Windows 10: User settings are lost after restart or system update

Discus and support User settings are lost after restart or system update in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; We have two account subscribers on a Laptop Dell Inspiron 7591 2 in 1. My wife has a family member subscription with myself the administrator. The... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Erich_857, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Erich_857 Win User

User settings are lost after restart or system update

We have two account subscribers on a Laptop Dell Inspiron 7591 2 in 1. My wife has a family member subscription with myself the administrator. The system recently went through an automatic update. My wife's account settings, functional apps and email account were gone. Using the recovery option windows 10 loaded windows without any of the settings and the previously loaded options that were still listed in the start menu but could not be loaded and executed and yet could not be deleted.

When I reentered the settings, created a new Microsoft account, new email account the Office 365 apps and email account worked until there was a new update or a restart of the pc at which time all was lost again. In all this my user account has been unaffected. I have repeated this exercise several times without successfully establishing a stable account.

What is going on? Why can't I set up s standard account for my wife that maintains settings?

Erich

:)

Erich_857, Feb 12, 2021

2. Lost User Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

If you have the Windows 10 installation DVD, I would suggest you to enable the default administrator and then try creating a new user account with administrative privileges.

Boot the computer into Safe mode then, open Command Prompt and enable Built in Administrator.

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Open Command Prompt from Windows Recovery Environment.
    • Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.
    net user administrator /active:yes

3. Close the Command Prompt.

4. Try to login though Built in Administrator and create a new user account with Administrator rights.

To start the computer in safe mode. Type Settings in the search tab> under Recovery> Advanced Options>Restart Now>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Settings>Restart>select 4

After that you may follow the steps to transfer the data as suggested in the previous post. Please do not forget to disable the default account once you are done troubleshooting. Just follow the same stepsnet user
    administrator /active:no

Please let us know if it helps or if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri, Feb 12, 2021
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond User settings are lost after restart or system update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Feb 12, 2021
  4. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. User settings are lost after restart or system update - Similar Threads - User settings are

2. lost user account after windows10 update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    lost user account after windows10 update: I updated my computer to a new windows. currently im using a temporary account !! how do i get back to my admin account using this temporary account !!! its frustrating to find this out!!! just searched for help and got to know to open it through WINDOWS POWERSHELL admin...
  3. User lost Files after a sudden windows 10 restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User lost Files after a sudden windows 10 restart: hello, The user told me he was working on something and then his laptop suddenly restarted and then it took a while to turn it back on because he got a blank screen. After several tries he was able to turn it on and windows ask to backup and he did, and never to a...
  4. Computer lost all settings after restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer lost all settings after restart: I lost all my computer settings after restart on 16 April 2020. All updates seem to be current. The screen background was lost. I had to reset regional settings to what I had All files on desktop are lost mail settings in outlook, All historic data lost of Word docs...
  5. User Settings Lost

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Settings Lost: I had MS Windows ask me to make updates. When I clicked update, it asked for password, which it did not recognize. It then told me I was signed in at a Temporary User. I rebooted and upon signing in, it did not bring up my account settings, but it recognized my account. I...
  6. Many settings lost after Shut Down or Restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Many settings lost after Shut Down or Restart: Windows 10 settings (language, keyboard layout, etc.) are reset to US default, Thunderbird address book emptied and email accounts' details lost, and Edge browser favourites are cleared, after Restart, or after Shut Down then later power on. Each time these are lost I go into...
  7. lost user after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost user after update: I updated windows which had not been done recently and my desktops disappeared. The data is in the User directory but the desktop has disappeared for the user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-user-after-update/88ba9c3f-bf77-4dd9-9c14-374ce51965e1
  8. Settings lost after update/reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings lost after update/reboot: Several times my settings for various programs have disappeared after rebooting. This has mostly happened after a windows update. It's as though I were setting up a new computer time and again. With Microsoft forcing updates all the time, it is driving me crazy. How can I...
  9. Lost settings after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost settings after update: Please please please STOP changing my settings when you update Windows. It is incredibly frustrating, wastes my time and energy and is having an impact on my business as a sole trader. I can see from questions from other users that many people are having the same problem....
  10. Lost User Account after Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost User Account after Update: I just updated my system to the 1903 build, and now I lost my Standard User account. It will no longer allow me to log in, and the User folder is empty, so I no longer have access to anything I had saved on that account; which includes personally identifiable information....