Windows 10: User profile permissions/junctions broken?

Discus and support User profile permissions/junctions broken? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have a very strange behavior here with my Windows profile. Now that I have tried numerous paths to resolve the problem (where I maybe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gqgunhed, May 4, 2021.

1. gqgunhed Win User

User profile permissions/junctions broken?

Hey guys, I have a very strange behavior here with my Windows profile. Now that I have tried numerous paths to resolve the problem (where I maybe messed up things even further) and finally I post my situation here in search for an creative solutions. The symptoms are: - Windows native applications like File Explorer etc. work normally - third-party applications like IrfanView, Elite Dangerous, Assetto Corsa Competizione can no longer write to the junction folders like Pictures, Videos, Documents and throw errors "File not found" when trying to write to these directories. Reading works fine as all applications start and run as expected, but no changes are accepted, or screenshots saved, etc. 19.02.2021 01:14 <JUNCTION> Anwendungsdaten [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming] 28.04.2021 22:56 <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming] 19.02.2021 01:14 <JUNCTION> Cookies [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies] 19.02.2021 01:14 <JUNCTION> Druckumgebung [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts] 28.04.2021 20:57 <JUNCTION> Eigene Dateien [c:\Users\myusername\Documents] 28.04.2021 22:56 <JUNCTION> Local Settings [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local] 19.02.2021 01:14 <JUNCTION> Lokale Einstellungen [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local] 28.04.2021 22:56 <JUNCTION> My Documents [C:\Users\myusername\Documents] 28.04.2021 22:56 <JUNCTION> NetHood [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts] As far as I can tell those are all junctions pointing to the correct locations so I suppose a permissions problem. I ran icacls c:\users /t /c /q /reset which obiously broke the permissions as this lead to a temporary user profile. I fixed(?) this by right-clicking on c:\users\myusername, set owner to my personal username - applying ownership to my profile folder and recursively to folders/files. After that But really, I don't know which permissions should be set for c:\users and c:\users\myusername etc. - as the "icacls default" does not seem to be the way to go. winver: Version 20H2 (Build 19042.928) Hope this gives a usable picture of the mess I did. Thanks in advance.

:)

gqgunhed, May 4, 2021
  2. Callender Win User
    Callender, May 5, 2021
  3. KeithM Win User

"File not found" errors for user folders that you know exist could be the result of:

Controlled Folder Access.

If you click Start & being typing "Controlled", it should appear as an option.

User profile permissions/junctions broken? [​IMG]

User profile permissions/junctions broken? [​IMG]

Turn it off to see if that remedies your issue.If it does, add your 3rd-party apps to the allowed list.

KeithM, May 5, 2021
  4. gqgunhed Win User

Hey guys,
    I have a very strange behavior here with my Windows profile. Now that I have tried numerous paths to resolve the problem (where I maybe messed up things even further) and finally I post my situation here in search for an creative solutions.

The symptoms are:
    - Windows native applications like File Explorer etc. work normally
    - third-party applications like IrfanView, Elite Dangerous, Assetto Corsa Competizione can no longer write to the junction folders like Pictures, Videos, Documents and throw errors "File not found" when trying to write to these directories. Reading works fine as all applications start and run as expected, but no changes are accepted, or screenshots saved, etc.

19.02.2021 01:14 <JUNCTION> Anwendungsdaten [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming]
    28.04.2021 22:56 <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming]
    19.02.2021 01:14 <JUNCTION> Cookies [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies]
    19.02.2021 01:14 <JUNCTION> Druckumgebung [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts]
    28.04.2021 20:57 <JUNCTION> Eigene Dateien [c:\Users\myusername\Documents]
    28.04.2021 22:56 <JUNCTION> Local Settings [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local]
    19.02.2021 01:14 <JUNCTION> Lokale Einstellungen [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local]
    28.04.2021 22:56 <JUNCTION> My Documents [C:\Users\myusername\Documents]
    28.04.2021 22:56 <JUNCTION> NetHood [C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts]

As far as I can tell those are all junctions pointing to the correct locations so I suppose a permissions problem.

I ran icacls c:\users /t /c /q /reset which obiously broke the permissions as this lead to a temporary user profile. I fixed(?) this by right-clicking on c:\users\myusername, set owner to my personal username - applying ownership to my profile folder and recursively to folders/files.
    After that

But really, I don't know which permissions should be set for c:\users and c:\users\myusername etc. - as the "icacls default" does not seem to be the way to go.

winver: Version 20H2 (Build 19042.928)

Hope this gives a usable picture of the mess I did.
    Thanks in advance.

gqgunhed, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. User profile permissions/junctions broken? - Similar Threads - User profile permissions

2. Broken Profiles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken Profiles: Hello! So, I've been running into an issue where on Azure AD joined machines, when a user attempts to log into their Azure AD account, it will tell them their password is wrong. If this was just one user, I would brush it off, but it is multiple, they are all reporting they...
  3. Broken Profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken Profiles: Hello! So, I've been running into an issue where on Azure AD joined machines, when a user attempts to log into their Azure AD account, it will tell them their password is wrong. If this was just one user, I would brush it off, but it is multiple, they are all reporting they...
  4. Broken Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Broken Permissions: I have a file that just ignores permissions. Even when "Everyone" owns it and "Everyone" has the Full control, the file just ignores permissions. How do I force delete a file without permissions?It just worked the 8th time. I still would like to know how to bypass this...
  5. Broken Permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Broken Permissions: I have a file that just ignores permissions. Even when "Everyone" owns it and "Everyone" has the Full control, the file just ignores permissions. How do I force delete a file without permissions?It just worked the 8th time. I still would like to know how to bypass this...
  6. Broken Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Restore profile permissions to user profile folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restore profile permissions to user profile folder: I'm not sure why but sometimes when i port a profile over(make new profile, move all files/folder to temp folder, move old profile folder/files in then move the new profile over it) edge and the start menu break. Take ownership seems to miss alot of things and using the...
  8. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  9. Profile permissions

Profile permissions: Hi I have a problem with one user profile on my Windows10 PC. Log into the other profile and everything works fine. I'm wondering if I could have inadvertently changed permissions, set to read only, or locked my main profile directory when I was trying to show hidden files?...
  10. Permission issues after copying User data to new profile.

Permission issues after copying User data to new profile.: Hello, I have an issue with my main user profile - I renamed it, and since then there have been small issues, like the search not finding installed apps, certain Windows apps showing only a blank screen (including Contact Support, which is good for a chuckle), and an...