Windows 10: Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free

Discus and support Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I've never seen any definitive proof that bloatware actually lowers the cost of computers for the purchaser. OTOH, I have no doubt that it adds to OEM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free

I've never seen any definitive proof that bloatware actually lowers the cost of computers for the purchaser.
    OTOH, I have no doubt that it adds to OEM profits.

Does that actually return your install to "pristine" condition?

It seems to me that most uninstallers can't remove/reverse the changes that the installers have made (especially crapware).

lehnerus2000, Feb 2, 2015

2. Depending on the OEM and grade quality of the PC. I know that ASUS' bloatware is limited to their few little things they have here and there, not a lot of bloat at all and not really worth reinstalling an OS from scratch.

Toshiba on the other hand, especially their lower end stuff, is loaded with bloatware and crapware up the hoo-ha. For me, it's actually easier and faster to just redeploy Windows through DISM and go from there; it literally can take three minutes tops to deploy out my customized image hard drive to hard drive and then maybe 10 tops for drivers to be loaded onto the PC.

HP is kind of in the middle between ASUS and Toshiba. It depends.

Coke Robot, Feb 2, 2015
  3. Trust_No1 Win User
    The problem with that is a clean install will wipe your factory restore capabilities, no one should have to do that, just to get a bloatware free system. Why people insist on defending company tactics like this is beyond me. If more people stood up and said enough is enough the companies would stop doing it.

Trust_No1, Feb 2, 2015
  4. VBS
    VBs Win User

Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free

The problem with that is a clean install will wipe your factory restore capabilities, no one should have to do that, just to get a bloatware free system. Why people insist on defending company tactics like this is beyond me. If more people stood up and said enough is enough the companies would stop doing it.
    I see no problem here (with exception of it voiding warranty, but it should not void hardware warranty). If someone can do clean reinstall its not that difficult to make image backup of clean system that is better than factory restore where you probably restore system with all pre-installed bloat ware, also when making image you can choose where to store it, for example on external storage so that even on HDD failure you can replace HDD and restore your system. There is tutorial how to make system image with free macrium
    Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums
    You can choose other software free or paid that fits your needs best.

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

As people have said it's a very simple job to get rid of bloat and crapware on a new machine with pre-installed Windows.

ALWAYS though IMAGE the OEM hidden partition -- then you can also delete that too. If you need to return the machine back to the store simply RESTORE the OEM partition and then use the OEM restore (i.e 2 restores - first the OEM partition and then use the OEM version of restore to reset the machine back to store state).

People who want to get rid of it will log on to Forums like this or ask people they know. Other people won't be bothered. (Rather like people sticking with the SAME Bank they have had for 20 - 30 years or more even when a simple switch would give them a much better service and deal).

A savvy buyer these days can often negotiate a deal when buying a PC to get a RETAIL copy of the OS thrown in too. However if you do that remember the PC might have a special driver or two in it so re-installing a brand new retail version isn't always 100% as easy as it sounds. It's always easy to REMOVE the bloatware though. You don't need these 3rd party things like PC de-crapifier or whatever -- don't start off a NEW PC by letting things mess around with the registry --simply use Programs and features.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 2, 2015
  6. Golden Win User
    Hopefully we can figure out to do a OEM Clean Install, as was the case with Windows 7. I think the success of that will depend on whether we still use a traditional COA product key to activate the installation....Im unsure of whether that has been determined yet.

Golden, Feb 2, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    First, the point was that they were asking MS to prevent OEM's from bundling crapware on any system, not just premium ones.

Second, it's really between you and your OEM, not Microsoft. OEM's use this crapware as a way to defray costs to sell you systems cheaper. If you can negotiate with them for a way to get that system without the crapware by paying more, that's up to you and them.

Otherwise, vote with your wallet and don't buy from vendors who sell you systems with crapware. *Ditto. . .You would think folks could figure that out without having to complain about it. . .*Huh Yeah, but Microsoft sells it software to OEM's. Microsoft can tell a OEMs what to do or not provide the Operating system. They done it in the past. I remember reading something if the OEM's don't do that, the OEM's wouldn't get an official windows 8/8.1 logo. Have you ever thought people have complained to the OEM's but no one is listening?

OEMs need to go back to they way they use to do it.
    Provided an OEM installation disk for clean install.
    Provided a driver disk
    Provided the 3rd party software on dvd/cd disks. There are some people that want 3rd party software. I like the dell webcam, but I had to download it from dell website.

