Windows 10: Using a cloned system drive the first time.

Discus and support Using a cloned system drive the first time. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I’m using a win10 EUFI computer v1909 with only one hard drive bay. I want a second drive to use if I have serious problems. Normally, it will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jim8080, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Jim8080 Win User

Using a cloned system drive the first time.

I’m using a win10 EUFI computer v1909 with only one hard drive bay.

I want a second drive to use if I have serious problems. Normally, it will be stored somewhere. It doesn’t replace periodic backups.

I’ll use Macirum Reflect to clone the entire internal drive to another drive in an external drive enclosure, then install the cloned drive in the computer in place of the existing drive and disconnect the external drive enclosure. Will the computer start normally?

After reading How to make cloned drive bootable? , I don’t think so, because it will not boot. What should I do? Remember that I only have one internal drive, and the posts in this thread seem to use two internal drives

Jim

:)

Jim8080, Jan 7, 2020
  2. Nickylee1 Win User

Do window 10 offer a clone image feature for backup system?

Hi, oemSoft

I am sorry to tell you that there is no built-in clone feature in Windows 10. If you just create a system image backup, you can follow the steps below to create a system image in Windows 10.

Step 1. Open Control Panel, go to System and Security > File History, then click System Image Backup at the lower-left corner. Or you can directly type backup and restore in the search box and select it from the search result list.

Step 2. Connect the USB drive to your computer and select it as the destination path, then click Next.

Step 3. Confirm your backup settings and click Start Backup.

However, if you want to clone your system directly, you can choose a third-party software like AOMEI Backupper. This is a professional clone software that allows you to

clone system
    to different places such as external hard drive, USB drive or Network, etc. without booting problems. With it, you also can clone the entire disk to HDD or SSD.

Nickylee1, Jan 7, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jan 7, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Using a cloned system drive the first time. - Similar Threads - Using cloned system

2. Cloning System Partitions Only Without Destroying Data On Clone Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning System Partitions Only Without Destroying Data On Clone Drive: I am trying to clone only System partitions from a 1TB SSD to a 4TB SSD that has 2 partitions filled with data but enough free space at its beginning to host the System partitions . 1st attempt I tried the copy System partitions only on Minitool Partition Wizard but was...
  3. First time using System Image, need some help/advice..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    First time using System Image, need some help/advice..: So i want to make a System Image from my whole Windows 10 (Software, drivers, documents etc..) So i can easily restore my Windows 10.. But my question is does it also Back-up Steam, Savegames, Games, Installed Games? and can i also Back up my 2nd hard drive where the games...
  4. Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning hard drive on a system with Optane Memory: I have a Dell XPS that has 16GB of Optane Memory that is active. If I plan to remove the hard drive after shutting the PC down in order to clone it, do I need to disable the Optane Memory first so whatever is there would be flushed to the hard drive first? From what I've read...
  5. cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions: I seek clarification for three groups of questions I have about cloning my C: Drive to SSD 1) On my C: HDD (Windows 10) there was still a 60 GB Recovery Partition with the original W8. I have deleted this and extended the main partition with the 60 GB (I did this mainly...
  6. cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions

in Windows 10 Support
    cloning C: System Drive to SSD questions: I seek clarification for three groups of questions I have about cloning my C: Drive to SSD 1) On my C: HDD (Windows 10) there was still a 60 GB Recovery Partition with the original W8. I have deleted this and extended the main partition with the 60 GB (I did this mainly...
  7. clone drive

clone drive: im trying to clone my startup to a ssd plkz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clone-drive/4bc8db0d-5b76-48a0-99e0-a0d5997e4853
  8. clone drive

clone drive: im trying to clone my startup to a ssd plkz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/clone-drive/4bc8db0d-5b76-48a0-99e0-a0d5997e4853
  9. Win10 cloning a drive under different system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 cloning a drive under different system: I have a win10 fresh install on an HP pavillion laptop (1tb)drive and i added a second drive( 250g) with my old OS (vista64 home) Now i want to move the 250 gigs of my old system to the new drive but I dont want it to boot to the old os.I want it to still boot with WIN10...
  10. First-time using an SSD drive for Windows 10 x64...

First-time using an SSD drive for Windows 10 x64...: Dear Win10 Forum: Dave C here, and I haven't been at this forum for quite some time...my previous Win 10 x64 install was hampered through January of this year, by what I found out (sadly) were defective Seagate 250 GB hard drives I HAD wanted to use for my Win10 x64-driven...