Windows 10: Using 32-bit mstsc.exe on Windows 10

Discus and support Using 32-bit mstsc.exe on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I need to use mstsc.exe from SysWoW64 folder (so 32-bit one). Previously (up until Windows 8.1) I used a small batch to do it: Code: @echo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by joseph, Dec 22, 2015.

1. joseph Win User

Using 32-bit mstsc.exe on Windows 10

Hello,

I need to use mstsc.exe from SysWoW64 folder (so 32-bit one). Previously (up until Windows 8.1) I used a small batch to do it:
    Code: @echo off set WinDir= start C:\Windows\SysWow64\mstsc.exe[/quote] Now on Windows 10 it doesn't work anymore. 32-bit mstsc.exe starts for few miliseconds just to launch mstsc.exe from System32.
    When I copied mstsc.exe from SysWoW64 and paste it to System32 it ends up with a infinite loop of starting System32 mstsc.exe (now 32-bit but this one again tries to open the one from System32 and it goes forever).
    The only one possibility to do it is to rename mstsc.exe from System32 to other one and then, when mstsc.exe from SysWow64 can't find mstsc.exe in System32 it runs itself.

However this solution is not suitable for me. I would like to do it with a batch so I wouldn't have to set it up manually on every PC I would like to use it.

Did some one find a way to do it?

:)

joseph, Dec 22, 2015

2. Using 16-bit applications on Windows 10 32-bit

Windows 10, 32 bit has an easy tweak to enable DOS and legacy software to work.

Search within Windows 10 for “Windows features”. Under “Legacy Components” enable NTVDM.
    Then open the “Command Prompt”. Right-click over the title “Command Prompt” and select “Properties”.
    Select “Use legacy console (require re-launch)”. Close and re-open “Command prompt to test.

This information was provided by Marcelo Capozzi in the following post:

16 bits applications not working at all !

My old DOS "dBase III Plus" works just fine. I don't know why Microsoft made this such a mystery. They would have had a lot more people switching to Windows 10.

OFFTHECLOCK, Dec 22, 2015
  3. Using 16-bit applications on Windows 10 32-bit

The following option is available in Windows 10 32 bit versions:

Windows 8 Comes with Built-in Option to Turn On/Off 16-Bit Application Support - AskVG

So, yes, you can run them.

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for
    Windows 10.

You can also download the Download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How
    to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

Using 32-bit mstsc.exe on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Andre Da Costa, Dec 22, 2015
  4. joseph Win User

One year later and we still don't have solution for this problem...

joseph, Dec 11, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    Why do you need to run the 32 bit version of mstsc.exe?

When the 32 bit version starts it checks if it is running on a 64 bit OS. If so it will look for a 64 bit version in system32 and run it if present. The 32 bit version will then terminate. This is done within the 32 bit version and is beyond user control. That is how it works in Windows7, presumably the same in Windows 10. The 32 bit version is the same in either a 32 or 64 bit OS.

Other than renaming or removing the 64 bit version I don't see how to run the 32 bit version.

LMiller7, Dec 11, 2016
  6. joseph Win User
    Our 32-bit C++/MFC product uses VirtualChannel functionality of RDP and we have 32-bit DLL loaded for this purpose (it shares common libraries with product apps) and it is registered in registry under ...\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns. Mstsc.exe automatically loads DLL's when you put them there. Previously (before Windows 10) it wasn't beyond user control because there was this solution mentioned in first post. Since Windows 10 it stopped working. Currently there is no chance to migrate to x64 because it would take hundreds of hours to do so (mainly because mentioned DLL and APPs share common libraries so every app would have to be migrated - and that's few gigabytes of source code). I hope now you can understand our problem.

joseph, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using 32-bit mstsc.exe on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Using bit mstsc

2. windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit: hello, so recently I upgraded my computer to windows 10, but I did this while not knowing that I could get 64-bit as well, I've tried to download 64-bit on my upgraded computer via the media installation tool into my USB, but every time I do it, it says that windows cannot...
  3. 32 bit Windows 10?

32 bit Windows 10?: Greetings. As a hobby I help a few of the older members of the community with their computers. I recently took in a computer to look at with the usual complaint that "its slow". What I did find upon investigation was that the system MAY have been upgrade to W10 from maybe W7...
  4. Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit

Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit: Hello, I've just bought windows 10 32 bit and released I need the 64 bit version instead will I be able to upgrade this or will I need to buy the 64 bit version instead...
  5. Window 10 64 bit to 32 bit

Window 10 64 bit to 32 bit: I recently purchased a new hard drive, and I installed windows 10 64 bit on my laptop (Inspiron 15 3000 series) and after that the laptop started runnin slow, unable to use my technical drawing apps and my games. my RAM is 4GB and I want to install windows 10 32 bit but...
  6. 32 bit or 64 bit window 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    32 bit or 64 bit window 10?: how can i find out if my Windows 10 Home is a 32 bit or 64 bit version? My laptop is a 64 bit operating system. I've looked at the "Settings -- System -- About" and all it tells me is that it is Windows 10 Home....
  7. 32 or 64-bit exe-file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    32 or 64-bit exe-file?: There are two questions: first - how can I find out which version the application is? I mean 64 or 32-bit version. There is the simple command "file" in UNIX/Linux, does Windows have something similar? Thanks. Second - I've bought the computer with Win10 which already was...
  8. ram not full use in window 10 32 bit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ram not full use in window 10 32 bit: sir i have use window 32 bit ihave install 2 ram my pc 2 gb and 4 gb but use one ram only 3.41 gb give me solutions. my mother borad dd3 dual core 60655
  9. Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?

Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?: Yesterday I installed windows 10 with 32-bit operating system, but now I want to change the operating system to 64-bit. I want to know if I can reinstalled windows 10 with 64-bit operating system? 11557
  10. Windows 10 (32 bit)?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 (32 bit)?: I heard a rumour that there won't be a 32 bit version of Windows 10. How likely is this to be true if not decided on as yet? Because I have a 32 bit desktop PC and I want Windows 10 on it. 2845

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change display to 16 bit from 32 bit in mstsc