Windows 10: Username: microsoft login vs local login

Discus and support Username: microsoft login vs local login in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have folders on my NAS that are mapped to drives on Win10. If I use my local username, I have no problem accessing the mapped drives. If I change my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by trippap, Apr 29, 2020.

1. trippap Win User

Username: microsoft login vs local login

I have folders on my NAS that are mapped to drives on Win10. If I use my local username, I have no problem accessing the mapped drives. If I change my login to use my Microsoft account, the computer cannot access the mapped drives. I am presented with a Microsoft security dialog box asking for my username and password. If I enter my Microsoft username and password, the credentials are rejected. What does Microsoft security expect in a situation like this?

:)

trippap, Apr 29, 2020
  2. brinuk Win User

How do Local and Microsoft login effect my PC's login from a boot.

I should be grateful for any help.
    At the moment I have a Local login and I am considering changing to a Microsoft login.
    If I do, does this mean that when my PC starts from a boot, that instead of the pin that I use to login to my account on the PC, I will be asked to login with both my Microsoft account username and password?
    If I make a mistake will I be locked out of my PC?
    Thank you

brinuk, Apr 29, 2020
  3. BigglesAB Win User
    Username for remote login

Hi,

Just a query regarding the actual username for remote login when you are using a Microsoft account for login?

Thanks

BigglesAB, Apr 29, 2020
  4. philc43 Win User

Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login

Microsoft does indeed pick the first 5 characters of your email address when setting up a new Microsoft Account login. If you create a local account first you can specify the username you want and then change it to a Microsoft account later. In that way you will keep your original [AccountName] for the user folder.

Changing the [AccountName] is very difficult, I am not sure what you did in step 3 of your post but that is most certainly where things started to go wrong.

I hope I have understood your question properly.

philc43, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Username: microsoft login vs local login - Similar Threads - Username microsoft login

2. Username-password login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Username-password login: OK so I want to make to where you need a username and password like for when you are logging into a remote cpu I followed the steps but it will not show up here is a set of pictures to help identify it...
  3. Username-password login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Username-password login: OK so I want to make to where you need a username and password like for when you are logging into a remote cpu I followed the steps but it will not show up here is a set of pictures to help identify it...
  4. Microsoft login vs. local login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft login vs. local login: My Windows 10 Pro is accessed by me (administrator) using my Microsoft password. If I want to connect from another computer, I am asked for my password which I assume is a local one, which I do not have. Is there a way that I can keep using my Microsoft login yet have a local...
  5. Password and username login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password and username login: I just posted the question regarding manually logging in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-and-username-login/755eceb8-be5f-4c8d-9201-37475b01451e
  6. Password and username login

Password and username login: When I go to certain websites that require a username and password this information seems to be there and I just have to use the enter button. How do I change this format so that I have to manually type in the username and password because I don't feel comfortable with the...
  7. User login vs. admin login.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User login vs. admin login.: In some apps such as Hallmark, projects cards, etc. are seen in project lists when logged in as admin and can be modified, but not logged in as a user. How can this be fixed? I would like to only have one login to be used for everything, including updates, mail, etc.. I...
  8. Username login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Username login: When I first received my laptop, I linked my old microsoft account. Months ago, I deleted it because I saw no use in it, but replaced it with my school email instead. Recently, I tried installing an app from the store but I needed to create a new account because my school...
  9. Local username/profile for Microsoft Account login?

Local username/profile for Microsoft Account login?: Whenever I log in with my Microsoft Account to a new machine, it creates a local username and profile folder with a misspelled name (last few characters are truncated). (e.g. "C:\Users\willi" instead of "C:\Users\william"). Where is this stored, and can I change it? I...
  10. Login Credentials (Local vs Live ID)

in Windows 10 Support
    Login Credentials (Local vs Live ID): I suppose I don't have a "real" problem with using a Live ID to log in to Windows 9 (should they abandon local user names, as I hear they just might). My concern would be logging in to Windows NT based servers, or Windows NT domains. Would Live ID logins not pose an issue...