Windows 10: User profile name changed on me

Discus and support User profile name changed on me in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I noticed that I no longer have a User folder that matches my name in the c:\users directory. For some reason it is labeled as "Pictures" instead.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by NLarson_801, Dec 2, 2021.

1. User profile name changed on me

I noticed that I no longer have a User folder that matches my name in the c:\users directory. For some reason it is labeled as "Pictures" instead. However, if I navigate to the Users folder in Command Prompt it shows the folder name as "Nick". I am thinking that I may have accidentally moved my "pictures" location to the root Users folder at some point. I have manually moved all of my photos and sub folders to the "Pictures" sub folder where they belong, but I cannot get the folder to show "Nick" in Windows like it should.

:)

NLarson_801, Dec 2, 2021
  2. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

3. Changed device name but user name remained unchanged

Hi Norbert,

Changing the device name may take effect after restarting your computer. It's like making some changes to your computer and needs a restart or reboot for the changes to take effect. However, we suggest that you check if the old user profile are still on
    your computer. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Signed out from the profile that you want to change or remove.
    • Go to System Properties.
    • Press the Windows + R on your keyboard, then yype in SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe on the dialogue box.
    • Once done, click on Settings button under User Profiles.
    • Choose the user profile that you want, then click on delete if it's still there.
    • Click Yes to confirm.

We're looking forward to your feedback

Carlos Tin, Dec 2, 2021
  4. Jessen P Win User

User profile name changed on me

Query about changing the User Accounts name

Hi Jerry,

Perform the steps mentioned below to change the user account name.

• Sign in to the Your info page on the Microsoft account website.

• Under your name, select Edit name.
      If there’s no name listed yet, select Add name.
    • Edit or add the name you want, then choose Save.
      Your Microsoft account name will start to appear or change everywhere you use it.

Please revert if you still cannot change the user account name.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Dec 2, 2021
Thema:

User profile name changed on me

1. User profile name changed on me - Similar Threads - User profile name

2. User profile name changed on me

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User profile name changed on me: I noticed that I no longer have a User folder that matches my name in the c:\users directory. For some reason it is labeled as "Pictures" instead. However, if I navigate to the Users folder in Command Prompt it shows the folder name as "Nick". I am thinking that I may have...
  3. User profile name changed on me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profile name changed on me: I noticed that I no longer have a User folder that matches my name in the c:\users directory. For some reason it is labeled as "Pictures" instead. However, if I navigate to the Users folder in Command Prompt it shows the folder name as "Nick". I am thinking that I may have...
  4. How to change My profile name in C:/Users ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change My profile name in C:/Users ?: Hi I'd like to know how to change my name in c:/Users, since it's missing letters and doesn't match my account's. Notes: My account is not local. Windows 10 version: Home Single...
  5. User name profile change but user account was deleted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User name profile change but user account was deleted: I was trying to change the name of my account by regedit.exe, I did it but I used command promt to run it, but now my user account disappeared and all my data as well, I can't find anything...
  6. changing user profile name account in win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    changing user profile name account in win10: any easy way to change user profile name under C/users/name i can change name which shows once booting to windows but C/users/name stays the same... thank you...
  7. Need help with changing name of user profile folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder: I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign...
  8. Need help with changing name of user profile folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder: I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign...
  9. User Profile Name Change

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profile Name Change: how do i change my user profile name from "quadr" to my name "Patrick"? for some reason, when i clean installed, it set up my user profile like that instead of my name... 9824
  10. Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10: How to: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 How to Change the Name of a User Profile Folder in Windows 10 When signs in to the new account for the first time. A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you...