Windows 10: Using a Greek Keyboard - cannot put in the 'tonos' over a letter!

Discus and support Using a Greek Keyboard - cannot put in the 'tonos' over a letter! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello On my laptop I have an extra language - Greek - and I can toggle between ENG and EL on the taskbar. So far so good. On my laptop to get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moggie, Feb 14, 2019.

1. moggie Win User

Using a Greek Keyboard - cannot put in the 'tonos' over a letter!

Hello

On my laptop I have an extra language - Greek - and I can toggle between ENG and EL on the taskbar. So far so good. On my laptop to get the 'tonos' over the correct letter I have to click ; on the keyboard before typing the letter and the word is then correct. However...……………..

On my Windows10 tablet I have the same setup in the taskbar but the keyboard is of course 'virtual' and I can only seem to type in Greek without a 'tonos' which means the Greek is incorrect all the time! I have tried clicking on the ; in this keyboard but of course ; in Greek writing is a question mark!

Am I missing something - please help.

Thank you

:)

moggie, Feb 14, 2019

2. When you plan to update the touch keyboard to type greek accented letters?

Hi George,

This issue that started after the last Windows 10 update might be caused by software incompatibility. For us to better assist you, we would like to ask the following:

• How are you accessing the Greek accented letters on touch keyboard before?
    • Are there any error messages displayed when trying to access the Greek accented letters?
    • If possible, can you give us an example screenshot of the Greek accented letters?

Meanwhile, we need to make sure that the Greek keyboard is added on the language settings. To check if the Greek keyboard is added, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Time & Language from the list.
    • Select Region & language in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Languages, make sure that the Greek keyboard is added.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Feb 14, 2019
  3. Touchscreen keyboard does not type Greek accented letters

I performed a clean boot on my Lenovo MIIX 320 touch-screen tablet/notebook and tried to type all the accented Greek letters in Notepad: as I expected, the problem persists! The issue is clearly the Greek keyboard
    application - please fix it. As I have already mentioned, the only way to type properly in Greek, is by using the full desktop keyboard mode! If you load the Greek keyboard and try to type the accented letters
    you'll identify the problem by yourselves!

ThemisDassopoulos, Feb 14, 2019
  4. GeorgeG1 Win User

When you plan to update the touch keyboard to type greek accented letters?

How are you accessing the Greek accented letters on touch keyboard before?

- With the touch keyboard on my Samsung Galaxy Tabpro S windows 10 tablet. Having Greek keyboard selected and pressing for example the η key I had η written on page text. Keeeping pressing the same key I had two graphic choices η and ή (eta accented); pressing
    the ή (accented) I had the ή on text.

This procedure for the writing greek accented letters is the same on all Android and IOS tablets and phones. (And Windows tablets until the last winsows 10 December Update...}

After the last Windows update I 'm still having the graphical choice between η and ή but on the text is written always η.

Are there any error messages displayed when trying to access the Greek accented letters?

- No, no errors displayed.

If possible, can you give us an example screenshot of the Greek accented letters?

- ά ή ί ό ύ Ϋ Ϊ έ and many more.

I have naturally added the greek Kaybord from the settings.

This problem is VERY serious for Greeks with Windows Tablets and I hope for a quick fix from yours excellent Software Engineers.

Thank you for using your time

GeorgeG1, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Using a Greek Keyboard - cannot put in the 'tonos' over a letter! - Similar Threads - Using Greek Keyboard

2. putting a dot over a letter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    putting a dot over a letter: Sir How to insert a dot over a letter, say V, in a word document. Some one suggested to go to "find" in a word, but I failed to find it. Control+F is taking to navigation. Please teach me as a teacher to a novice. I dont understand hifi technical words. Please walk me...
  3. putting a dot over a letter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    putting a dot over a letter: Sir How to insert a dot over a letter, say V, in a word document. Some one suggested to go to "find" in a word, but I failed to find it. Control+F is taking to navigation. Please teach me as a teacher to a novice. I dont understand hifi technical words. Please walk me...
  4. Polytonic Greek keyboard - suggestion for improvement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Polytonic Greek keyboard - suggestion for improvement: I suggest MS add lunate sigma U+03f2 to the Polytonic Greek keyboard. It has an earlier history at least 4thC BCE than the forms of sigma final and other that MS currently includes earliest 1stC CE, but probably only really from 8thC CE. Lunate sigma is less common than other...
  5. Polytonic Greek keyboard - suggestion for improvement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Polytonic Greek keyboard - suggestion for improvement: I suggest MS add lunate sigma U+03f2 to the Polytonic Greek keyboard. It has an earlier history at least 4thC BCE than the forms of sigma final and other that MS currently includes earliest 1stC CE, but probably only really from 8thC CE. Lunate sigma is less common than other...
  6. Greek polytonic keyboard

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Greek polytonic keyboard: There is currently no Greek polytonic keyboard available on Windows, for use in typing ancient Greek, only non-polytonic modern Greek. I see this question was asked in 2017, but it still is not available. Are there no plans to add it?...
  7. Accent when using a Greek keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Accent when using a Greek keyboard: I want to find the keystrokes to add accents when I am using the Greek keyboard. It is just one accent in Greek. I can get the accent on the ENG keyboard using ctrl + ' but it does not work when I shift to the Greek keyboard...
  8. Cannot remove Greek keyboard layout from Windows 10 1903

Cannot remove Greek keyboard layout from Windows 10 1903: This problem has been there since half a yeas ago (it was 1803 on my laptop then). I've tried all the method you can find by searching "remove keyboard from windows 10" on Google. It may disappear for a period of time, and it sometimes comes out again! And There is always...
  9. Greek Universal (Old Greek) keyboard not available?

Greek Universal (Old Greek) keyboard not available?: Hi everyone, For a customer I need to install a Greek Universal keyboard, but it isn't listed when I download the greek keyboard. Is there another way to install this Universal greek keyboard? Now I have only Greek 220, 319 and polytoon. The customer (greek teacher) said...
  10. Downloaded Greek office program so could use Greek keyboard.

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloaded Greek office program so could use Greek keyboard.: Now it appears that Greek has taken over just about everything--all instructions in Greek. I am unable to make any changes since my Greek is at very basic level. How can I limit Greek on computer to just the keyboard? I can click on Αγγλικα and get roman letters, but just...