Windows 10: Username and Password required when mapping share drivers from another subnet mask

Discus and support Username and Password required when mapping share drivers from another subnet mask in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some explicable reason, windows has decided to no longer accept access to it's shared folder from other subnets, and no one appears to know why. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by -idiocracy, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Username and Password required when mapping share drivers from another subnet mask

For some explicable reason, windows has decided to no longer accept access to it's shared folder from other subnets, and no one appears to know why. I have asked high and low and no one has the foggiest idea what's going on.

Similar issue here, unresolved: social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/how-can-i-fix-file-shares-across-subnets-in-windows-10-creator-update

And here, also unresolved: social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/map-network-drive-across-subnet

1. Short version: If i map "\\x.x.x.x\files" from the same subnet, explorer will map it, no questions asked and everything works. If i do the same from another subnet i am asked to provide user/pass, which i can't because there isn't any. This only happens when mapping from another subnet and never happens when mapping from same subnet.

2. Setup. Windows 10 pro 1909.

1909 or possible earlier version broke network sharing and required clients to edit gpedit and activate "allow insecure guest logon". Mentioned here:https://tech.nicolonsky.ch/windows-10-1709-cannot-access-smb2-share-guest-access/

Folder is shared, permissions are "everyone" and have been given "full control".

settings/network/network and sharing center/edit advanced sharing settings

Private profile: All machines are using this profile.

Network registration = on

activate automatic config for devices with network access = on

File and printer sharing = on

All networks

Use 128-bit encryption = on

password protected file sharing = off

Firewall, this i am unsure what effects have as it was a suggestion made from another thread i found.

The default settings for these, properties/scope/external IP are all set to "local subnet" by default.

smb-in

nb-datagram-in

nb-name-in

nb-session-in

For all of them i have added 10.x.x.x/24 to the list, this has made no difference. Local IP is set to "all ip's". I am unsure about what defines local and external. To me local is lan ip's and external are wan or possibly external subnet ip's. This is apparently not the case as "local subnet" is default under external ip.

Logbook/logfile for programs and services/microsoft/windows/smbserver/security creates two entries when trying to connect from other subnet

Event ID 551

Permission error in smb-session

Username: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON

Event ID 1009

server denied anonymous access to client

I can ping the host machine, which is clear evidences that both host and client machines are seeing and responding to each other, but for some reason the client machine is being asked for user/pass when mapping share, this even tho every setting on the host machine that should allow the connection without asking for user/pass is set that way.

Also, the secondary subnet is also the subnet vpn users connect to, which happens over udp. Since smb-in is tcp, i also tried reconfiguring the vpn for tcp connections, and bridging the two so vpn users would get an ip from the same 192 subnet the network share is located on, none of that worked. Still being asked for user/pass.

Any ideas?

***Modified title from: W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet.***

:)

-idiocracy, Jan 7, 2020
  2. louis14 Win User

sharing netbios without password across subnets

I have shared files between 2 laptops on my homenetwork (1 subnet) without password.
    I have read netbios can also share across subnets if you place a hostfile with the mapping hostname-ipnr on the client.
    My question is, if bios can share across subnets, isn't it dangerous to share without password because someone can share your files from the internet?

louis14, Jan 7, 2020
  3. How do I find what the Subnet Mask and DNS are?

How to find a subnet mask number

LeonVasilevski, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Username and Password required when mapping share drivers from another subnet mask

How do I find what the Subnet Mask and DNS are?

How do I find what the Subnet Mask and DNS are?

Mary Ann Belize, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Username and Password required when mapping share drivers from another subnet mask

1. Username and Password required when mapping share drivers from another subnet mask - Similar Threads - Username Password required

2. Fetch IPv6 subnet mask/prefix in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fetch IPv6 subnet mask/prefix in Windows 10: Hi everyone!With IPv4 I have succeeded in setting the configuration manually. However I have a problem in doing the same for IPv6: No matter if I look inside ipconfig or the Wifi settings, Windows won't show me the used subnet mask/prefix.However, if I want to set it...
  3. Require Username & Password For Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Require Username & Password For Login: I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 Home edition. I'm a little bit of a power user and prefer to have separate accounts for different uses- one for gaming and entertainment, and one for more important things like banking, work, etc. For security reasons, on my previous...
  4. Require Username & Password For Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require Username & Password For Login: I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 Home edition. I'm a little bit of a power user and prefer to have separate accounts for different uses- one for gaming and entertainment, and one for more important things like banking, work, etc. For security reasons, on my previous...
  5. Require Username & Password For Login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. subnet mask & ip address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    subnet mask & ip address: how do I find the subnet mask and ip address on my Asus Router https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/subnet-mask-ip-address/678967c4-3fdb-414f-8ac7-524901c78ac3
  7. Ethernet adapter subnet mask

Ethernet adapter subnet mask: This morning I updated my wife's laptop to the latest build of Windows 10. I borrowed the ethernet cable I use for my laptop so I could use a faster connection. For some reason, the Ethernet connection could not "find" the internet. Delving a little deeper I noticed the...
  8. W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet.

W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet.: For some explicable reason, windows has decided to no longer accept access to it's shared folder from other subnets, and no one appears to know why. I have asked high and low and no one has the foggiest idea what's going on. 1. Short version: If i map "\\x.x.x.x\files" from...
  9. sharing netbios without password across subnets

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sharing netbios without password across subnets: I have shared files between 2 laptops on my homenetwork (1 subnet) without password. I have read netbios can also share across subnets if you place a hostfile with the mapping hostname-ipnr on the client. My question is, if bios can share across subnets, isn't it dangerous...
  10. Strange IPv4 subnet mask for network connection

Strange IPv4 subnet mask for network connection: My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 (FIOS). I am running some Windows 2012R2 servers under Hyper-V. When I set up the servers, I *believe* the Hyper-V Manager also added a network configuration for the VMs. The VM IP addresses are 172.18.x.x and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0....