Windows 10: User shell issues

Discus and support User shell issues in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I had one of my games from my pc partially crash and had no choice but to hard power off my pc when I rebooted it I got a black screen with a cursor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MathewShively, Jul 2, 2020.

1. User shell issues

So I had one of my games from my pc partially crash and had no choice but to hard power off my pc when I rebooted it I got a black screen with a cursor no safe mode options work atm so my question is will a factory reset or new os installation of windows 10 fix a damaged user shell that my question btw I've tried the win key x and win key p thing pc was unresponsive to key strokes

:)

MathewShively, Jul 2, 2020
  2. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Aug 5, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Shell infrastructure host has stopped working Guest User

Hi,

I suggest you to run the PowerShell commands from the following steps in the guest user profile and check if the issue persists.

Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language designed especially for system administration. Built on the
    .NET Framework, Windows PowerShell helps IT professionals and power users control and automate the administration of the Windows operating system and applications that run on Windows.

Step 1: Open an Administrator command window by

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      task manager

• Click on More details located at the bottom of the task manager window.

• Click File and select Run New Task. Make sure you have a check mark beside
      Create this task with administrative privileges.

• Type CMD

Step 2: Type the following commands in the CMD Prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Step 3: After running the above commands and it shows no remaining issues, run the below commands:

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Step 4: Check to make sure the above command ran, shows a blue progress indicator and then returns to the prompt.

• If you see a red error, then the command may have been typed or pasted incorrectly, or there may be a larger problem with Windows 10. Try again.

Step 5: Check the issue is resolved.

• If not, restart the PC. In this case try as a new
      Administrator user account.

Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Arun B J, Aug 5, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

User shell issues

Windows 10 wake from sleep crashes Logon User Interface Host or Windows Shell Experience Host

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

User shell issues

1. User shell issues - Similar Threads - User shell issues

2. power shell command issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    power shell command issue: to complete my assigned work i need to do this but how many times iam trying to execute that dism.exe command it is showing the same error even after changing the environment variables. I changed my bios settings to visualization as enabled....
  3. power shell command issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    power shell command issue: to complete my assigned work i need to do this but how many times iam trying to execute that dism.exe command it is showing the same error even after changing the environment variables. I changed my bios settings to visualization as enabled....
  4. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  5. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  6. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Delete registry key in user shell folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete registry key in user shell folders: After renaming my User account, my user shell folders all messed up due to OneDrive and I have these two additional folders that are not the default user folders.How can I delete them safely? is it as simple as pressing delete?...
  8. User Shell Folders messed up in registry

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User Shell Folders messed up in registry: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/hivdb8cde0l51.png?width=1240&format=png&auto=webp&s=c503dc2939d44c6ebaabdd34b852f5de2022673e Originally I moved my user folders to my D: drive, to clear some space on my C: drive. Yesterday I had to reinstall Windos to fiz a problem. I...
  9. Open Shell issues on Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Shell issues on Win10: If this isn't the right place to post, please advise. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Using Chrome on Windows 10Running Open-Shell (Classic-Shell becomes Open-Shell) Attempting Classic Shell Forum Registration but can't...
  10. Issues after using Classic shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues after using Classic shell: I am new to windows 10 and wanted to bring back the old windows 7 start menu. I tried "classic shell" and all was great.... but then I noticed a few graphic issues. If you look at the attachments you will see that selected items have some grayed out area around the text. The...