC without reinstalling the PC and we do have scripts that makes us capable of running USMT on the fly - run from, and storing to, a USB disk.

After a preliminary search on Google, we decided mainly to focus on:
    USMT (as it is part of SCCM)
    Forensit TransWiz and
    Laplink PCmover Express, endorsed by Microsoft.

There are many other user migration solution providers, some part of deployment solution packages, some not. We checked a bunch, but Forensit and Laplink carry some weight and you can find many recommendations in forums etc. especially for Forensit. Both are commercial products
    None of the two integrates in SCCM but Transwiz can theoretically be used with SCCM, as it can be run by a command line. We mainly decided to test them for “on the fly” purposes though.

USMT
    Settings for most research applications we use, like Jitter, Endnote and Reference manager migrates perfectly with our own xml files.
    But USMT has some real world technical issues both as to migration capabilities as well as the maintenance that has degraded alarmingly over the last years with Windows 10. Main issues:

We see BIG issues with the user interface migration (Tiles, Start menu, taskbar) that messes up.
    AppX Application settings isn’t migrated.
    Firefox and Chrome migrations are fixed but Firefox has to be the exact same version or it fails.
    We need to check logs manually (we do it with a script) to make sure the profile backed up OK.

Forenzit and Laplink
    We have tested both Forensit and Laplink out of the box in different scenarios, from Windows 7 to 10, Windows 10 to Windows 10 to/from domains and to Azure.
    Overall, both Transwiz and PCMover Express works with local accounts and domain profiles in the sense that you can login afterwards. (Not all tools we tried worked. Some not at all!!)
    Surprisingly both above seem to more or less just copy everything over but as we do not want user account profiles with extensive amounts of simply junk coied over, cache files, temp files etc. this is not a good scenario.

Forensit issues
    Most of our custom program settings did not migrate,
    PC’s with Office 365 account had a totally crashed Outlook and we had to reinstall the PC.
    No help offered: http://forum.forensit.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1590
    Migration to Azure simply does not work. Forensit are the only company we found offering migration to Azure but as far as we got it does not work.

Laplink issues
    Most of our custom program settings did not migrate or the application would not start afterwards.
    PC’s with Office 365 had a totally crashed Outlook and we had to reinstall the PC.
    Laplink offers 24 hour support but during the 30 day test period we did not get any of our issues solved.

NO Microsoft Support
    As Microsoft Premium support member we also had another surprise down the road. Microsoft does not assist with any issues after using third party migration software. Including Laplink that Microsoft endorses.
    They simply refused to assist with our Office 365 issues after learning that we used a third party tool.

Conclusion
    As you can probably sense, we’re disappointed. Not surprised though. The way Microsoft has smack implemented their “mobile interface” and insist on making deep technical changes every 6 months, meaning there are 6 different Windows 10 versions out there and add to that Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 plus hundreds of thousands of programs, it actually would be a surprise if it was any different.

Update: We have started using EhlerTechs XML files for USMT.

Help
    However wiser, this leaves us back where we started. With USMT.
    We now have two people working full time on fixing the remaining issues as described above.

All inputs: Application suggestions and help in general is deeply appreciated.

Answers summed up
    Basically Johan got in contact with Thomas Ehler at EhlerTech, through using his custom XML files and later had help configuring some extra settings that has made our migrations more complete.
    Also Ehlertech has supplied professional tools for running USMT, making the whole process much simpler both running USMT but also regarding error handling.

:)

JanineMarchese, Jan 10, 2019

2. User profile migration – migrate user accounts

I have asked this question on Experts exchange and got good help, however a somewhat meager response and I hope to get more responses here...

Over the spring we conducted a user migration program “survey”. Both for implementation in our SCCM environment but also as to ascertain what possibilities we have to do migrations on the fly.

Often we need to migrate users to another PC without reinstalling the PC and we do have scripts that makes us capable of running USMT on the fly - run from, and storing to, a USB disk.

After a preliminary search on Google, we decided mainly to focus on:

USMT (as it is part of SCCM)

Forensit TransWiz and

Laplink PCmover Express, endorsed by Microsoft.

There are many other user migration solution providers, some part of deployment solution packages, some not. We checked a bunch, but Forensit and Laplink carry some weight and you can find many recommendations in forums etc. especially for Forensit. Both are
    commercial products

None of the two integrates in SCCM but Transwiz can theoretically be used with SCCM, as it can be run by a command line. We mainly decided to test them for “on the fly” purposes though.

USMT

Settings for most research applications we use, like Jitter, Endnote and Reference manager migrates perfectly with our own xml files.

But USMT has some real world technical issues both as to migration capabilities as well as the maintenance that has degraded alarmingly over the last years with Windows 10:

Main issues

We see BIG issues with the user interface migration (Tiles, Start menu, taskbar) that messes up.

