Windows 10: Username change caused serious problems

Discus and support Username change caused serious problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Folks, I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems after a Username change. My daughter got a new Lenovo Ideapad 520 for her... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Van Allen Belt, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Username change caused serious problems

Hello Folks,
    I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems after a Username change.

My daughter got a new Lenovo Ideapad 520 for her computation studies at university about a week ago, and this i7 Octacore with 16Gb RAM and Windows 10 is certainly fast, and has great graphic quality.

Everything was going perfectly until she decided to change her Username last night, the process of which she obediently followed correctly after looking it up on the Microsoft page.

Just after that, on the next startup, things started going seriously wrong. The computer slowed down and icons stopped working on the menu bar. She was lucky enough to be able to make a backup of her work onto an external HDD in time, just before everything stopped working.

The only thing that worked after a start-up was the short cut (shift+left mouse-click on the re-start option of the shut-down box), to be able access the recovery menu.

First, we tried the restoring point she created after she got her computer working last week. Things seemed to work for a while before things started slowing down again, and even shutting down took ages.

The next thing we tried, was load up the hard-disk-image she had made a week ago, and when that was done everything was back in working order at the usual speed - just for a while.
    After half an hour things started going wrong again, along the same lines.

So... the third thing we are trying, is a total factory reset, which is of course taking ages.
    We started it at 1 o´clock in the morning, and now it is 8.45 in the morning, and it is still at 12%.

The impression I get, is that the Username change last night coincided with a Win10 forced update (all updates seem to be forced with Win10...), and that this update has really made a mess, and continues to mess up all remedial actions.

The problem with the updates is that it doesn´t even tell you what´s going on, let alone allow you to choose whether you want it or not, or even postpone it.

I wonder what will happen once it finishes its factory-reset (tomorrow, perhaps?) and Windows 10 starts updating itself. It seems like a vicious circle.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas... apart from returning the laptop, which is still on guarantee...

I would be very grateful for suggestions, opinions or anything that could help.
    Thank you very much in advance for your possible answers.

Cheers,

:)

Van Allen Belt, Nov 10, 2018

2. change admin username account

Hi
    vasilisnikolo

Are you logged in with the Microsoft account or a local account?

You can follow the steps below to change the username and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Under view, select large icons.
    • Go to User Account.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the User Account for which you want to select the password.
    • Click on Change the username.
    • Click on Change Name button.
    Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Nov 10, 2018
  3. OneMoar Win User
    request username change

can a ADMINISTRATOR change my username to Onemoar

OneMoar, Nov 10, 2018
  4. Username change caused serious problems

Change username on Windows 10.

Hi Jacob,

You can personalize your username on your account through the Microsoft website. To help you change your account name, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this article on how to
    change the name on your Microsoft account.
    Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps and complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if the issue persists.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Nov 10, 2018
Thema:

Username change caused serious problems

1. Username change caused serious problems - Similar Threads - Username change caused

2. Will changing my computer username cause any problems?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will changing my computer username cause any problems?: I want to change my computer username on Windows 11 but don't know if it will cause any issues. I noticed for files stored locally on my computer, like in the downloads section it has my computer username in it, so I am wondering 2 things:Will changing my computer username...
  3. Will changing my computer username cause any problems?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will changing my computer username cause any problems?: I want to change my computer username on Windows 11 but don't know if it will cause any issues. I noticed for files stored locally on my computer, like in the downloads section it has my computer username in it, so I am wondering 2 things:Will changing my computer username...
  4. Windows 11 Pro 22H2 Causing MAJOR & SERIOUS PROBLEMS

Windows 11 Pro 22H2 Causing MAJOR & SERIOUS PROBLEMS: I purchased a high-end PC in April, 2023 with Windows 11 Pro. From the outset, Windows 11 has been causing screens is apps particularly Excel & Quicken, to open and close by themselves, browsers FireFox, Edge, & Chrome to open & close by themselves, and general going haywire...
  5. A serious problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A serious problem: My laptop is switched on but then my screen is still black and I don’t know what is happening Can someone help me with any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-serious-problem/67266ddc-8d99-482a-a25e-35132fd90fa3
  6. A serious problem

A serious problem: My laptop is switched on but then my screen is still black and I don’t know what is happening Can someone help me with any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-serious-problem/67266ddc-8d99-482a-a25e-35132fd90fa3
  7. A serious problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Explorer.exe causing serious lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer.exe causing serious lag: So I've been dealing with this issue for YEARS! For some reason, explorer.exe is causing lag on my computer. I've read numerous other users having the same issue but nothing seems to come about to fix it. It simply causes everything to slow down, even though the CPU and RAM...
  9. update causes serious problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update causes serious problems: After an update yesterday nothing works normal -i can not open onedrive files - the EDGE browser crashes all the time -In the settings menu i can not choose anything, so i can not choose "recovery" - i can not send mails - some icons in the taskbar are disappeared,...
  10. Hostname change causing serious issues

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hostname change causing serious issues: I just performed an elevated hostname change in Power Shell... After restarting the computer I noticed that my wireless network was down/not showing. Upon further investigation my issues are: -> 80% of all my services were disabled -> "The computer can't connect to a...