Windows 10: User Settings Lost

Discus and support User Settings Lost in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I had MS Windows ask me to make updates. When I clicked update, it asked for password, which it did not recognize. It then told me I was signed in at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RKeyes, Apr 4, 2020.

1. RKeyes Win User

User Settings Lost

I had MS Windows ask me to make updates. When I clicked update, it asked for password, which it did not recognize. It then told me I was signed in at a Temporary User. I rebooted and upon signing in, it did not bring up my account settings, but it recognized my account. I see all of the User Data on the CUser Settings Lost :Drive but cannot get MS Windows to load it. Every time I reboot, it starts as though I have never logged in before. How to I make Windows recognize me and restore my settings?

:)

RKeyes, Apr 4, 2020

2. Lost User Account

After upgrading from Window 7 to 10, I lost my wife's User Account got messed up, using my email address and login password, with no ability to change them. I received the reply below, but still have problems:

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-

4. Paste all those copied files here.

I tried to create a new user account as in Step 1, but when I put in the command as written above, I kept getting messages about correct syntax for the command. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. I
    then tried to set up a new account using the Settings/Accounts/"Add someone else to this PC" menu. I set up the account, but no folder was created under C:\Users\. I tried adding a folder using the new accounts user name and transferred the files from the
    other account. When I tried to log in, I received the same error message. I am at a loss as to how to get back the user account with the correct username, email address, and password. HELP!!!

LouisHafken, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Lost User Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

If you have the Windows 10 installation DVD, I would suggest you to enable the default administrator and then try creating a new user account with administrative privileges.

Boot the computer into Safe mode then, open Command Prompt and enable Built in Administrator.

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Open Command Prompt from Windows Recovery Environment.
    • Copy and paste the below command and press Enter.
    net user administrator /active:yes

3. Close the Command Prompt.

4. Try to login though Built in Administrator and create a new user account with Administrator rights.

To start the computer in safe mode. Type Settings in the search tab> under Recovery> Advanced Options>Restart Now>Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Settings>Restart>select 4

After that you may follow the steps to transfer the data as suggested in the previous post. Please do not forget to disable the default account once you are done troubleshooting. Just follow the same stepsnet user
    administrator /active:no

Please let us know if it helps or if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

User Settings Lost

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

User Settings Lost

1. User Settings Lost - Similar Threads - User Settings Lost

2. Default user apps setting being lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default user apps setting being lost: My system keeps resetting user default app choices to Microsoft Default apps on bootup.I have tried the available registry entry solutions to no avail. What is the method for troubleshooting and resolving this problem. The available built-in Windows troubleshootersare of no...
  3. Default user apps setting being lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default user apps setting being lost: My system keeps resetting user default app choices to Microsoft Default apps on bootup.I have tried the available registry entry solutions to no avail. What is the method for troubleshooting and resolving this problem. The available built-in Windows troubleshootersare of no...
  4. Default user apps setting being lost

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. User settings are lost after restart or system update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User settings are lost after restart or system update: We have two account subscribers on a Laptop Dell Inspiron 7591 2 in 1. My wife has a family member subscription with myself the administrator. The system recently went through an automatic update. My wife's account settings, functional apps and email account were gone....
  6. Lost User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lost User Account: Have a computer with Windows 10 Pro, I used to have 2 user accounts on it. The other account is not showing showing up? I ran the AccountProfileFixer and it fixed the problem until the computer reboots. When I start the computer next day its gone again, not sure what caused...
  7. Lost settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost settings: I just started the computer that I haven't used for 6 months and I used EDGE 44 on this. When I started everything was ok except I lost the settings on the task bar and it was replaced with the control panel. I cant find updates so where do I go ? Thanks 155612
  8. Lost settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lost settings: I just started the computer that I haven't used for 6 months and I used EDGE 44 on this. When I started everything was ok except I lost the settings on the task bar and it was replaced with the control panel. I cant find updates so where do I go ? Thanks 155612
  9. Lost Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Settings: I had to do a hard shutdown when my computer froze, and now when I log in I seem to have lost all my settings. Every time I shut down and log back in it resets to factory settings....
  10. Lost Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Settings: Yesterday they worked, now they don't... Trying to launch Settings I got no response. Trying to launch Display Settings or Personalisation from desktops PPM menu I got attached errors. SFC San didn't help. Same for DISM. Since yesterday there were NO changes. Software or...