Windows 10: User profile on previous HDD

Discus and support User profile on previous HDD in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I want to find out if I change out my data HDD that previously had my user profile on it, will the SSD that windows is installed on be able to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Gudzilla, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Gudzilla Win User

User profile on previous HDD

I want to find out if I change out my data HDD that previously had my user profile on it, will the SSD that windows is installed on be able to recognize it.

A few months ago I was off work preparing to have surgery, and I took the opportunity to take my computer apart to install a liquid cooler. My recovery took longer than I had planned, and the PC sat idle for quite a while. A few days ago I put everything back together, but the conventional (spinning) HDD would not start up. The computer would boot up, but when I tried to log in I got the error message "unable to load user profile". I tried again with the side cover off, and carefully reached in to see if the HDD was vibrating or making any other sign of life. I took it out and tested it in a docking station on another machine, but it failed to recognize it, and I didn't see or feel any sounds or motion.

I have another smaller HDD that I had been previously using in the original machine, and had actually only replaced it a couple of months before that. For both of them I followed the tutorial on changing the location where the user folders are and where the user profiles are created, so that the OS and programs are on an SSD, and the user accounts are on a conventional HDD.

If I put the older HDD back in the machine will it recognize the previous user profile, or will I need to change the default location back to the SSD to get it started, and then switch it back again afterwards to the HDD?

:)

Gudzilla, Jun 27, 2017
  2. Elwrci Win User

Deleting Previous User Profile on Windows 10

• Open start menu
    • Search for disk clean up
    • Select the drive that you want to clean up
    • Let it scan
    • Don't select anything of those files and select clean up system files
    • Select the drive once again
    • Select everything to be deleted> this will not remove your existing data
    • If you don't feel confident about this just select previous installation thing and temporary windows thing

Elwrci, Jun 27, 2017
  3. JosefEneh Win User
    Deleting Previous User Profile on Windows 10

Hi I purchased a Dell 360 2in1 and upgraded to Windows 10. I can't delete a previous user's account from the C Drive. Any suggestions on how to will be appreciated.

JosefEneh, Jun 27, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

If you have reinstalled Windows since using that HDD then your permissions will be wrong as the user SID will be different. Similarly if you have added more users they will exist in the registry (on the SSD) but not on the drive with the users folder.

If you've not re-installed Windows or added any new users since you used the old HDD then (assuming it gets the same drive letter) it should work.

5. Gudzilla Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my problem seems to be more severe. I put the HDD with the original user profile back in the machine and when I tried to start it up, the system didn't recognize it. I took it back out, and tested it in the docking station and its not spinning or showing up in disk management. Seems like I have two expensive paperweights now, and I will have to troubleshoot the hardware in the machine I am working on. The power supply is brand new, so I doubt that is it, but something is damaging the HDD when I mount it.

Gudzilla, Jul 1, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    What is your 'docking station'? I like the Thermaltake, both the older USB 2.0 BlacX Duet and the newer USB 3.0 BlacX Duet 5G for diagnosing and transferring data, both are Dual-bay and work with both 2.5" and 3.5" drives singly or 2 at a time.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User profile on previous HDD - Similar Threads - User profile previous

2. Thank you now how to delete the previous user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thank you now how to delete the previous user profile: Can you just elaborate for how to delete the last user profile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thank-you-now-how-to-delete-the-previous-user/c068571d-e031-45e4-9e23-4c529c07a1b3
  3. Thank you now how to delete the previous user profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thank you now how to delete the previous user profile: Can you just elaborate for how to delete the last user profile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thank-you-now-how-to-delete-the-previous-user/c068571d-e031-45e4-9e23-4c529c07a1b3
  4. Thank you now how to delete the previous user profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. user profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    user profile: sometimes when i turn on my laptop windows10 i get user profile service service failed to log in. if i power down and power back up it will start up some times normal and some times in safe mode....
  6. Accessing previous user account after hdd to ssd migration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing previous user account after hdd to ssd migration: Hi, I was unable to update win 10 despite repeated attempts over many months so decided to move everything from the HDD to a new SSD, which seems to help the update "stick". I used the samsung cloning software but the new SSD would not boot and when I went back to the...
  7. User Profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User Profile: How do you fix a corrupted user profile in Windows 10? Windows Fax and Scan would not fax following an update. I got an error message: “The RPC server is unavailable in Windows 10” On the Services window, I found the items DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure...
  8. Relocation of User Profile Folders from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Relocation of User Profile Folders from SSD to HDD: I have just recently purchased an HP Pavilion 590-p0054 DT PC from Best Buy with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD; currently, I’m using the Toshiba 4TB HDD on the PC. Frankly, a few of my personal files would get saved up to the SSD. So, what’s the best way of relocating those...
  9. How to prevent previous user profile loading in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to prevent previous user profile loading in Windows 10: Hi, This is a (weird) variant of 'prevent auto logon in windows 10'. I have 6 user accounts on my laptop (4 kids and 2 parents having admin rights). All users are password protected and I have also checked the box in netplwiz that requires all accounts to enter a password...
  10. HDD Clone User Profile service failed the sign-in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    HDD Clone User Profile service failed the sign-in: I started with a windows 7 system on an SSD and placed my documents etc on a separate HDD drive D:. Since then I've upgraded to Windows 10. My D drive is getting full and I want to replace it with a larger drive. I cloned the D drive with Macrium Reflect to the new larger...