Windows 10: Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC

Discus and support Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In 2018, Microsoft rebuilt its Internet Explorer successor ‘Edge’ to use the same foundations as Google Chrome. The Chromium-based Edge was finally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jun 28, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC

In 2018, Microsoft rebuilt its Internet Explorer successor ‘Edge’ to use the same foundations as Google Chrome. The Chromium-based Edge was finally released in January as a manual download on Windows 10, 7, 8.1, and macOS.

Last month, Microsoft also started pushing a new Windows 10 update that automatically updates the old Edge to the new one without any user intervention.

Depending on your current version of Windows, Microsoft says you’ll receive KB4559309, KB4541301 or KB4541302. The difference between a normal cumulative update and Edge update is that the latter is an automatic update and it will be forced on your system.

Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC Windows-10-KB4559309.jpg

According to user reports, Windows 10 KB4559309 (Edge update) could make some PCs slower to boot.

In addition, when Windows 10 does load up after applying the patch, some people have noticed that their computers act more slowly than before and there are noticable delays or lags when they load apps, switch between apps or FPS drop when they play games.

“Since this update was installed I have had boot problems and can only boot in safe mode. Windows startup repair says it can’t fix the problem,” one user noted, and others chimed in with similar complaints.

It’s important to note that not everyone will be affected by these issues. There are many configurations of Windows 10 with different apps and settings, so it’s not yet clear how widespread the issues are, but this patch appears to be particularly bad at slowing down various PCs or causing other problems.

Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC Microsoft-Edge-update.jpg

For every faulty Windows Update, the easiest way of fixing the problems is to uninstall the updates themselves. Unfortunately, you cannot uninstall the ‘KB4559309’ and your attempts will fail with a vague error message stating that the “update is required and cannot be uninstalled”.

How to fix issues with Windows 10 KB4559309

To fix issues with the update, you need to use System Restore feature and revert back to the previous version of Windows 10.

If you haven’t installed KB4559309 or you’ve reverted back to an earlier state, there are three ways to block the Edge update: use the dedicated toolkit that Microsoft released earlier this year, modify Registry or manually download the Chromium-based Edge from Microsoft’s website.

You can block Edge update by making the following tweaks to the Registry:

• Open Windows Registry editor.
    • Navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft
    • Right-click the Microsoft (folder) key.
    • Select New.
    • Click on Key.
    • Name it ‘EdgeUpdate’ and press Enter to save changes.
    • Right-click the new ‘EdgeUpdate’ key that you just created and select New.
    • Click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    • Name it ‘DoNotUpdateToEdgeWithChromium’ and press Enter.
    • Double-click on DWORD and change the value from 0 to 1.
    • Click on ‘OK’.
    • Reboot.

After modifying the Registry, Windows 10’s Edge update won’t be forced or downloaded on your device.

If you don’t want to use Registry editor or dedicated toolkit, you can simply install Chromium Edge from Microsoft website that will automatically prevent the Edge update.

Is Microsoft Edge update importing users’ data without permission?

Firefox users are also reporting that Edge browser, which is now being shipped to devices via Windows Update, forcefully imports the data from their Firefox browser without users’ permission.

These claims aren’t entirely true, but your data will be imported automatically without your permission if you forcefully block Edge browser process after applying Windows Update.

Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC New-Microsoft-Edge.jpg

Chromium Microsoft Edge gets pinned to the taskbar and it will launch automatically when you reboot the system to install Windows 10 Edge update (eg KB4559309). The browser window opens automatically to help you make the switch to the new Edge and you’ve to go through the wizard-based setup to discard the import of your personal browser data.

If you don’t remain patient and terminate the Edge browser prematurely using Task Manager, Edge will import some of your data from Firefox’s browser.

Solution? Don’t end the initial setup process of Microsoft Edge and go through the wizard setup, which shouldn’t take more than 2 minutes to finish.

The post Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Do windows updates slow down the computer?

New poster revives 4 month old thread that doesnt appear to be an issue anymore one way or the other. Seems legit.

CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC

Do windows updates slow down the computer?

Very late to this one . . . but of course Windows Update slows your computer. It's not rocket science. Updates are patches . . . added code. The more code your computer is required to read and process, the longer it's going to take to do it. The more bloated the code, the more RAM it requires.

Or let me put it another way: most people update or replace their computers because they are 'getting slow'. Computers don't get tired with age - what could possibly be slowing them down?

Windows Update and driver updates are the worst culprits. And the general advice to always update software and drivers is misguided.

There are a million different configurations of PCs in the world. Microsoft and other manufacturers cannot test the software on every spec. Over time problems are discovered running software on specific hardware. e.g. Windows 10 running Firefox from an SSD, using intel HD graphics on an AMD dual core processor will hang if Adobe is installed.

Microsoft or Intel with issue a patch to fix this. This patch will installed on every machine regardless of its configuration. So, even if you don't use Firefox, have an SSD or a dual-core processor your machine will run whatever patch code to accomodate the non-compliant configuration - thus slowing the system down.

Surtsey Ana, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC

1. Users warn new Windows 10 update could slow down your PC - Similar Threads - Users warn update

2. Windows 11 New Update slowing Down the PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 New Update slowing Down the PC: Hello Community,I Bought a new laptop for My Educational and Productivity Purpose. By Default I Installed Windows 11 And For few months the performance was Fascinating. but Since a week i've been noticing some of the slow downs in the laptop From Device boot time to The...
  3. Windows 11 New Update slowing Down the PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 New Update slowing Down the PC: Hello Community,I Bought a new laptop for My Educational and Productivity Purpose. By Default I Installed Windows 11 And For few months the performance was Fascinating. but Since a week i've been noticing some of the slow downs in the laptop From Device boot time to The...
  4. Windows Update slows down my pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update slows down my pc: Hi, I am an old user of windows 10, I updated my pc from win10 version 1909 to 20H2 in the month of March. The update was successful and my pc was normal as beforeupdating, but when I check for updates in the windows update settings page the available updates takes nearly 6-8...
  5. Windows updates slow my PC down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updates slow my PC down: So today I was going to record a YouTube video, when I noticed something wasn't right, the fps boost client was getting 50% less fps then normal, and when I tried running the recorder, when I hit record the entire recording app crashed.I checked task manager to see what was...
  6. Will updating to Windows 10 20H2 slow down my pc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will updating to Windows 10 20H2 slow down my pc?: Its as the title says...will it? submitted by /u/Wanyabe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kzreci/will_updating_to_windows_10_20h2_slow_down_my_pc/
  7. Slow down of PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow down of PC: After upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I observed that when I open any word file Microsoft word 2010 by PC become slow. For few particular word files my PC become terribly slow and it does not function properly. What is the reason for this and is there any solution?...
  8. Windows update slowed down PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update slowed down PC: After a recent windows update, my PC is unbearably slow. Applications take significantly longer to open and CPU usage is often well above the norm 70+% using windows explorer It affects all applications. I've now tried a system restore and a PC reset, but the pc is still...
  9. Microsoft new updates are all slowing my pc down.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft new updates are all slowing my pc down.: First of all I have a gaming laptop with an i7 6th gen processor, 16gb ram and a m.2 ssd which are all very good specs. Since few months now, I have noticed all my browsers are extremely slow. specially my chome browser. I thought it was a problem with my laptop. Also I...
  10. Pc slowed down after update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc slowed down after update: So about few hours ago I installed update for windows 10 and now my pc slowed down a lot,when booting instead of usual 1 minute now it takes 4-5 minutes or more and it also runs slower than usual.Anyone having this issue or know know how to fix it? 21422