Windows 10: Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames

Discus and support Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Ok, I'm so confused I don't know if I will make sense, but I will try. Windows update hosed my networking. So while I was trying to fix it, I noticed... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by QuillBall, Jun 14, 2018.

1. QuillBall Win User

Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames

Ok, I'm so confused I don't know if I will make sense, but I will try. Windows update hosed my networking. So while I was trying to fix it, I noticed something really strange.

My Users folder is in my C drive, my root drive. What?
    So my administrator, default, default.migrated, DefaultAppPool, Gina (which was used to sign in under Windows 7), and Public users and their folders are in C:\Users

I don't see a Users folder in C:\Windows at all. However, a networked computer can see a Users folder there. It lists just default and default.migrated. I'm not sharing those so I can't access.

I also have two user folders on my desktop. I have no idea how they got there. I usually make shortcuts to userfolders on my desktop to get into those folders quickly. But they don't seem to be shortcuts anymore. One is called Gina, the other is Gina Lastname. When I upgraded the OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I made a microsoft account and it kind of gave me an alias persay. The problem is, there seems to be more files in the Gina Lastname folder than the Gina folder, and I can't find a Gina Lastname folder anywhere on the computer. I have two shortcuts that I made ages ago, but for some reason Gina Lastname folder doesn't list Properties when I right click, so I can't find the location of the folder which must just be the desktop. I tried to move the Users folder back into C:\Windows, but it give me an error something about unspecified error keeping me from preventing the file move. It asks for Administrator ok to copy, but I'm not sure it's not going to screw things up.

WHAT is happening here? Can anyone help me out?

:)

QuillBall, Jun 14, 2018
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jun 15, 2018
  3. Pam' Win User
    Windows 10 incorrect username in C:\Users\xxx

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Acer>Run as administrator

'Run' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file

C:\Users\Acer>cmd

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Acer>UAC

'UAC' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Acer>net user administrator/active:yes

The syntax of this command is:

NET USER

[username [password | *] [options]] [/DOMAIN]

username {password | *} /ADD [options] [/DOMAIN]

username [/DELETE] [/DOMAIN]

username [/TIMES:{times | ALL}]

username [/ACTIVE: {YES | NO}]

------------------------------------------------------------

Now what do I do?

4. Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames

Windows 10 incorrect username in C:\Users\xxx

Hello Krithika,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that you want to change the User Account folder name. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

I would suggest you to enable the Built in Administrator Account and then make appropriate changes to the folder name of the user account you intend to. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box
    • Enter cmd and right-click on the Command Prompt result that should appear.
    • This opens a list of options at the bottom. Select Run as administrator there.
    • Accept the UAC prompt
    • Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
      net user administrator /active:yes
    • Now login to the Built in Administrator account which you have enabled.
    • Open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users, open the Users folder, right click on the user profile folder (ex: Old Name) that you want to change the name of, and click on Rename.
    Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 15, 2018
Thema:

Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames

1. Users Folder Somehow in C:\.... Not seen in C:\Windows..Two Usernames - Similar Threads - Users Folder Somehow

2. Download folder missing from C:/User/<username>

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download folder missing from C:/User/<username>: I was trying to transfer Downloads folder to E:/Downloads by editing it's location in properties.After updating the location download folder from C: drive vanished but no new download folder in E: drive and all the downloads still going to original C: drive location.I tried...
  3. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  4. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  5. Username folder in drive C

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Username folder in drive C: Hello,I want to change my user folder name in C:/User with no other issue, is there any way to do that?I have tried renaming in the registry key, but then win10 requires me to login again - I'm ok with that - but I have to reinstall all my app : is there any way to change...
  6. Username folder in drive C

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Username folder in drive C: Hello,I want to change my user folder name in C:/User with no other issue, is there any way to do that?I have tried renaming in the registry key, but then win10 requires me to login again - I'm ok with that - but I have to reinstall all my app : is there any way to change...
  7. Username folder in drive C

8. "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>"

"C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>": "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>" refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and...
  9. Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing C:\Users\USERNAME: When setting up a computer, you are initially prompted to create a username. Once this name is created, how can it be changed? To be clear, you can change your personal account name (found under Settings>Account>Your Info), but this does not change C:\Users\USERNAME (or...
  10. Equivalent of "c:\Users\username"

Equivalent of "c:\Users\username": I know that "C\Users\username" has an equivalent form which looks like "%something%." What goes between the percent signs? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/equivalent-of-cusersusername/772b8b4a-dade-4a99-b7e5-3d69fe7f88b6"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>

2. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19510.1000] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>

3. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19544.1000] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>

4. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19528.1000] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  5. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18956.1000] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  6. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.20133.1000] (c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  7. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.20135.1000] (c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  8. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19546.1002] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  9. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18886.1001] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  10. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.20136.1000] (c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  11. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19514.1000] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  12. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19511.1000] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  13. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18967.1000] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  14. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19549.1000] (c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>,
  15. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19546.1000] (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\LocalAdminUser>www.bing.com