Windows 10: "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators

Discus and support "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; In Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! Solved - Windows 10 Forums I posted of my confusion, a problem now solved,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by asus2016, Jan 17, 2018.

1. asus2016 Win User

"Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators

In Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! Solved - Windows 10 Forums I posted of my confusion, a problem now solved, about an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 10 installed suddenly being unable to download and install updates. "Net" of that was the computer needed a BIOS update, and once the shop did that, they were able to update Windows.

Problem solved... almost.

Today, my wife, who uses the laptop, was freaking because all of her documents were "gone."

I knew this wasn't the case, and with some looking, I found that the user accounts from the computer, pre-1709, were now in a folder called "Users_old" (D:\Users_old). A new "Users" folder was created with the 1709 update. That folder contains one folder for my wife (since it was her account logged in when the update was done), and that folder contains one "Documents" folder that was created when she tried to access her documents from the desktop "My Documents" shortcut that points to D:\Users\[wife]\Documents

I have read that the "Windows_old" folder is automatically removed after 10 days in a situation like this.

What happens to "Users_old?" THAT is the valid folder containing the files for my wife, and others who once had accounts on the computer.

Do I rename "Users" (the useless users folder created at the 1709 update) to "Users_New" and rename "Users_Old" to "Users"

Do I delete "Users" and just rename "Users_Old" to "Users"

Do I copy the contents of "Users_Old" into the "Users" folder?

To make clear, as it currently exists, "Users" is WORTHLESS to me. Everything we want is in the "Users_Old" folder. But because there is a chance Windows will delete that folder (no matter what I name it) I don't want to rely too much on it.

I *do* have an image of the hard drive that I took when it came back from the shop. So no files would/should be lost; all would be recoverable.

Is this creation of "Users_Old" an aberration? A normal quirk of this particular update? Was it possibly caused because for some reason the Users folder was on the D and not the C partition?

:)

asus2016, Jan 17, 2018

2. Can anyone help me with this audio issue?

If you read it he is on version 1703 not 1709.

seahawks65, Jan 17, 2018
  3. EhNaww Win User
    Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) - Constant High CPU Usage from System, ICS, Firewall, CoreMessaging and Filter Motor

Same here on Surface Pro 4. Started after Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) update came in. I had not turned "Defer updates" back on. Oops.

EhNaww, Jan 17, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

That folder is not the same as the Windows.old folder and shouldn't get automatically deleted. I'm betting the repair shop created it to back up all of your old User Folders / Files. ( ie. C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents, Pictures, etc)
    Note: To be on the safe side, I would copy the Users_Old Folder to USB stick or CD/DVD *Smile

No, I would not do any of those, there is a chance you could break the current User Profiles, if the Users_Old / Folders contained any NTUSER.DAT Files, etc.

Yes, I would copy any files you need/want into their proper Users Folders ( ie. C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents, Pictures, etc)
    Note: Be careful what you copy ... I would not copy Folders ... I would only copy files you recognize (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc)

Eagle51, Jan 18, 2018
  5. asus2016 Win User
    Eagle51, I have essentially followed your guidance here.

Upon more digging, the "Users" area on the D partition is not a configuration, App Data, whatever thing. It's simply the Documents area for each user. The only contents of each "User" subfolder is a "Documents" folder, which in turn contains all the folders and documents that one gets (or is expecting to get) by accessing the Documents library on the computer, when logged in as a certain user.

I had imaged the entire drive to an external hard drive, so it's all backed up safely.

Now on the laptop, I have copied the entire contents of the "Users_old" folder to both the current "Users" folder, and a new "Files from Users_old documents" folder that serves as a backup. After I did that, I made a "$0000" empty folder in the Users\[Wife]\Documents folder, just to differentiate it from the "Users_old" folder, and I clicked on the "Documents" library, and the correct folder opened up.

So I think I'm set. I was surprised when I googled the particulars of this error, that I saw so few other references to it, in this forum, or on the web as a whole.

I'll go a couple weeks and see if we have no more unpleasant surprises, then at that point - hope we get there - mark this as solved.

asus2016, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators - Similar Threads - Users_old directory updating

2. old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709: Since the upgrade to Fall Creators update the old style Defender UI MSASCui.exe produces an error if you try to look at Quarantined items on the History tab. Error loading type library/DLL Error code: 0x80029c4a I'm not the only one, apparently. Also reported here......
  3. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  4. Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update: Hello How to turn off driver update via regedit ? os windows 10 fall creatros update 1709 Thank you 99435
  5. After Fall Creators 1709 update Cellular and Ethernet problem appeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After Fall Creators 1709 update Cellular and Ethernet problem appeared: The Verizon WWAN connection works if no Ethernet present and Wifi is off. Plug in Ethernet cable (static or dhcp to non internet router) and the Cellular connection changes to private so we lose internet. If I turn on wifi and connect it to a non internet router - then the...
  6. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  7. Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop: After upgrading window 10 to the Fall UC, i'm having some problems with remote desktop: two pc both with 1709: Sometimes the login stuck and i only see the login image with the user icon but it does not enter the descktop, some other times it ask for password again, it...
  8. Hard Disk Usage After Fall Creators Update 1709

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Disk Usage After Fall Creators Update 1709: I installed the FCU 1709 today. About an hour ago, I was looking at my C: drive properties and I lost about 20 GB's with the install. Are there some very large download/install files on my C: drive that can be deleted now ? My C: drive is SDD 128 GB and before the install, I...
  9. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index: I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). Before the problem: Windows 10/drive C: is installed on a 250GB SSD, but most programs are installed on a conventional 640 GB...
  10. Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues: I am having issues updating from 1703 to 1709, and I could use some help. I used the native Windows Update tool to download 1709. I restarted my computer when prompted to begin the installation. I got about a quarter of the way through the installation when I got a blue...