AppX Application settings isn’t migrated.

Firefox and Chrome migrations are fixed but Firefox has to be the exact same version or it fails.

We need to check logs manually (we do it with a script) to make sure the profile backed up OK.

Forenzit and Laplink

We have tested both Forensit and Laplink out of the box in different scenarios, from Windows 7 to 10, Windows 10 to Windows 10 to/from domains and to Azure.

Overall, both Transwiz and PCMover Express works with local accounts and domain profiles in the sense that you can login afterwards. (Not all tools we tried worked. Some not at all!!)

Surprisingly both above seem to more or less just copy everything over but as we do not want user account profiles with extensive amounts of simply junk coied over, cache files, temp files etc. this is not a good scenario.

Forensit issues

Most of our custom program settings did not migrate,

PC’s with Office 365 account had a totally crashed Outlook and we had to reinstall the PC.

No help offered:
    http://forum.forensit.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1590

Migration to Azure simply does not work. Forensit are the only company we found offering migration to Azure but as far as we got it does not work.

Laplink issues

Most of our custom program settings did not migrate or the application would not start afterwards.

PC’s with Office 365 had a totally crashed Outlook and we had to reinstall the PC.

Laplink offers 24 hour support but during the 30 day test period we did not get any of our issues solved.

NO Microsoft Support

As Microsoft Premium support member we also had another surprise down the road. Microsoft does not assist with any issues after using third party migration software. Including Laplink that Microsoft endorses.

They simply refused to assist with our Office 365 issues after learning that we used a third party tool.

Conclusion

As you can probably sense, we’re disappointed. Not surprised though. The way Microsoft has smack implemented their “mobile interface” and insist on making deep technical changes every 6 months, meaning there are 6 different Windows 10 versions out there. add
    to that Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 plus hundreds of thousands of programs, it actually would be a surprise if it was any different.

Update: We have started using EhlerTechs XML files for USMT.

Help

However wiser this leaves us back where we started. With USMT. We now have two people working full time on fixing the remaining issues as described above.

All inputs: Application suggestions and help in general is deeply appreciated.

Please see more on the thread at
    Experts exchange
    prior to answering

Johan Ole Svensson, Jan 10, 2019
  3. migrate user profile

Dear All,

Please tell me how to migrate default user profile in domain user profile.

Regards

Adeel Ahmed

Adeel Utopia, Jan 10, 2019
  4. Rose Ter Win User

User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE

migrate user profile

Hi Adeel,

For us to better understand the problem and provide you the best resolution, please clarify the following:

• What do you mean when you mentioned domain user profile?
    • Are you trying to copy a local user profile to a domain account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE

1. User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE - Similar Threads - User profile migration

2. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  3. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  4. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Multi PC replacement scenario -> user data and user profile migration

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multi PC replacement scenario -> user data and user profile migration: We're planning to replace appr. 500 Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 PC's with new ones. The new PC's are delivered with Windows 10 and Office preinstalled and will be joined to our domain. Our goal is to transfer all their data, favorites, mail account settings etc,...
  6. Multi PC replacement scenario -> user data and user profile migration

in Windows 10 Support
    Multi PC replacement scenario -> user data and user profile migration: We're planning to replace appr. 500 Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 PC's with new ones. The new PC's are delivered with Windows 10 and Office preinstalled and will be joined to our domain. Our goal is to transfer all their data, favorites, mail account settings etc,...
  7. Multi PC replacement scenario - user data and user profile migration

Multi PC replacement scenario - user data and user profile migration: We're planning to replace appr 500 Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 PC's with new ones. The new PC's are delivered with Windows 10 and Office preinstalled and will be joined to our domain. Our goal is to transfer all their data, favorites, mail account settings etc,...
  8. User to User Data Migration

User to User Data Migration: When I got my current device, I used my parents Microsoft account for the main user and administrator on it. Now that I have my own account, I want to make a user using my personal information, but everything is on the first account. Is there a way I can migrate all the data...
  9. Migrating a Win10 User profile to a new acxount

Migrating a Win10 User profile to a new acxount: So here is my question. A user has changed her surname and due to other issues i have had to creat her a new AD account. I want to copy the whole contents of her user profile C:\Windows\users\••••• and then move it ti the new account, what is the easiest process to complete...
  10. Migrating Users to 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Users to 10: Because my old Hard drive crapped out, I've had to upgrade to windows 10. Every member of my family has their own log in. How can I migrate the data from their old profile to the new system?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. migrate profile to office 365 laplink

2. usmt migrate network Drives

3. usmt mapped drives

4. sccm post implementation survey questions,
  5. sccm task sequence usmt