Windows 10: Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free

Discus and support Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; One thing that annoys me with this preinstalled junk is, the first time you log in with your Live ID, all those pre-installed apps get added to your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free

One thing that annoys me with this preinstalled junk is, the first time you log in with your Live ID, all those pre-installed apps get added to your "My Apps" section of the Windows Store. Before you even get a chance to uninstall them. And stay there even if you do uninstall them. My "My Apps" section of the Windows Store is full of junk I didn't want and never used. And I will never ever use them or install them again. There is no way to clean them out of the store either. Not without creating a new account. That needs to change. It makes it a royal pain to find the ones I do use from that list.

alphanumeric, Feb 2, 2015

2. I think one must keep in mind who the major market is for Microsoft and the major computer makers is.

Well it isn't a bunch of techie's like the members of this forum.
    It's Joe lunch box, Mary close basket and Larry can I play games.

All those things (Crapware) that we don't want on our new computers they have no idea what they are or where they came from. As far as they know their computers won't run without them.

These computer buyers are just like the majority of car buyers.
    Ask yourself or a neighbor if they know where to located a valve keeper on their vehicle or a caliper slide pin.
    You/they have no idea and don't want to know. It does the things they want a vehicle to do and it's the color they want.
    Most computer buyers don't want to be a techie just like most car buyers don't want to be a mechanic.

Most computer buyers think Crapware is a free bonus the manufacture gives them because they want to be a nice company and show appreciation for the customers business.

Okay back to us that know what Crapware is and in most cases don't want it.
    I hope we will be able to either buy a computer with out a Operating System and install it our selves or some how get the COA key off our new system and do a Clean Install.

I and many other members on this forum don't have this hassle because we build our own systems and install exactly what we choose to; but we are a small market compared to Joe, Mary and Larry. If I had to buy a complete computer I would use a computer business in my town to build me a computer to my liking. In many cases they will be in the price range of a chain store computer.

Their are many markets for computers; one just has to pick which one they want to be in.

Layback Bear, Feb 2, 2015
  3. Trust_No1 Win User
    here, here, totally agree

Trust_No1, Feb 2, 2015
  4. Winuser Win User

Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free

The few local shops that I know of in my area don't even come close to the prices of the big box stores. The best prices I have seen was at the computer shows. Sadly there haven't been any shows locally in a few years. I'd have to drive all the way to the Baltimore MD area to attend a computer show.

Winuser, Feb 2, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    FWIW, I purchased a custom PC at a local shop last year and it cost a total of 420.00 with tax.

I simply took my copy of Win8.1 and re-installed it over the Win7 Home they had installed. It took all of 30 minutes to get the entire job done and it worked just fine.

I got lucky because my shop has a layaway program. You can check the specs of my PC below and see I got a decent PC for the money.

Just my 2c
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 2, 2015
  6. Maybe Medion are one of the better manufacturers regarding 'crapware' then. I have one of their laptops (using it to post this reply) and have had it for a little over a year. It came with: a load of crapware, a restore partition AND a Win 8 DVD.

Soon after receiving it, I uninstalled all the crapware I did not need. Over time the laptop became more sluggish. So I recently reinstalled Windows via the restore partition. It simply restored the machine back to factory conditions INCLUDING the crapware. I then re-reinstalled using the supplied Win 8 DVD. It installed Windows and nothing else.

As a result, my laptop is faster and leaner. So some manufacturers still do offer a Windows disk as standard. They're few and far between though.

thefrecklepuny, Feb 3, 2015
  7. I agree with your assessment of average users. *Smile

I would also add that (IMO) the same thing applies with installers downloaded from the Internet.

When I first downloaded an installer, I assumed that the installation procedure was exactly the same as installing from a disc and that every item shown during the installation was a required component.

I wouldn't have classified myself as a "noob", as I had been using PCs since ~1983.

I suspect that a lot of average users don't realise that they can get custom-built PCs.

lehnerus2000, Feb 3, 2015
  8. groze Win User

I suspect that a lot of average users don't realize that they can get custom-built PCs. Yeah in the past computers didn't come with bloatware. When I did realize you could get a custom built system it cost twice or three times as much. I also had a bad experience because the shop didn't listen to what I said. At least, I got my money back. I like desktop but now I prefer all-one-desktop with dvd rw drive or laptops without dvr/cd drive.

groze, Feb 3, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Nah, they want what they want when they want it and they want to pay what they want to pay for it.

Seriously, it's the manufacturers who want us consumers to pay lots of money for a computer filled with bloat ware that they have already been paidto install on the dang thing! So, they get our money plus the advertisers' money too.

So, nope! In this case it's the other way around.

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
  10. Wynona Win User
    Thrash, the OEM key is usually embedded in your BIOS. If you have a friend who had the same exact version that's on your PC, you could borrow it and reinstall. Of course, it would have to be a retail version.

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
  11. Wynona Win User
    Jimbo, they claim the reason we no longer get those disks is to save money for the consumer. Ha!

Lemme see now . . . approximately $1.50 retail for the three DVDs (OS, Drivers, Trial Software) which can be mass produced. I'd be willing to pay an additional $10 for this media. I don't think the manufacturer gets more than about $4.00 for the bloat ware, so I think that would be fair. In the long run, they'd make money.

