Windows 10: User profile missing from login screen

Discus and support User profile missing from login screen in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by MateBagi, Aug 25, 2020.

1. MateBagi Win User

User profile missing from login screen

I cant log in to my main user profile.

Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close. This was the same if I tried to make a pin through Windows settings. I tried to find a solution online and most forums and the likes, including on Microsoft Answers said to delete the contents of the Ngc folder in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Ngc, which would rest pin data and allow me to remake it and Windows to realise this.

Initially it seemed to fix the issue as I did this on my user account and I was now able to set up a pin through Windows settings, however I tried to first relog then restart my PC just to make sure it worked but when I tried to log in again, my user account was gone from the login screen, and the only account was the default Windows Administrator account which I had enabled anyway.

From the Admin account I can see my user account, and before restarting it even said it was still logged in, but on clicking on it, it still just takes me to the Administrator login screen with no way to change user.

I tried multiple system restores to even a few days before this happened, but that didnt restore Ngc, and even said that documents werent affected by the restore. I also tried to navigate to where it should've been, and used the 'previous versions'
    tab from properties. Here theres actually an older version from before it was deleted but I cant restore or view it, because whether I try to open Ngc directly or from the previous version of the parent folder, access is denied. I cant copy the file or change the permissions or its owner, if I try that I get an error message saying 'The media is write protected', and I cant enter or copy the folder from powershell if I open the 'previous version' folder and shift right click to open powershell'.

The only way I have managed to in any way get inside the previous version of Ngc was through git bash which I already had on my PC. With that I can do right click>open git bash here, and I can navigate the contents of the Ngc folder and verify that this 'previous version' does actually have all the files.

so just to recap: I deleted the contents of Ngc to reset my pin. I cant restore it through system restore which leaves it unaffected. Although I know previous versions of the folder do contain the deleted files, I have no way to restore them, copy them or save them anywhere on my PC.

Is there any way I can still restore these files, or make Windows re-create them from scratch?

All my user specific files are still there, and the user still exists, I just cant log on to it.

:)

MateBagi, Aug 25, 2020

2. After entering password it’s user profile login failed

Hi Vicki Longnecker,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the complete error message that you get when you try to login to your computer?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to this computer prior to the issue?
    • Do you have any other administrator user account on the computer?
    • Are you using a Microsoft account or a local account?

Also, you can try launching the On-Screen Keyboard from the sign-in screen by selecting the
    Ease of Access button in the lower-right corner of the sign-in screen, and then select
    On-Screen Keyboard. Type the password using the On-Screen Keyboard and check if you are able to login to your computer.

I have gone through your post and it appears that this issue could be due to a
    user profile corruption or an existence of a temporary profile. In order to get clarity on this issue, I would suggest you to follow the steps below.

I suggest you to first Start your PC in Safe Mode and check if you are able to login to your computer.

If you are able to login to your user account in Safe Mode, then go to
    This PC
    > Double-click on the C: drive (drive where Operating System is installed) >
    Users folder. In the Users folder, check for any profiles with an unusual name or if there is a profile named as Temp and please reply us with the result.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

Shafeeq_Khan, Aug 25, 2020
  3. The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded.

Hello,

When attempting to login to my computer, I get the following message:

"The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded."

I referred to this Help article,You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error
    message,

but the only difference is I only have one user profile on this computer. So, I can't login with another user to go through the steps listed in this post.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gerald Matthews, Aug 25, 2020
  4. User profile missing from login screen

User Profiles not uploading at Start

Hi Ernie,

Your computer might have experience a fresh start when the upgrade occurred last December 16, 2017, and the user profiles on it got affected as well. However, let us not jump into any conclusions yet until we isolated your concern. Let's see if we'll be
    able to recover the missing user profile using a command line in command prompt.

• Open CMD as Administrator.
    • Enter this command "net localgroup “Administrators” [Computer Name][Missing User] /add".
    • Once done, restart your computer.

You may also check if you'll see the missing user profile/s in Local User and Groups manager. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Press the Windows + R on your keyboard, then type in lusrmgr.msc.
    • Click on Users, then check if the missing user profile is on the right pane.

Let us know if the above steps worked.

Carlos Tin, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

User profile missing from login screen

1. User profile missing from login screen - Similar Threads - User profile missing

2. Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen: I am just so frustrated right now.I got a new computer, it came with Windows 11, I am trying to access my work account, so I did the Access Work or School Account under the settings. Then tried to change users like on my old computer, and there is no Other User Icon on the...
  3. Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen: I am just so frustrated right now.I got a new computer, it came with Windows 11, I am trying to access my work account, so I did the Access Work or School Account under the settings. Then tried to change users like on my old computer, and there is no Other User Icon on the...
  4. Other User Icon Missing from Login Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Standard users missing from login screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Standard users missing from login screen: Since a system update to build 19042.906 earlier this week, only the administrator user is shown on the login screen. Windows 10 Home Reported fixes don't work. Adding new users doesn't help. Unupdated laptop works OK Can you advise. Thanks...
  6. User account missing from login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account missing from login screen: I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close....
  7. User account missing from login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User account missing from login screen: I cant log in to my main user profile. Previously I had an issue where I was getting notifications saying to set up Windows Hello, although I already had a pin, and when I tried to create a pin, it would ask for my pin to verify identity then the window would just close....
  8. ‎"Other user" option is missing from Login Screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    ‎"Other user" option is missing from Login Screen: So this morning I have installed a new Windows 10 on a Laptop. And after Windows 10 installation, I install my O365 software to this laptop and connect my work account with this Laptop then enable Ctrl+Alt+Del Login. Then after that I reboot the Laptop, an after I press...
  9. ‎Oher user option missing from Login Screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    ‎Oher user option missing from Login Screen: So this morning I have installed a new Windows 10 on a Laptop. And after Windows 10 installation, I install my O365 software to this laptop and connect my work account with this Laptop then enable Ctrl+Alt+Del Login. Then after that I reboot the Laptop, an after I press...
  10. Cannot Login. Missing users on login screen.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Login. Missing users on login screen.: I have a problem with an old aspire 5920. I've upgraded it correctly to the latest build of Win10 32bit. I was already on a clean Win10 installation. Now I cannot logon anymore because the logon screen is just empty. If I press enter the clock/screensaver disappear but the...