Windows 10: User switching

Discus and support User switching in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm running W10 PRO on a desktop and I have the following problem: There are 2 users Both have admin rights and password User1 is logged in... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by basvandepavert, Jul 4, 2020.

1. User switching

I'm running W10 PRO on a desktop and I have the following problem:
    • There are 2 users
    • Both have admin rights and password
    • User1 is logged in
    • Taskmanager, tab users shows User1
    • Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and switch to User2
    • Taskmanager, tab users shows User1(disconnected) and User2
    • Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and switch to User1
    • Taskmanager, tab users shows User1, User1(disconnected) and User2(disconnected)

The previous session of User1 is still there, but under the User1(disconnected) session

My Question is: Why is the previous session not restored and why is a new session started?
    I think this was not the case some time (and updates) ago.

Can anybody please help? Thanks

:)

basvandepavert, Jul 4, 2020

2. Cant switch users in Windows 10

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Please share a few details:

• What exactly happens when you try to switch users?

• Do you receive any error message/code?

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to Switch users.

• Press Ctrl + Alt + Del key altogether.

• Click on Switch User.

• Select the user with which you want to login.

If computer starts up with a user other than the one you want, login to that user account and switch user to the account that you need and check.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jul 4, 2020
  3. Switch user at startup

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you cannot see the switch user option after the upgrade I will make sure to help you with this issue.

First I suggest you to reboot the system and check if see the switch user option.

If you still don’t see the option then I would suggest you to perform the below step and check if you can see switch user option.

On the login screen press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and check if you can see the switch user option.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance related to Windows, we will be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Mohammed Yaseer, Jul 4, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

User switching

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

User switching

1. User switching - Similar Threads - User switching

2. How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct: I am the sole owner of my laptop and I switched my user account to a standard user account using the instructions in the link below. The account is set up to log in with a fingerprint Lenovo ThinkBook. The problem is, now I cannot gain admin privileges since the only option...
  3. How to switch user if the other user didn't log off?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to switch user if the other user didn't log off?: Please help me how to switch user on HP Windows 10 desktop if the other user forgot to log off/exit out from log-in desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-switch-user-if-the-other-user-didnt-log-off/c70cc2c3-c6cf-4b2d-a301-8081d34b9fc8
  4. No option to switch users from lock screen? Windows 10

No option to switch users from lock screen? Windows 10: Hi so unfortunately my laptop, windows 10, is locked and I don't know the current user's password. How can I get the switch users option to come up on the bottom left? Are there any keys I could press, before turning it on, or some way through the command line. Unfortunately...
  5. Disable one app when switching users

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable one app when switching users: Hi all. I'm looking for a way to force exit one app when I switch user on my pc. Is this possible? I've looked on Microsoft forums and they all just suggest disabling fast user switching.However, I don't want to exit everything when switching users. Just this one programme...
  6. Weird Issue with User switching during/after RDP

Weird Issue with User switching during/after RDP: So, this is a weird one. I login to my computer/our domain with a normal user account. I have access to RDP into servers using a privileged account. I log into my computer as normalUser and I am able to access all my network shares as expected. As soon as I RDP to a server us...
  7. User switching

in Windows 10 Support
    User switching: I'm running W10 PRO on a desktop and I have the following problem: There are 2 users Both have admin rights and password User1 is logged in Taskmanager, tab users shows User1 Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and switch to User2 Taskmanager, tab users shows User1(disconnected) and...
  8. Not able to Switch User Windows 10

Not able to Switch User Windows 10: I have 4 user accounts. Only one administrator profile. However, I am not able to see three of the profiles in the windows login page. They are not listed under the start menu. When I attempt use administrative privileges it shows that the accounts are somewhere on the...
  9. Remove the switch user button on win 10 home

Remove the switch user button on win 10 home: So you have a shared laptop. You and a few other people are admins on it. You're doing stuff and you need to use the toilet. You put the screen down and go to use the toilet. You come back, open up your laptop and you notice that instead of listing the users in the bottom...
  10. Blackscreens (no cursor) during user switching; happens randomly/not reproducible

Blackscreens (no cursor) during user switching; happens randomly/not reproducible: This only happens during user switching, but at that only infrequently so. When it happens, nothing like ctrl +alt+del works, the caps lock key doesn’t change state when pressed so I guess the OS is totally locked up. Only solve is to hold down power/switch off psu. No crash...