Windows 10: Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you?

Discus and support Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I use a Dell laptop and at home I have an old Dell monitor. I want to connect the Dell monitor as a second display via the HDMI port using a HDMI to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dave_55555, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you?

I use a Dell laptop and at home I have an old Dell monitor. I want to connect the Dell monitor as a second display via the HDMI port using a HDMI to VGA adapter. The monitor works fine as a duplicate display but now I want to use them as an extended display but the laptop doesn't detect the dell monitor. As my laptop is supplied by my employer I'm limited in what settings I can change. Reading around I suspect I won't be able to get this to work due to my configuration and the only way to resolve this is to buy a HDMI monitor. Is that correct?

:)

Dave_55555, Aug 1, 2022

2. Hdmi to VGA adapter & connection to external monitor

I have a Windows 10 hp laptop and a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter. I usually plug my laptop to an HD TV but am having to do this for a while.

I understand this can be tricky, as hdmi to VGA is digital to analog conversion. I got it working yesterday after plenty of fight, not in display options but windows key + p and selected extend. When done working I closed my laptop lid. Since then it has not
    worked. Can any you help?

I'll tell you what I've done and what it's doing. Now, Windows does indeed think it's connected to an external monitor. Everything about windows says so - there's two icons in display. I can move things to other monitor. But, the monitor doesn't agree. It's
    blinking in standby.

If I unplug VGA from monitor, it realizes it. If I unplug adapter from Windows, it realizes it. But there's still a gap and I can't find the answer.

I've restarted, shut down, combinations of those with plugging in adapter before / after, I've deleted generic display from device manager, tried a different monitor, and other various "windows nudges" I call em. Went to manufacturer's site, not any help there.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

benjaminblue, Aug 1, 2022
  3. rr719 Win User
    VGA to HDMI adapter not working in Windows 10 - Vention adapter - Linux works

The adapter converts an aging HP laptop secondary display (vga) to HDMI so I do not have to switch my monitor back and forth. All other displays are HDMI. I picked the Vention adapter since it had the Amazon's Choice for "vga to hdmi" tag on it. It runs perfectly with Mint 20.2 out of the box. I assumed Windows would work but just re-booted into Windows 10. The secondary display shows up blank - it does flash a little HDMI pop-up from the monitor detecting mode change then shuts down as if no signal.

Windows 10 is up to date with all patches.

Secondary display does not show up in Device Manager.

Tried "Multiple Displays" setup and performed identify - no display on that channel. Main display shows "1|2". Detect does not find secondary display.

Removed HDMI cable from display - waited 10 seconds and plugged HDMI back in and it did not help - this usually works when HDMI EDID detection hangs.

Reboot does not help.

All this works fine with no adapter, just VGA cable and manually changing input on secondary monitor.

Anyway, my new dual monitor KVM switch works perfectly but this problem kinda defeats the KVM purpose. I was only switching KB+Mouse and using different monitor ports for different machines.

As I said before, this all (including vga-to-hdmi adapter) works perfectly on Mint 20.2 - a Ubuntu 20.2 derivative that "Just Works".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions to get the VGA-to_HDMI adapter work with Windows 10.

Any ideas?

rr719, Aug 1, 2022
  4. Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you?

Lumia Display Dock and HDMI to VGA adapter

just to understand some constraints:

• HDMI is electrically compatible with DVI
    • DP outputs from most PCs have an HDMI compatibility mode that allows for:
      • DP-to-HDMI passive adapters [passive means it just uses wiring (no ICs) between the connectors]
      • DP-to-DVI passive adapters
    • In contrast, the USB Type-C output on the Lumia 950XL/950 phone and the DP output on the Display Dock do not have HDMI compatibility mode. To drive HDMI, DVI (or VGA), they require active adapters incorporating bridge ICs. The tipoff is usually that such
      an adapter costs $20-$40 instead of ~$10 for a passive adapter. There’s no good way to tell active versus passive other than by part # and spec.

Jesse Vaught, Aug 1, 2022
Thema:

Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you?

1. Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you? - Similar Threads - Using second monitor

2. VGA to hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VGA to hdmi adapter: just purchased a computer with Windows 11. I want to connect a monitor with a VGA male connection. I bought a n Insignia vga to hdmi adapter and connected it through HDMI. However, the monitor has a floating bubble that says "no vga cable”. What’s going on? How do I make this...
  3. VGA to hdmi adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VGA to hdmi adapter: just purchased a computer with Windows 11. I want to connect a monitor with a VGA male connection. I bought a n Insignia vga to hdmi adapter and connected it through HDMI. However, the monitor has a floating bubble that says "no vga cable”. What’s going on? How do I make this...
  4. Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you?: I use a Dell laptop and at home I have an old Dell monitor. I want to connect the Dell monitor as a second display via the HDMI port using a HDMI to VGA adapter. The monitor works fine as a duplicate display but now I want to use them as an extended display but the laptop...
  5. Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor: Hi there, I have followed all manner of previous tutorials to trick windows into thinking I have a physical hdmi attached, but the previous workarounds that used the "try connecting to VGA anyway" function are no longer available on Windows 10. This is incredibly frustrating,...
  6. Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chromecast to Extend Display / Second Monitor: Hi there, I have followed all manner of previous tutorials to trick windows into thinking I have a physical hdmi attached, but the previous workarounds that used the "try connecting to VGA anyway" function are no longer available on Windows 10. This is incredibly frustrating,...
  7. HDMI to VGA Adapter in windows 10 is working, but can't duplicate and extend.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI to VGA Adapter in windows 10 is working, but can't duplicate and extend.: What is happening right here? I have a dual monitor setup(one old monitor, and another new laptop). I can't extend the displays, and neither I can duplicate the displays. All I can do, is to watch in either of the screen. i.e either in my new laptop's screen or in my...
  8. HDMI to VGA adapter

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI to VGA adapter: I use the HDMI to VGA adapter to connect one of the old monitor as second monitor on my system. It works great. But, twice now, the adapter seemed to stop working after I unplug the monitor from the adapter when it is still hot. Does it make sense that the adapter would burn...
  9. Extend Display to second and third monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extend Display to second and third monitors: Hi, I have always been able to extend my display but now it seems I cannot. Have tried all the usual, swapping a new screen, trying to connect with new cable, using a different location none of which works. Other people can plug into my screens and extend their displays but...
  10. Cannot extend display to second monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Cannot extend display to second monitor: I am using windows 10 pro on my Powerspec desktop PC. I have one HP monitor and one AOC monitor. I had three monitors (one HP and 2 AOC monitors) working fine using extended display. After removing one monitor (now have 2), the extended display does not work any more. I can...