Also, you shouldn't have to agree to an agreement to use your own computer. That mad me *Mad when I saw that. It is my computer not theirs. I paid for it. I am not talking about the EULUs that different. . . .Totally wrong.

8. Trust_No1 Win User

Is Best Buy, Walmart, Newegg going to throw in a retail copy of windows? I need to know where you get your stuff.

Why do I have to go through all the headache to get rid of something that shouldn't be there? Perhaps I need to become a hermit, I am tired of having garbage constantly shoveled down our throats. Everyone has their hands in our pockets.

Trust_No1, Feb 2, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    The same reason you often have to go through the headache of X'ing out ads on YouTube videos; the user who enabled monetization on their videos wants to make money.

Edwin, Feb 2, 2015
  10. I get the impression that I'm attending a Computer Engineers convention, and not a Computer Users Group.

Most of the suggestions I've read here are above and beyond the knowledge and capability of 99.999% of the people in the world that actually buy and use computers. Most know nothing about Crapware, and they go to their local Walmart or Best Buy and see something that they can afford, buy it, take it home and start using it, like they would a Blender or Toaster. They know nothing about even what OS is on the dang thing.

People call me in desperation when their four or five year old PC has quit working and they can't even tell me what OS is on the thing, let alone, what CPU, how much RAM it has, or any of that stuff.
    I get to the users home and find out that there is NO lic. key, no recovery CD's, no backups of any kind and the HD is just one big partition. Grrrrr!

So I set about getting the PC to work, first off, then remove years of Temp files and other pure Garbage, then when it's working I start the laborious process of getting rid of all the Crapware that came installed on the PC.

I like using the "Revo Uninstaller", because it also removes the Registry Entries for the crapware being removed.
    I recently ran my "Temp Cleaner" program on a ladies Laptop and it removed 39GB of just pure Garbage. She was watching and she was horrified that so much garbage had built up on her little Lappy.

Several Windows 8 and 8.1 PC's that I've set up in the past year, have no License Key sticker on the case, as has been the SOP for previous PC's.

The only sensible thing for me to do, as a Computer Tech, is to clean and tune the PC for optimum performance and then do a backup, to a newly created second "Storage" partition. That's not 100% ideal, but it's quick, and it does provide a means of recovery if Windows gets messed up and will no longer function properly. I do retain the Backup/Restore Boot CD, because my customer wouldn't know how to use it anyway.

I just downloaded the NEW version of the "Decrapifier" program and it looks good.*
    * It won't run on XP though. An older version is required for that.

Cheers Mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Feb 2, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    First, the point was that they were asking MS to prevent OEM's from bundling crapware on any system, not just premium ones.

Second, it's really between you and your OEM, not Microsoft. OEM's use this crapware as a way to defray costs to sell you systems cheaper. If you can negotiate with them for a way to get that system without the crapware by paying more, that's up to you and them.

Otherwise, vote with your wallet and don't buy from vendors who sell you systems with crapware. *Ditto. . .You would think folks could figure that out without having to complain about it. . .*Huh Yeah, but Microsoft sells it software to OEM's. Microsoft can tell a OEMs what to do or not provide the Operating system. They done it in the past. I remember reading something if the OEM's don't do that, the OEM's wouldn't get an official windows 8/8.1 logo. Have you ever thought people have complained to the OEM's but no one is listening?

OEMs need to go back to they way they use to do it.
    Provided an OEM installation disk for clean install.
    Provided a driver disk
    Provided the 3rd party software on dvd/cd disks. There are some people that want 3rd party software. I like the dell webcam, but I had to download it from dell website.

Also, you shouldn't have to agree to an agreement to use your own computer. That mad me *Mad when I saw that. It is my computer not theirs. I paid for it. I am not talking about the EULUs that different. . . .Totally wrong. Lee,
    I am not totally wrong and I respectfully disagree. Please, do some research first.
    When I got my first windows 95 computer. There was a company called AST. They were helpful more than any other OEM. My computer came with a windows 95 oem. They had a restore cd and provided several 3rd party software on CD. When I got an xp no service pack e-machine (Which only lasted a year) it came with a factory restore disk and several 3rd party software on CD. With this latest machine windows 7, dell provided a drivers disk. I got a re-installation disk from Dell.

