Windows 10: Using a SATA III 2.5" HDD for a clone image for recovery

Discus and support Using a SATA III 2.5" HDD for a clone image for recovery in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My MSI GT80 SLI laptop takes 4 disks, 3 are in the 2280 format and 1 is in the 2.5" format. I converted all to SSD, the 2.5" included but I had a 1TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dictum, Oct 15, 2019.

1. dictum Win User

Using a SATA III 2.5" HDD for a clone image for recovery

My MSI GT80 SLI laptop takes 4 disks, 3 are in the 2280 format and 1 is in the 2.5" format.

I converted all to SSD, the 2.5" included but I had a 1TB HDD left over and I decided to use that for a backup solution. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the primary Windows 10-1903 to this 1TB HDD and then removed it from the laptop, putting back the Samsung 850 that replaced the HDD.

so if my primary drive went down, I could boot into Windows install media, install this HDD and copy the partitions or the entire disk onto the primary disk, or the backup disk. I would lose some files and get rolled back a few weeks. Or even months depending on when the image was made. I could use Macrium reflect or another software do this reverse clone in a case of a disaster recovery.

I am thinking about cloning the OS onto the HDD once per quarter. Install it, run the clone program such as Reflect and then remove it.

1TB HDDs are cheap, mine is not worth anything, $20 at most. To do it correctly, I would have to take it off site.

:)

dictum, Oct 15, 2019
  2. OOLuigiOo Win User

Failing HDD and Cloning

You seem intend on this install clean install windows when I have said windows does not run on that drive and TeraCopy doesn't even budge anymore.
    for moving files from that drive. Then there are those that have suggested imaging and 1 or 2 that talked about cloning software.

I now have 3 HDDs left...

So nothing is copying, no cloning and imaging, now what?

OOLuigiOo, Oct 15, 2019
  3. Vjblr Win User
    Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

Hello,

I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot
    option and also UEFI option and non worked. Please note I didn't create rescue media before cloning, but have the old HDD with all the files intact. Can anyone pls help me resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 17" 5720

BIOS Version: A19 Dell

Vjblr, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Using a SATA III 2.5" HDD for a clone image for recovery

SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

I have a SATA internal HDD that supposed to be my main operational disk but I bought a "lay flat docking station" for Another SATA internal HDD that I cloned from my internal drive on my tower. But now I look at the properties on both drives and they both
    say they are online. Is it bad to have them working that way because I don't know what drive is working at any given time? I'm assuming I need to go into the BIOS and set it to which drive I want?

deerpark243, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

Using a SATA III 2.5" HDD for a clone image for recovery

1. Using a SATA III 2.5" HDD for a clone image for recovery - Similar Threads - Using SATA III

2. Why not windows reed a unit USB SSD M.2 Sata III

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why not windows reed a unit USB SSD M.2 Sata III: Why not windows reed a unit USB SSD M.2 Sata III https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-not-windows-reed-a-unit-usb-ssd-m2-sata-iii/9a208d4a-dfb4-4f7e-9431-5a224408c519
  3. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  5. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. cloning hdd to NVMe m.2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cloning hdd to NVMe m.2: if i clone my hdd to a nvme m.2 using something like macrium will windows use the right driver for nvme on boot or would i need to reinstall to get correct drivers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cloning-hdd-to-nvme-m2/a8055614-e138-453d-a75f-15a6d457735e
  7. I need help finding cabling to connect two SSD SATA III for cloning

I need help finding cabling to connect two SSD SATA III for cloning: Hi everyone, I am trying to find out the cabling to connect two SATA III drives together so I can clone the SDD in my new Win 10 desktop SDD to the replacement SDD i bought to install in my old win 7 machine so I have a backup PC ready to go. I am connecting SATA III to...
  8. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD: Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and...
  9. SATA III SSD shown as SATA II

SATA III SSD shown as SATA II: Hi everyone.*Nerd I have just noticed that my Intel 520 SSD Drive is showing as SATA II drive. Now, I am aware that it is connected to a SATA2_0 port controlled by native Intel SATA II controller on my mobo and current speed should be 3gb/s. Why does it say though that the...
  10. Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo

Sata III PCI cards for computer with SATA II ports on mobo: I have a DIY box with an Asus P5K-E mobo that provides SATA II ports. I upgraded to a pair of Samsung 850 EVO ssds and naturally got a great speed boost. Now I am getting greedy and thinking about doubling my gains with a SATA III controller card. I have been reading online...