Windows 10: Using a memory card in half height slot causes crash

Discus and support Using a memory card in half height slot causes crash in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After installing 1903 on my Lenovo windows 10 pro laptop, inserting a micro sd card with adapter or booting up same in my half height memory card slot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JimB_372, Jun 6, 2019.

1. JimB_372 Win User

Using a memory card in half height slot causes crash

After installing 1903 on my Lenovo windows 10 pro laptop, inserting a micro sd card with adapter or booting up same in my half height memory card slot causes a continual crash and reboot. The sd cards do not cause this when used with the 2 usb plug in adapter ports. When installing 1903 I did have a card in the slot and received an error message telling me to remove the card. I did that and then the installation proceeded to completion. I reverted back to 1803, 1809 never would install, and the problem went away. I checked the USB drivers with 1903 and 1803 and they were all updated. When I do a device eject to remove the card it is referred to as an SDXC SCSI disk device. I reinstalled 1903 and the crash issue returned. I like using this slot with a half height micro usb card for extra storage. Am I stuck with 1803 or might there be a driver update or rollback that would solve this issue.

:)

JimB_372, Jun 6, 2019

2. 6300 Where is memory card slot?

Ok just to clarify.

The battery cover DOES need to be removed to access the memory card slot.

And the USB cap is annoying, took half my nail off trying to get that out once.

adamf---01, Jun 6, 2019
  3. BSOD/crash playing games, memory error on shutdown

I've had a few more BSODs, however when I went to create the usual dm log, I noticed it say there were no minidumps. My computer did recently update to Fall Creators, and I don't have the 'Disable automatic deletion of memory dumps when disk space is low' ticked, but the drive isn't even half full.

Anyways, I'm going to try some more troubleshooting steps and wanted to run them by the thread before actually doing them:
    - Re-seat graphics card and memory. Already done today, will be doing a test (aka, normal nightly gaming) to see if it crashes.
    - Move a crash-prone game to third hard drive and unplug current
    - Swap out my 1080 for my old 750TI I still have lying around
    - Buy a single 16GB DDR4 RAM stick and use that in a different slot. Unfortunately my cooler covers one of the memory slots, so I can have a max of 3 sticks. If nothing else, I'm upgrading to 32GB of RAM =P Probably last test b/c it involves spending money
    - Reinstall Windows

Anyone have a suggested order I should attempt these in? I'm thinking next step is probably either install on third drive and unplug second, or swap graphics cards

Void Concept, Jun 6, 2019
  4. Zedicus Win User

half height question

does anyone make a rear exhaust half height pci slot fan?

Zedicus, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Using a memory card in half height slot causes crash - Similar Threads - Using memory card

2. Memory slots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory slots: I cannot see memory slot in my Windows 7 laptop. I wanted to know if it can be upgraded from 2GB to 4GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-slots/8a356983-bb5e-46b5-bbee-ecc6812dcdd1
  3. Memory slots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Memory slots: I cannot see memory slot in my Windows 7 laptop. I wanted to know if it can be upgraded from 2GB to 4GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-slots/8a356983-bb5e-46b5-bbee-ecc6812dcdd1
  4. Suggestions for half-height PCIe combo card for older laptop?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Suggestions for half-height PCIe combo card for older laptop?: Hi all...was trying to get an older Win7-era laptop's wifi card working. It's an older Atheros card with wifi and Bluetooth but no matter what I try or what drivers I've tried. I can't get THE BLUETOOTH part (the wifi works fine) to work under Win10. She needs BT for her...
  5. Memory problem causing crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Memory problem causing crash: Hi, My computer keeps crashing randomly. I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic and it immediately shows hardware problem detected. Then I ran the Driver Verifier, which stimulates several blue-screen crashes. Here I uploaded the minidump file, MSinfo32 file, and my...
  6. Half height pcie X1 4 X SATA card -- are these things any good

Half height pcie X1 4 X SATA card -- are these things any good: Hi folks Anybody used these things for increasing SSD / HDD storage @CountMike --any ideas --you seem to be quite good with all sorts of bits of hardware !!!! I've got a spare half height pcie X1 slot available and a load of old SSD's so I thought of using a card like this...
  7. Half of memory being used on nothing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Half of memory being used on nothing.: I'm not sure when this started, but recently I have noticed that even with no programs open(other than task manager itself), half of my available ram(7.8GB) is being used(5.9GB) by nothing. All the services definetely don't add up to 6GB. Does anyone have an idea of what...
  8. Sd Card Slot

Sd Card Slot: Hi, I have an issue with my card reader it worked fine yesterday, but now when I insert my sd card into the reader on my laptop it does not make a sound or anything. I have a new Dell XPS 15 9570, any help would be much appreciated as I am at a loss. The card works fine if I...
  9. sd card slot

sd card slot: reinstalled 10 after your update wiped my whole system out. Now i have no sd slots cant find drives another dayswork lost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-slot/9af25310-8acc-4762-ae10-457cc2f406e3
  10. use memory card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    use memory card: I would like to transfer items to memory card. For some reason the card won't take it. I'm getting an error stating I can't update my window because of no space....