Windows 10: Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot

Discus and support Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Here is something I recently found out. I have tired this and it works. You can use a PCIe x1 card, or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Antilope, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Antilope Win User

Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot

Here is something I recently found out. I have tired this and it works.

You can use a PCIe x1 card, or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work fine. So if you think you are short of PCI-e slots, you may not be. A shorter PCIe card works fine in a longer slot.

On PCIe X1, X4 and X16 slots, the first 18 pins are all wired the same, so as long as the PCI-Express card fits in the PCI-Express slot, it should work.

This is not the case for the legacy PCI (32-bit, non-express) slots, that are not PCI-Express. Those are not compatable with PCIe cards.

Here is the PCI-Express page on Wikipedia showing pinouts, etc.
    PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube Video showing PCIe X1 card in a PCIe X16 slot.
    x1, x4 pci Cards Fit Into x16 pci-e Slot - YouTube

Here are links to discussions on this subject at Tom's Hardware.

"Can I install a PCI-e x1 Wireless network card in a PCI-e x16 slot?"

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-x16-slot.html

pci-e x1 card into pci-e x16 slot? - Graphics Cards

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-x16-slot.html

:)

Antilope, Sep 5, 2015

2. Windows 10 - USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller Code 10

Moving the USB card fixed it! I just went through the same problem with a Windows 10 system that had been running beautifully for 6 months or more. Yesterday, I installed a SIIG USB 3.0 card
    (PCIe x1) and got the same USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller cannot start (code 10) error message. I tried all the remedies outlined on this thread with no success, including downloading the SIIG Windows 8.1 driver and trying to get that to work--it is a
    Renesas chipset driver. SIIG website says Windows 10 native driver is all that is required. Then after working to resolve the problem for a couple of hours, it hit me that my sound had stopped working. I checked Device Manager, and it showed everything was
    fine with the sound card. I thought maybe I had accidentally disconnected something inside, so I opened it up and found everything in perfect order. Then it occurred to me that maybe using a PCIe slot adjacent to the sound card PCIe slot had created a conflict.
    So, I moved the USB 3 card to a different PCIe slot, rebooted, and the sounds had come back, and the Windows 10 USB driver was automatically installed and working perfectly. So,
    I recommend trying a different PCIe slot that is not adjacent to any other slot in use.
    My mobo specs do say that the PCIe x16 slot used for the video card and the adjacent PCIe x1 slot cannot be used simultaneously, but there is no mention of a problem with using adjacent PCIe x1 slots at the same time. Anyway, my problem is now
    solved.

DerraldJohnson, Sep 5, 2015
  3. takochako Win User
    USB 3.0 expansion card not working.

Yes. I have tried 2 different PCIe x1 slots.

takochako, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot

1. Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot - Similar Threads - Using PCIe card

2. IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 45

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 45: Need help! My NVIDIA RTX 3060 is not detected in the device manager because of IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 45. My device is an MSI GF75 Thin 10UEK, OS Windows 11 home.Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!...
  3. IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 45

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 45: Need help! My NVIDIA RTX 3060 is not detected in the device manager because of IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 45. My device is an MSI GF75 Thin 10UEK, OS Windows 11 home.Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!...
  4. PCIe x16 slot

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    PCIe x16 slot: Hi, There's a graphic card that I want to purchase, but my system is not very advanced and I'm not sure that the motherboard has the required slot for it. The graphic card requires a PCIe x16 slot. I attached a photo of the lower section of the motherboard, could someone...
  5. IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 10: Need help, my NVIDIA gtx 1650 is not detected in device manager because of IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 10. My device is HP Pavillion gaming Dk-0042tx, OS windows 10 home. Thank You...
  6. IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 10

IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 10: Need help, my NVIDIA gtx 1650 is not detected in device manager because of IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 10. My device is HP Pavillion gaming Dk-0042tx, OS windows 10 home. Thank You...
  7. IntelR Pcie controller x16-1901 code 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Intel R PCIe x16 - 1901 keeps malfunctioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel R PCIe x16 - 1901 keeps malfunctioning: Hello. This happened to me while i was in a Dota 2 match. The game crashed - leading to pc crash. Since then, i was facing DXGKRNL Fatal error and DPC-Warchdog-Violation. 1- I did system reset kept files2- I did window again deleted everything3- I downgraded to windows 104- i...
  9. Intel R PCIe x16 - 1901 keeps malfunctioning

Intel R PCIe x16 - 1901 keeps malfunctioning: Hello. This happened to me while i was in a Dota 2 match. The game crashed - leading to pc crash. Since then, i was facing DXGKRNL Fatal error and DPC-Warchdog-Violation. 1- I did system reset kept files2- I did window again deleted everything3- I downgraded to windows 104- i...
  10. Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable a pcie slot or remove a graphics card via windows 10: Hi, Windows 10 is not giving me the option to put my computer to sleep. The issue is related to my graphics cards. I know this because when I run powercfg -a in command prompt, it says standby/sleep states are disabled because of graphics. More info: I have a desktop...