Windows 10: User profile partially "corrupted", how to migrate to a new one?

Discus and support User profile partially "corrupted", how to migrate to a new one? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; It seems that sometimes Windows 10 user profiles get corrupted. Small problems here and there. Nothing fixes the problems and you have to create a new... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jimhoyle, Oct 5, 2018.

1. jimhoyle Win User

User profile partially "corrupted", how to migrate to a new one?

It seems that sometimes Windows 10 user profiles get corrupted. Small problems here and there. Nothing fixes the problems and you have to create a new profile. What is the best way to "copy" or "clone" stuff from the old profile to the new one?

I already have most programs installed for "All users", I think. So it's more about all the tons of customizations I have done. Like Windows Settings, taskbar customization, startup items etc. How do I transfer all that to a new user profile?

(I tried already ForensiT User Profile Wizard but that went horribly wrong. For some reason it completely destroyed my profile and didn't copy anything useful to a new one. Luckily a System Restore was able to restore things for me.)

Bonus question: once the new profile is working perfectly (with all old settings and everything), is there a way to delete the broken profile and then rename the new profile's user folder to the old C:\Users\Username folder?

:)

jimhoyle, Oct 5, 2018
  2. Jonas Flo Win User

Corrupted User Profile

Hi,

There maybe a couple of reasons behind this misbehavior such as a corrupted system file. However, we would like to be able to verify which process exactly is corrupted.

• When you install, does it give you any form of error message when it fails?
    • What other processes doesn't go through on the said User account?

As per troubleshooting, you may refer to
    Likhitha V
    's response on this thread. See if it applies to you. However,
    just to give you a heads up. The steps are about creating a new user profile and deleting the current one. I suggest you back up your files so you may be able to transfer it. You can also find information about it on the same thread.

We'll be waiting for your response. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Oct 5, 2018
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    migrate user profile

Hi Adeel,

For us to better understand the problem and provide you the best resolution, please clarify the following:

• What do you mean when you mentioned domain user profile?
    • Are you trying to copy a local user profile to a domain account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Oct 5, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

I removed my reply because watching those instructions on TechNet I started wondering if they really work with Windows 10.

Anyway, whatever you try create first a dummy profile, customize it a bit and move it to domain. If everything works, you can then move real profiles.

Kari, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

1. User profile partially "corrupted", how to migrate to a new one? - Similar Threads - User profile partially

2. User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs: As one department ~170 persons are in a transition to move to another department on new Windows 11 PCs I would like to move, not only relevant documents but preferably, the entire user profiles with them.Most of their functions will remain the same. And so most relevant...
  3. User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs: As one department ~170 persons are in a transition to move to another department on new Windows 11 PCs I would like to move, not only relevant documents but preferably, the entire user profiles with them.Most of their functions will remain the same. And so most relevant...
  4. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  5. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  6. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Corrupted user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  8. Migrating a Win10 User profile to a new acxount

Migrating a Win10 User profile to a new acxount: So here is my question. A user has changed her surname and due to other issues i have had to creat her a new AD account. I want to copy the whole contents of her user profile C:\Windows\users\••••• and then move it ti the new account, what is the easiest process to complete...
  9. User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE

User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE: Summary: Originally The below post was posted by Johan Ole Svensson as the result of an internal Survey on his part. Sadly he made the mistake to just point to the excellent answer over at "Experts Exchange" but "Experts Exchange" have shut down access for users without a...
  10. How to fix corrupt user profile by copying the new profile to it?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to fix corrupt user profile by copying the new profile to it?: Just did a clean install of Windows 10 (Pro), installed all the updates, but my Start Menu is broken - when you start typing in the search box, it shows no results, if I type "Settings", nothing comes up, if I type "Word", nothing gets there. Curiously, if I type the full...