Windows 10: Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.

Discus and support Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I know you can install windows through a Flash Drive. I wanted to know if there was anyway to use a extra SSD as a Multiple Partition "Containing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Southernhosp, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.

So I know you can install windows through a Flash Drive. I wanted to know if there was anyway to use a extra SSD as a Multiple Partition "Containing Different Windows and standard drivers for that OS" as a bootable installer.

Mainly if I'm building a customers computer they have 7 and only want 7 but do not have disk. I build the system Select boot from SSD and select 7 then install on system and use there Serial to reactivate.

I'm also using a 2.5 to 3.0 USB as primary connection.

:)

Southernhosp, Jul 6, 2016

2. Can a USB flash drive be formatted as a hard drive disk so its contents will be backed up with windows back up?

Thank you for responding. I am not using the flash drive for backup. I am using Windows 10 backup and want to include the files I have on my micro USB drive. I set up my libraries to save pictures and documents to save them to my USB flash drive which
    windows named D: USB drive. I back up to a portable USB hard drive. I set up backup to include the D: drive but when backup completes it says it did not back up D: because it is an invalid drive. Thank you.

roadside9105, Jul 6, 2016
  3. Marduke Win User
    Nov Windows 10 upgrade wont install

I have a home make built computer that I built myself. My main HD is a SSD 500 gig drive. I installed Windows 10 flawlessly, but when I try to install the update from November it will not install. After hitting Fix issue 2 times, it comes up with Windows
    10 can't be installed using a USB flash drive. Obviously I am not doing a USB flash drive, I know the SSD is considered a flash drive in a way. All other updates installed fine. How can I install this?

Thank You

Marduke, Jul 6, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows.

Although you can use the whole SSD to put the Windows installation in it. It's better to create a small partition, say 8GB, format with FAT32 and follow this video.:
    If not already done. Download the Windows ISO from: Windows 10 Download - Tech Bench
    NOTE: The video is for creating Rescue disk but the same procedure applied to Windows Installation disk
    [youtube]6NrjGnP1txY[/youtube]

topgundcp, Jul 6, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The SSD won't be any different than an external hard drive. What I have done is create Kyhi's recovery drive on a small FAT32 partition:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Format the rest of the SSD as a NTFS partition and store multiple Windows and MS Office ISOs on the NTFS partition. Boot into Kyhi's recovery drive, mount the ISO you want to install, and run setup.exe from the virtual drive that appears.

NavyLCDR, Jul 6, 2016
  6. Thank you I'll check it out when i get home

Southernhosp, Jul 6, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    even though KYHI's recovery is a good tools but why complicate it if you can do it within Windows ? Anytime you want to boot another ISO, just unzip it to this partition then reboot. Note that you only create the partition once then next time just unzip the ISO for the new bootable media.

I also created my own Recovery Media, same as KYHI. However, I could not share it since all my apps are paid versions and I would violate the EULA if I do so. Besides, his Recovery contains all needed apps for trouble shooting.

Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows. [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jul 6, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If I want to reinstall my 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, I boot from the drive, right click on the 64-bit ISO file, mount and run setup.
    If I want to reinstall my 32-bit Windows 10 Home, I boot from the drive, right click on the 32-bit ISO file, mount and run setup.
    If I want to reinstall my Windows 10 insider, I boot from the drive, right click on the Insider ISO file, mount and run setup.
    If I want to, I can store complete images on the drive, boot from the drive, run Macrium Reflect, restore the image.

To me, it doesn't get much simpler when I have 11 computers in my house running 3 different versions of Windows 10.

When the Anniversary update comes out - no problem. Just replace the ISO file on the drive.

NavyLCDR, Jul 6, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    My point is you don't need KYHI's ISO to boot from in his case. Just unzip the ISO then boot directly from it whether for Windows, Macrium or anything using WinPE and sure is shorter procedure than what you are trying to do.

topgundcp, Jul 7, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    We will have to disagree.

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    That's quite alright. I only answer directly to the question:
    • Create a small partition and extract the ISO to it.
    • If the SSD is MBR, set it to active then boot from it.
    Please note that OP don't have 10 PC's like you do so booting from KYHI's recovery, mount the ISO then run setup is redundant.

topgundcp, Jul 7, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    You didn't answer directly to the question.

Now, where in the OP was he taking about installing a single OS on his single computer? The OP specifically asked about being able to install multiple operating systems from the same SSD. If the computer the OP is installing the operating system on does not currently have an operating system on it, in order to follow your suggestion the OP would need TWO computers - the first computer to extract the Windows ISO to the USB SSD drive before he could use it to install the OS onto the second computer. Using Kyhi's recovery drive - or other prestaged Windows PE environment, and multiple ISOs stored on the same drive, the need for the first computer to extract the Windows ISO file is eliminated and replaced with the single step of right clicking on the desired ISO file and selecting "Mount".

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  13. topgundcp Win User

@NavyLCDR
    LOL. Yes, you are correct. I must have read the title only then answered the question.
    Silly me *Redface

topgundcp, Jul 7, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    No problem... Thanks for the tip on the profile.ini file when moving Firefox bookmarks in the other thread, that made it a lot easier/quicker!

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  15. topgundcp Win User
    You are welcome.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Using a SSD as a flash drive for installing windows. - Similar Threads - Using SSD flash

2. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  3. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  4. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 Using a USB Flash Drive: Upon booting the computer from my usb flash drive which has the windows 10 20H2 ISO using Rufus, I am met with a screen which has a white line on the top left corner of my screen. After blinking for a few seconds, the Windows Logo shows for a split second and then the system...
  6. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using a flash-drive or external hard drive: Recently every time I try to use a flash-drive or an external hard drive, I get this message. I don't have a problem using the logitech wireless adaptor for my mouse/keyboard but when I insert a flash-drive or external hard drive this pops up. [ATTACH]...
  7. Installing windows 10 in flash drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows 10 in flash drive: What assignment unit size do i need to choose? I have the options of: 8192,16,32 and 64kb submitted by /u/lililpotato [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jvgaig/installing_windows_10_in_flash_drive/
  8. install new windows using flash drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    install new windows using flash drive: I am low on C space but have a connected flashdrive showing plenty of space for new windows. Try to install on it but will not go to this memory stick. Same with any new updates. Help?...
  9. using a windows usb flash drive installation as a normal usb stick

using a windows usb flash drive installation as a normal usb stick: after running the media creation tool on an empty usb flash drive can i copy additional files onto it? i would like to transfer some files using the space that is left empty from the old system i ran the media creation tool on to my new one will the installation still work...
  10. Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive

Problems installing Windows 10 to built PC using flash drive: I just built my first PC and I'm having problems installing Windows 10 on it. I don't have an optical drive so I'm trying to install off a flash drive. I downloaded Windows Media Creation Tool but it doesn't recognize the flash drive so I created an ISO. Then I used Windows 7...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. use ssd as a flash drive

2. use ssd as flash drive