Windows 10: Using a hex editor to find remnants of an oferwritten file?

Discus and support Using a hex editor to find remnants of an oferwritten file? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had windows crash recently and a .rtf file that I was working on and which was saved on my HDD got mangled. All the contents of it were replaced with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dimitri, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Dimitri Win User

Using a hex editor to find remnants of an oferwritten file?

I had windows crash recently and a .rtf file that I was working on and which was saved on my HDD got mangled. All the contents of it were replaced with empty spaces (like what you get when you press tab). I'm desperate to recover the file and someone suggested I might use a hex editor to look for the contents of the file on the drive.

I've never used a hex editor and don't even really know what one is exactly, so I'm wondering:
    1) is this something that could work
    2) how do I do this?

Dimitri, Sep 13, 2019
  2. Terrypin Win User

Hex editor recommendation?

Has anyone here, using any hex editor, successfully made a text replacement longer than the original and not had it rejected as 'corrupt or invalid by the original application please?

I've made several attempts with various editors over many hours today and failed. So I'm hoping to find a mutually accessible app to step through the procedure (inserting extra bytes, etc, etc).

As per my opening post, the app I'm focusing on is called MX Pro and an example binary MEX file is viewable and downloadable here:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20%28ph%29.mex

For my test, I'm simply trying to change the string PHOTOS to PHOTOS2.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Sep 13, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User

Oh - the joys of binaary/assembler coding Using a hex editor to find remnants of an oferwritten file? :).

It would be a very clever hex editor that can make a text string longer than original, as it would mean all subsequent binary code has moved out n bytes (n being additional length of text editor).

It would depend if the binary code was using relative or absolute addresses.

Think of it like having a formula in Excel where cell B1 point to A1 e.g. B1: =A1.
    If you moved cell B1 to C1, it would now read C1:=B1

On other hand if B1 read B1:=$A$1
    then if you move B1 to C1, C1 would read C1:=$A$1

How many time have you moved stuff in excel and it fell over because you used a relative reference rather than absolute (or an absolutee reference rather than a relative one).

So a binary program would almost certainly fall over if it had absolute addresses built into the binary code, and all code after the text portion was moved out n bytes.

So the hex editor would have to have the additional ability to reconcile all absolute addresses if the code position moved which would be a major undertaking i.e. the editor would be a binary re-compiler as well.

This will not happen if the text is shortened, as the editor will simply fill the excess space with blanks, keeping the position of the rest of the code unaltered.

cereberus, Sep 13, 2019
  4. Terrypin Win User

I emailed the developers of MX Pro and had a prompt and thorough reply. As I expected, they are unable to provide detailed table structure documentation for their MEX files. And there are other complications (packing) which would make it impossible in practice. It seems that similar issues arise in mots proprietary binary files.

So I'll drop my pursuit of a no-brainer global hex edit. Thanks for hex editor recommendations, most of which are now installed.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Sep 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Using a hex editor to find remnants of an oferwritten file? - Similar Threads - Using hex editor

2. Compile C to HEX

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compile C to HEX: Hi, I program in Oshonsoft BASIC, and have some C CODE that may work if I can get the HEX from it. How can I compile it please? Camerart.
  3. I can't find the DoSvc file in registry editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't find the DoSvc file in registry editor: I noticed my delivery optimization not working properly so I went in to registry editor to see that DoSvc is not there at all it is in the system32 files however I don't know why this happened....
  4. I can't find the DoSvc file in registry editor

I can't find the DoSvc file in registry editor: I noticed my delivery optimization not working properly so I went in to registry editor to see that DoSvc is not there at all it is in the system32 files however I don't know why this happened....
  5. Remnant DLL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remnant DLL: We uninstalled an HP printer, and tossed it. Its icon remained on desktop and in the printers list of devices. A knowledgeable person went through the registry and deleted files with the printer name included. Now on start up we still get a dialog box stating that the...
  6. Photos App. Video Editor cannot find files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos App. Video Editor cannot find files: I've been using the Photo Apps Video Editor to create a travel movie. The project has taken me months of work. I updated windows and now I open my project and almost every single video on the timeline says "cannot find file". The original files were never moved and are still...
  7. Files deleted from desktop leave remnants.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files deleted from desktop leave remnants.: After the update to Windows 10 2004 - whenever I delete a file from the desktop - it comes back. Not as the original file, but as some token off the file. Sometimes the file comes back as soon and the screen sleeps, sometimes the next day. There appears to be some process...
  8. Video Editor - File is in Use

Video Editor - File is in Use: I am trying to export a 30 second long video and have continuously gotten this message: [ATTACH] No matter what I try, I cannot seem to find a solution to this. Help?...
  9. Removal of Installation File Remnants after Uninstall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removal of Installation File Remnants after Uninstall: After noticing certain issues with a program after I downloaded and installed it (CyberLink Media Suite 15 Ultra), I decided to uninstall the program and re-install it from the back-up disk. But when I uninstalled the program, the installation folder remained in the Program...
  10. Hex editor recommendation?

Hex editor recommendation?: I'm not a techie or programmer but occasionally need to edit binary files. For example, my app Macro Express Pro creates its macro files in proprietary (MXE) format. If I make changes to my Win 10 PC file/folder organisation then scores or even hundreds of macros have to be...