Windows 10: Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

Discus and support Using a flash-drive or external hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently every time I try to use a flash-drive or an external hard drive, I get this message. I don't have a problem using the logitech wireless... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tommie1998, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

Recently every time I try to use a flash-drive or an external hard drive, I get this message. I don't have a problem using the logitech wireless adaptor for my mouse/keyboard but when I insert a flash-drive or external hard drive this pops up.

Using a flash-drive or external hard drive f1666fb8-db55-418b-89cd-b3efc78b72da?upload=true.png

:)

Tommie1998, Nov 18, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 18, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Nov 18, 2020
  4. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

External hard drive

Hi Ren,

Why you're experiencing this kind of issue can be due to a variety of reasons.

Having said that, please provide the following for us to be able to learn more about your concern:

• Have you tried accessing the same external hard drive on a different Windows 10 PC? If yes, what is the result?
    • Have you tried plugging a different external hard drive or other external drives like flash drive and SD card? If yes, did you get the same result?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you've already done?

In the meantime, running the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter finds and repairs problems with your devices and hardware. Here's how to run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Right-click the Start icon, then select Control Panel.
    • Choose the Large icons option from the View by drop down list found on the upper-right part of the Control Panel window.
    • Locate then select Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Let us know the result of the troubleshooter.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

1. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive - Similar Threads - Using flash drive

2. Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives: When I start up my computer it will recognize an external hard drive if it is already plugged into a usb or is immediately plugged in following login. If I disconnect the external hard drive to switch to a different one then the new hard drive will not be recognized and will...
  3. Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 does not recognize external hard drives or flash drives: When I start up my computer it will recognize an external hard drive if it is already plugged into a usb or is immediately plugged in following login. If I disconnect the external hard drive to switch to a different one then the new hard drive will not be recognized and will...
  4. Using external hard drive to extend c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using external hard drive to extend c drive: Hello,I've been searching for how to use my external hard drive to create more space on my computer, as well as use it to update to windows 11 but all the articles suggest fixes that won't work.For the update, they all say I should have a Fix Issues button which will then...
  5. Using external hard drive to extend c drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using external hard drive to extend c drive: Hello,I've been searching for how to use my external hard drive to create more space on my computer, as well as use it to update to windows 11 but all the articles suggest fixes that won't work.For the update, they all say I should have a Fix Issues button which will then...
  6. Using external hard drive to extend c drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Setting Up External Hard Drive as a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting Up External Hard Drive as a Flash Drive: Someone gave me an old hard disk. I have an external hard drive enclosure. I put them together and plugged the external drive into my laptop. From Windows Explorer I can see the old hard disk. It has two partitions. F: and G:Recovery. The data is on the F: drive....
  8. USB Flash Drive vs Portable External Hard drive for everyday use?

USB Flash Drive vs Portable External Hard drive for everyday use?: Hello everyone! Good day to you! For my laptop, I am stuck on deciding whether I should use a 128gb or 256gb flash drive or a 1tb portable external drive for my every day use like storing my software, documents etc. and use it for when I am out and about as well. What do you...
  9. Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not

Flash drives recognized but external hard drives are not: My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops &...
  10. Problem with Flash Drives and My External Hard Drive

Problem with Flash Drives and My External Hard Drive: I apologize if this is not in the right forum, but I am having a problem with using flash drives and my external hard drive. While saving files (like doing a back up) my computer which is an HP Notebook, the system will just drop the drive and then will find it again, and...