Windows 10: User setup using PCMover to transfer data to new PC

Discus and support User setup using PCMover to transfer data to new PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have noticed the following after I have transferred data/programs using PCMover: On my old machine I had 1 user (B) containing ALL, SYSTEM,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by schaefer, Oct 9, 2018.

1. schaefer Win User

User setup using PCMover to transfer data to new PC

I have noticed the following after I have transferred data/programs using PCMover:

On my old machine I had 1 user (B) containing ALL, SYSTEM, Administrators (X), Users (X\Users).(Plus standard Default and Public.

(Disks C, D/E, F/G on 1 SSD/HDD combi and 2 HDD's)

After I have moved

Disks are now: C/D, F/G and G/H on 1 Evo 970 SSD, 1 Evo960 SSD and 1 3TB HDD). I can see that I now have the following users:

(B), Default, Public and (X) (corresponding to machine name) containing SYSTEM, (B), Administrators (X\Administrators).

I can see that a number of folders are assigned to user (B) with change date as per date of transfer to the new machine.

My thinking is that I should be able to copy content of folders under (B) to (X) and then delete the old user (B).

After that I should be able to rename the New PC's user name (X) = machine name to a new User name (like f. inst. (B).

I would appreciate any comments to the above as I am trying to make the new PC as clean as possible and have so far been happy with PCMover.

(I have also been fortunate in not having any WIN 10 1809 upgrade issues and have not lost any files.
    My cloud backup is chugging away and I have put further updates on hold for now.....)

Thanks in advance for your input.*Smile

:)

schaefer, Oct 9, 2018

2. Is there another way to transfer data to a new computer without using PCMover Express.

Is there another way to transfer data to a new computer without using PCMover Express. Because I want to transfer data from my old windows 10 PC to my new one that is coming in. Is there another way to do so? Or would I have to go into for say Best Buy
    and have them do it for me?

SergioIboy, Oct 9, 2018
  3. Is there another way to transfer data to a new computer without using PCMover Express.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in windows 10.

What kind of data are you looking to transfer to your new PC? Is it only file or installed programs?

If you are looking to transfer both file and installed programs you may have to use PCMover Pro. You can also use File History to make a backup and restore(for Windows 8/8.1 users).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-use-file-history

An alternative method to this is, manually transferring the data between the computers.(copy/paste)

You may also refer the discussions and suggestions by Andre Da Costa and see if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/6f697612-e258-4932-8357-6856775beab6

Hope this helps. If you have any queries, do let us know.

Thank you.

Praveen Venugopal, Oct 9, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

PCMover Express Free

Just ran across this over at MS website...

Move your files, folders, and more, for free*

*Free download available from September 1, 2015 through August 31, 2016. Will run only if source PC is Windows XP or later and destination PC is Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. The free data transfer will not migrate your apps. This free offer is for personal non-commercial use and does not support domain-joined PCs.

Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to provide you with data transfer tools that transfer selected files, folders, and more from an old Windows PC to a new Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 PC.

To get started, download PCmover Express —free for a limited time.

Download link

95Viper, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

1. User setup using PCMover to transfer data to new PC - Similar Threads - User setup using

2. Transfer Data to New Computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Data to New Computer: Hi,I am getting a replacement computer from HP and they have said that they will be shipping an upgrade because they do not make the old one anymore. I need to know if it is possible to transfer the data from an image backup of my current computer without receiving any errors...
  3. New computer programs/data transfer

New computer programs/data transfer: My grandson has been using a laptop for about 4-5 years now. Over the years hes done a lot with it invluding using MS Office plus dozens of other programs like Steam and others along with all their data and useage. If we get him a new laptop is there some way to get his new...
  4. New PC - User Account Setup Guidace

New PC - User Account Setup Guidace: I will be configuring a new Windows 10 Home PC soon. To be specific, using the Out of Box Experience after opening a store-bought laptop. The last time I did this, in 2016, I caused myself some confusion between the name of the Windows user and the Microsoft Account. What I...
  5. Data transfer to new laptop

Data transfer to new laptop: Hello, What is the best way to transfer data from an old HP Win 10 laptop to new HP Win 10 laptop? Old laptop: 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive ~450GB used, Win 10 Home 64 New laptop: 16GB RAM, 1TB hard drive + 256GB M.2 SSD, Win 10 Home 64 Plus I assume the OS will be loaded on...
  6. transferring data between user accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring data between user accounts: Ok so basically what has happened is my brother has been on my pc and signed into my friends microsoft account and "linked" it or something and now his microsoft account holds all my data and cookies and pretty much everything i have ever done on my pc. i uased a local...
  7. Data transfer to new computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Data transfer to new computer: Okay, I am completely frustrated. My old desktop Windows 7 crashed. I had used an external hard drive(WD My Passport) to back up my files once a month. I had also used flash drives. I purchased and received my new desktop which is Windows 10. I am unable to get the flash...
  8. Old PC to New PC data transfer

Old PC to New PC data transfer: Purchased new desktop and need help with identifying best way to transfer my data from the old PC to the new PC, I have about 600 GB to move. Many thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-pc-to-new-pc-data-transfer/775ca607-298c-4f3b-adb1-cad8d7e4c5a6"
  9. transfer programs and data to new computer

transfer programs and data to new computer: Getting a new computer tomorrow. Is there a transfer program which will install my existing programs onto the new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-programs-and-data-to-new-computer/18360797-43f7-4823-997c-1cc75b1c381f"
  10. New PC setup first user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New PC setup first user account: I just bought a new PC with Win10 Home Premium and went through the initial setup process using my primary Microsoft email address. I am now set up as an administrator but for safety and security reasons, would prefer to use a standard account. How can I dissociate my name...