Yes, Microsoft most certainly can tell an oem what to do but in most cases won't. You need to search for the story about uefi or secure boot. Oem's wouldn't get an official windows 8/8.1 logo if they had uefi or secure boot turned off, one of those had to be turned on.

groze, Feb 2, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Progress doesn't always mean what it says. Years ago you used to get a PC WITH an OS Disk, an APPLICATION INSTALL disk and a DRIVERS Disk.

Gone are those days -- today you get a dubious restore partition using proprietary software which often DOESN'T EVEN WORK. !!!

Perhaps a start would be for all PC's to come with a separate OS disk again (even if it's an OEM version) on separate media --a small USB device cost PEANUTS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 2, 2015
  13. Winuser Win User

I really don't think MS cares if the OEMs add extra software to their computers. OEMs are out to make a profit. One way is to have software companies pay them to pre-install their software. Then they can lower the purchase price of the computers and hopefully sell more computers. If you don't want pre-installed software you'll probable have to custom order it and pay a higher price. Most people are just going to go to places like Best Buy or Walmart and buy what's available.

Winuser, Feb 2, 2015
  14. Superfly Win User
    Absolutely... *Smile

..Or try direct Microsoft Signature

I did a quick price comparison on a Lenovo i7...and MS store worked out cheaper (compared to ordering directly from Lenovo, let alone the resellers) - and without crapware!
    I realise a lot would like a physical demo prior... but for those that aren't too fussed... there you go.

Superfly, Feb 2, 2015
  15. caperjack Win User
    and that goes for hardware also, last year I bought the parts to build my own tower, I had to go online to download a [PDF file]manual for my Gigabyte motherboard to see what sata ports to use for each drive ,and other settings I might have to make

caperjack, Feb 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free - Similar Threads - Users Bloatware Free

2. Windows 10 LTSC bloatware-free promise challenged by recent security updates

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 LTSC bloatware-free promise challenged by recent security updates: KEY POINTS Windows 10 LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) is preferred for stability and fewer changes. However, recent September and October 2023 updates have introduced unexpected changes, causing concern among users. Microsoft added a non-removable “Windows Backup” app...
  3. Cannot find HPTouchpointAnalytics Bloatware on computer Want to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot find HPTouchpointAnalytics Bloatware on computer Want to delete: HP Laptop running W10 V20H2 Every now and then, my Hitman scanning program recognizes secretly installed HP Bloatware that I did not authorize. When this stuff hits, I can have it deleted, however, the program that causes this stuff to be secretly installed is still present...
  4. Bloatware free "fresh start" in 20H2?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bloatware free "fresh start" in 20H2?: Hi, I have a new HP desktop that is on version 20H2. Using "reset this PC" for a clean bloatware free reinstall and the tutorial I am following from the May 2020 update speaks of a toggle under "additional settings" > "change settings" that said: "restore preinstalled apps?"...
  5. bloatware

in Windows 10 Customization
    bloatware: after running this command in powershell - DISM /Online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages select-string Packagename the results include - AdvancedMicroDevicesInc-2.59462344778C5_10.19.40016.0_x64__0a9344xs7nr4m i think this is the AMD radeon settings lite app is it...
  6. is Windows 10 free for Windows 8 users?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is Windows 10 free for Windows 8 users?: I'm still running windows 8 and want to upgrade to 10, will I have to purchase a new license key? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgwe3l/is_windows_10_free_for_windows_8_users/
  7. Bloatware Windows 10

Bloatware Windows 10: Way more smarter people on forum. I am in Powershell looking at all my packages. Just curious what stuff does? Microsoft.AsyncTextService_8wekyb3d8bbwe What is it?...
  8. WIndows bloatware

WIndows bloatware: Hi, Now and then I have to reinstall my Windows 10 system and every-time it automatically starts downloading various bloatware, junk and garbage games, dodgy apps and general nonsense. Can I somehow disable it during installation? Even when I block all preinstalled...
  9. Bloatware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bloatware: I finally received my Dell Laptop. It came with little bloatware and I am very surprised with it. So far it works flawless. However, the bloatware that it did come with, I would like to know if I should remove it. The following is the list of bloatware: 1.)...
  10. Windows 10 Users Rail Against Microsoft Bloatware

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Users Rail Against Microsoft Bloatware: In addition to some pre-installed Windows 10 apps, Microsoft is also bundling others belonging to third parties, including Candy Crush Saga, a game that has already proved to be very successful on mobile platforms. But on Windows 10, users don’t seem to be very excited about...