Windows 10: Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

Discus and support Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by t87699, Nov 15, 2021.

1. t87699 Win User

Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to block, but I can't find it. Have tried adding it, but no where to be found.thanks

:)

t87699, Nov 15, 2021
  2. LW02 Win User

user files are accessible to all users

I am setting up a new computer. I am set up as administrator (local account) and I have added my kids as Other users (local account-not administrator). (I do not want to set them up as a Microsoft accounts).

The new computer has one (small) hard drive for storing the operating system and a large hard drive for storing data. All user accounts were set up on the small drive. I changed all the user accounts to the other drive by following steps on Microsoft to
    move the folders under folder properties, doing it folder by folder-documents, then music, then pictures, etc. for each user. All the files in the various user accounts are synced (with a local copy) with Dropbox.

That seemed to work except that all of user files are accessible to all users. If you look on the folder properties for the folder, they all say they aren't shared but they are.

I am trying to fix this by going in to folder properties and changing the security settings. Under the security settings, the following groups have access to my administrator folder: Authenticated Users, SYSTEM, [my user account], Administrators, Users.
    Under Advanced, I disabled inheritance for the user account folder. Then I delete the access for user. That blocked access for other users to my some of my user folders but not others. (I primarily care about access to my files.)

Any suggestions for fixing this?

3. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, Nov 15, 2021
  4. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

Blocking and Allowing a Certain Program to a User in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Which option of the operating system are you exactly talking about (it will be easy for us to help you in resolving the issue quickly)?
    • Do you want to block the access of files & folders for the other user profile?

You can give permission for accessing/denying the files/folders on a drive to a user profile by setting appropriate permissions on the operating system.

To block the permission of the other user profile to access the files & folders, I suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Window logo + E keys on the keyboard and click on
      This PC located on the right hand panel of the screen.

• Open the drive where the application files are located.

• Right click on the application file and select Properties.

• Click on the Security tab of the window and click on the user profile name to deny access to under
      Group or user names.

• Click on Edit button and give permissions accordingly to the user profile.

• Click on Apply and OK.

• Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 15, 2021
Thema:

Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

1. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done - Similar Threads - Users blocking access

2. Users - stopping other user from having access to my files- can do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users - stopping other user from having access to my files- can do?: Made another User account, but they have access to all my filesMade them a Guest, they can't get my Word files but they can access all the files in my D folder.Is there wany way to stop them?I've tried going to D folder preferences and security, but can't find the other user...
  3. Users - stopping other user from having access to my files- can do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users - stopping other user from having access to my files- can do?: Made another User account, but they have access to all my filesMade them a Guest, they can't get my Word files but they can access all the files in my D folder.Is there wany way to stop them?I've tried going to D folder preferences and security, but can't find the other user...
  4. Users - stopping other user from having access to my files- can do?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done: Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to block, but I can't find it. Have tried adding it, but no where to be found.thanks...
  6. Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users - blocking access to other users' files - can it be done: Is there any way to block a user from accessing the files of the main account in Win10?I have gone to security to find the other user's account to block, but I can't find it. Have tried adding it, but no where to be found.thanks...
  7. one user can access, other user cannot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    one user can access, other user cannot: Two Win10Pro vers 20xx computers, Ethernet LAN. In compD (destination): - password protected sharing is OFF - shares give full control permission to Everyone. CompS (source) UsernameS (standard account) can access compD (dest) which also has UsenameS. CompS Explorer lists...
  8. user files are accessible to all users

user files are accessible to all users: I am setting up a new computer. I am set up as administrator local account and I have added my kids as Other users local account-not administrator. I do not want to set them up as a Microsoft accounts. The new computer has one small hard drive for storing the operating...
  9. Block other users on Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Block other users on Windows 10: I di not allow other users on my device. Block and delete all data how do I do this? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-other-users-on-windows-10/4f4804e4-5575-451f-b9cb-8df6ca0d820d"
  10. Access User Files on Other Computer

Access User Files on Other Computer: Hello all, I just upgraded my PC case and after putting everything together, I booted the PC. Instead of booting into Windows 10, I received the 0xc000000e error saying the winload.exe was missing or corrupt. Using start up repair and resetting the PC all failed. I'm going...