Windows 10: Using a Microsoft account for temporary Windows activation?

Discus and support Using a Microsoft account for temporary Windows activation? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My friend has a new build and moved over his SSDs from his old build expecting that W10 would activate. After trying to activate and calling Microsoft,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/youresuchadorkvic, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Using a Microsoft account for temporary Windows activation?

My friend has a new build and moved over his SSDs from his old build expecting that W10 would activate. After trying to activate and calling Microsoft, they say it won't activate using that key anymore (we think it was an OEM Windows 8 key that got upgraded to 10 and couldn't be transferred anymore). I likely have a lot of Windows 10 keys associated with my account and want to know, can I activate his build with my login on a secondary account, then delete it after a few days? I figure as long as I don't delete the device from my Microsoft account online, it should stay active, right?

submitted by /u/youresuchadorkvic
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/youresuchadorkvic, Feb 23, 2021
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Using a Microsoft account for temporary Windows activation? :(

Zakin, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Activation through Microsoft Account Fails

Just for the record, what account you log in with has no effect on activation. The "Linked to your Microsoft account" is just an optional extra. If you switch to a local account it will just say "activated with a digital license". Switch to a Microsoft account and it will say "activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". You could do a clean install using an account you have never used before and it will still activate. As long as there is a digital license for that device on the activation server matching the installed edition, it will activate. The account used has no bearing on that.

And deleting / removing a device from the list won't affect activation. You just won't see it listed. Reinstall Windows 10 again latter on, on that device and it will be back in the list. That list is just another optional extra.

alphanumeric, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Using a Microsoft account for temporary Windows activation?

How to change temporary account to permanent account in Windows 10.

Hello Joan,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• What do you mean by “temporary profile”?

• Are you logged into a temporary user profile?

If you are logged in into a temporary profile, I suggest you to reboot the PC and check if the issue is resolved. If the issue persists, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Enable built-in administrator account.

• Open Elevated command prompt by entering
      Safe mode with Command prompt. To go to safe mode, use the power button on the sign-in screen and press
      Shift + Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu. Click
      Troubleshoot> Advanced options> Startup settings.
      You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode with Command prompt.

• Type the following command: net user administrator /active:yes

• Login into the built in administrator user profile and create a new user profile with administrator privileges.

• Delete the corrupted user account from the built in administrator.

• Then lock your screen by pressing Windows key + L, and sign-in at the
      Administrator account.

• Check if the issue persist and you can disable built in administrator account by typing the command:
      net user administrator /active:no
      in the Command prompt (Admin).

Step 2: To create a new user account
    follow the steps below:

• Open Elevated command prompt by right clicking on the
      Start icon and select Command prompt (Admin).

• Type net user NewAccount password /add
      and click Enter.

• Type net localgroup Administrators NewAccount /add and click
      Enter.

• Log off from the system and login to the new user account.

You can also refer to the Set up accounts on
    Windows 10.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Using a Microsoft account for temporary Windows activation?

1. Using a Microsoft account for temporary Windows activation? - Similar Threads - Using Microsoft account

2. Can't log in into Microsoft account from Windows, using temporary profile instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't log in into Microsoft account from Windows, using temporary profile instead: I tried today logging in into my regular account from Windows, and instead of logging me in - it logs me in into a temporary account and shows the following error: "We can't sign in to your account".I tried the following instructions described in the appropriate support page...
  3. Can't log in into Microsoft account from Windows, using temporary profile instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't log in into Microsoft account from Windows, using temporary profile instead: I tried today logging in into my regular account from Windows, and instead of logging me in - it logs me in into a temporary account and shows the following error: "We can't sign in to your account".I tried the following instructions described in the appropriate support page...
  4. Can't log in into Microsoft account from Windows, using temporary profile instead

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Temporary account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Temporary account: So I have logged into the computer and then it says it has logged me into a temporary account and I watched YouTube videos yet they didn't work and then I saw that I had to go into registry so I just did it so I signed in and out yet I always got the same windows notification...
  6. Used wrong Microsoft account for activation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Used wrong Microsoft account for activation: Hi so I recently bought windows 10 home education for personal use on a new home computer. I made the mistake of activating the product key with my school email. My school email has a specific microsoft profile for students that can't be modified and also certain...
  7. temporary account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    temporary account: I was logged into a temporary account quite a while ago and I was able to get out of it but I was presently logged back in so I followed all of the steps I was given and got out of it again and this time I made sure that everything was updated google, windows etc. but I've...
  8. Windows 10 not activating using Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 not activating using Microsoft Account: Hey guys, just built a PC and installed Windows 10 ver 2004. Signed in with my ms account but it says it couldn't activate because my editions are different to another PC that I have.. My editions on both PCs are Win 10 Home.. why can't I activate Windows on the new PC? Any...
  9. temporary account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    temporary account: My computer has updated and it has put me in a temporary account even though I signed into my account when I turned my pc on. Please can you help me sign out of the temporary account and back into my old one without me having to lose any documents or photos....
  10. Temporary Activation of windows 10 Pro on a Windows 10 Home laptop with Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Temporary Activation of windows 10 Pro on a Windows 10 Home laptop with Microsoft account.: I have a question about this scenario where I got a laptop on a temporary basis with Windows 10 Home preinstalled from the manufacturer. I Upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro with generic key and then activated it with my account. After 6 months I returned the laptop to its owner....