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    That's nonsensical. Nobody wants to pay anything for anything. So if you leave the price up to the users, everything will be free. And of course if you leave the "what they want" up the users, everyone will have 1000 room mansions on miles of property, with no property tax, and they want it now.

The problem with "The customer is always right" is that the customer is so infrequently right.

That's not how the market works. Margins are razor think in the computer market. The only way to make more money is to sell more volume. The only way to sell more volume is to find ways to shave the price lower than your competitor. So it's just not in their interest to get paid by crapware vendors and NOT lower the price... why build bad will from your customer if it's not going to actually gain you more sales?

Things work in volume in the PC business... if you sell 1000 unites it costs $x per unit but if you sell 10,000 units it costs $x - y% volume discount from your hardware vendors, so you gain much more by lowering your cost than you do by raising your margin.

Mystere, Feb 3, 2015
  13. Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free

I wasn't on Vista long enough to love or hate it I was a free upgrade on a qualifying purchases at that time,
    Except for my laptop which I did buy a upgrade to 7 because I liked it out of the box *Wink
    My only gripe was Libraries which did grow on me eventually and I find them useful *Tongue

I can't say that for 8 or now 10tp out of the box
    I personally never liked or used messengers now the live titles thing is where Microsoft is at and I find it an opposite of my preference,
    10 wants a Microsoft account for a computer login so all of these live apps will setup and make life easier for those that did use messenger.....
    I avoided Bing desktop search and Onedrive now they're both set in stone in the install of 10tp I can't say I like that at all,

I also can't say Microsoft message popups have improved at all "You have apps that can open that file"
    Really which app is that lol *Biggrin
    Open a doc file and word opens..... *Tongue

So right now allot is just a pestware or bloatware if I don't use it or want it installed
    Much hopefully will change in the final release of which I've already formatted and ready for the next build to appear and I'll see what that is like *Wink

At this recent build I'm not a fan out of the box

ThrashZone, Feb 3, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Remember the old adage :

"The price of Education is expensive ... the price of Ignorance is Astronomical".

I believe that statement came from "The Emerald Isle - Ireland" - but it's certainly even truer today than when that expression was first used.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 3, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    That's not how the market works. Margins are razor think in the computer market. The only way to make more money is to sell more volume. The only way to sell more volume is to find ways to shave the price lower than your competitor. So it's just not in their interest to get paid by crapware vendors and NOT lower the price... why build bad will from your customer if it's not going to actually gain you more sales?

Things work in volume in the PC business... if you sell 1000 unites it costs $x per unit but if you sell 10,000 units it costs $x - y% volume discount from your hardware vendors, so you gain much more by lowering your cost than you do by raising your margin. Well, of course, you're always right, so why should we discuss anything?

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free - Similar Threads - Users Bloatware Free

2. Windows 10 LTSC bloatware-free promise challenged by recent security updates

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 LTSC bloatware-free promise challenged by recent security updates: KEY POINTS Windows 10 LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) is preferred for stability and fewer changes. However, recent September and October 2023 updates have introduced unexpected changes, causing concern among users. Microsoft added a non-removable “Windows Backup” app...
  3. Cannot find HPTouchpointAnalytics Bloatware on computer Want to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot find HPTouchpointAnalytics Bloatware on computer Want to delete: HP Laptop running W10 V20H2 Every now and then, my Hitman scanning program recognizes secretly installed HP Bloatware that I did not authorize. When this stuff hits, I can have it deleted, however, the program that causes this stuff to be secretly installed is still present...
  4. Bloatware free "fresh start" in 20H2?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bloatware free "fresh start" in 20H2?: Hi, I have a new HP desktop that is on version 20H2. Using "reset this PC" for a clean bloatware free reinstall and the tutorial I am following from the May 2020 update speaks of a toggle under "additional settings" > "change settings" that said: "restore preinstalled apps?"...
  5. bloatware

in Windows 10 Customization
    bloatware: after running this command in powershell - DISM /Online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages select-string Packagename the results include - AdvancedMicroDevicesInc-2.59462344778C5_10.19.40016.0_x64__0a9344xs7nr4m i think this is the AMD radeon settings lite app is it...
  6. is Windows 10 free for Windows 8 users?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is Windows 10 free for Windows 8 users?: I'm still running windows 8 and want to upgrade to 10, will I have to purchase a new license key? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hgwe3l/is_windows_10_free_for_windows_8_users/
  7. Bloatware Windows 10

Bloatware Windows 10: Way more smarter people on forum. I am in Powershell looking at all my packages. Just curious what stuff does? Microsoft.AsyncTextService_8wekyb3d8bbwe What is it?...
  8. WIndows bloatware

WIndows bloatware: Hi, Now and then I have to reinstall my Windows 10 system and every-time it automatically starts downloading various bloatware, junk and garbage games, dodgy apps and general nonsense. Can I somehow disable it during installation? Even when I block all preinstalled...
  9. Bloatware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bloatware: I finally received my Dell Laptop. It came with little bloatware and I am very surprised with it. So far it works flawless. However, the bloatware that it did come with, I would like to know if I should remove it. The following is the list of bloatware: 1.)...
  10. Windows 10 Users Rail Against Microsoft Bloatware

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Users Rail Against Microsoft Bloatware: In addition to some pre-installed Windows 10 apps, Microsoft is also bundling others belonging to third parties, including Candy Crush Saga, a game that has already proved to be very successful on mobile platforms. But on Windows 10, users don’t seem to be very excited about...