Windows 10: Using a TV as multiple virtual monitors & resolutions issues

Discus and support Using a TV as multiple virtual monitors & resolutions issues in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; At work I use 3 physical vertical monitors and I use an application which takes screenshots of every minute each day. I need to review these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by kieranf, Jan 25, 2017.

1. kieranf Win User

Using a TV as multiple virtual monitors & resolutions issues

At work I use 3 physical vertical monitors and I use an application which takes screenshots of every minute each day.

I need to review these screenshots later and would like to do this at home, however I only have a laptop at home and this makes things difficult.

I attached my TV to my laptop as an external monitor as the physical area of my TV screen is greater than that of my 3 physical monitors at work and I hoped to be able to view my screenshots normally. However the image was not normal as it was constrained to my laptop's native resolution of 1366 x 768 and this meant everything was shrunk and not able to be seen properly.

I then hoped I would be able to find an application which would allow me to create 3 'virtual monitors' which were all vertically displayed on my TV. My hope was that I would be able to match the resolutions of my 3 physical monitors to the 3 virtual monitors and view them all at their correct size on my TV.

I have not however been able to do this and have instead only found applications which can create virtual monitors but do not allow me to modify the resolutions of them so I have the same 1366 x 768 resolution constraint.

Does anybody know whether there is an application which will allow me to do what I want, OR, am I simply constrained by my display adapter and it is not possible to create 3 virtual monitors on my TV with the required resolution.

:)

kieranf, Jan 25, 2017

2. Windows 10 - play DVD on laptop and wireless transfer to Smart TV

We are volunteers here willing to help you with this problem.

Does your computer and TV support Miracast? If so use the information in this link. If not the you would either need to buy Miracast equipment or use a wired HDMI cord from the computer to the TV (check with TV maker and the tv manual).

Project with a Wireless Display with Miracast

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15053/...

---------

Using an HDMI cable is relatively simple. Set the TV Input to the port used and play the DVD on the computer. You will need to setup dual monitors on the computer.

Start - Settings - System - Display <- set as you wish.

You may have more advanced settings in Right Click Desktop - Graphics

Properties AND/OR in Control Panel - Display - Adjust Resolution AND/OR

an icon in the notification area near the clock on lower right of desktop.

These should help (they also apply to Windows 10)

Connect Multiple Monitor to your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/ho...

Do more with multiple monitors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/mu...

Change the resolution on that TV monitor. Refer to the previous links above and this one.

How to change Screen Resolution & Display settings in Windows 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-screen-res...

If needed grab a family member or friend to help. Many teenagers are pros at doing this.

Please let us know the results or if we can offer further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 25, 2017
  3. Using TV as Screen

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

I once fought this same issue and finally realized in my case the TV's HDMI ports were faulty.

Do you have any other HDMI display devices to hook to the computer as a test? Do you have other HDMI devices hooked to the TV?

If the below does not work you probably need the help of the Computer Maker's Support, the TV Maker's Support, or a real computer shop's assistance.

Start - Settings - System - Display <- set as you wish.

How to change Screen Resolution & Display settings in Windows 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-screen-res...

You may have more advanced settings in Right Click Desktop - Graphics

Properties AND/OR in Control Panel - Display - Adjust Resolution AND/OR an icon in the notification area near the clock on lower right of desktop.

These should help (they also apply to Windows 10)

Connect Multiple Monitor to your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/ho...

Do more with multiple monitors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/mu...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jan 25, 2017
  4. Using a TV as multiple virtual monitors & resolutions issues

The resolution of a monitor is a physical constant, software cannot overcome that limitation. If you could you wouldn't need three monitors.

Even tho your TV might physically be bigger, it still has a physical number of pixels. (Resolution)

logicearth, Jan 25, 2017
  5. kieranf Win User
    Thanks for your response. I assume this means that with my present hardware I cannot do what I need to.

Is max resolution always constrained by the screen (such as the TV in this case), or is it also possible that my laptop graphics card and driver can limit my max resolution.

I ask this because if the resolution is mostly down to the physical screen, I could potentially purchase a 4k TV and then see what I need to without the need for any virtual monitors.

kieranf, Jan 25, 2017
  6. The resolution can be limited by the video/graphics card and or the connection you are using to connect to the TV with. For example an old VGA cable will not support 4K resolutions, nor will DVI and *old* HDMI.

It is likely your laptop will not be able to drive a 4K screen. Tho I'm just guessing with looking at specs.

logicearth, Jan 25, 2017
  7. kieranf Win User
    Thanks again.

These are my specs:

PSPKFA-02C001 - Toshiba Satellite P850 Computer - Australia :: Toshiba :: Computers, Laptops/Notebooks, Tablets, Televisions, DVD and Blu-Ray Players, Camcorders, Storage, Accessories, and more

Looks as though I will need new hardware to do what I want to do.

kieranf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Using a TV as multiple virtual monitors & resolutions issues

1. Using a TV as multiple virtual monitors & resolutions issues - Similar Threads - Using multiple virtual

2. Virtual PC - Resolution issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual PC - Resolution issue: I've got a client/Venue that uses a virtual PC as their main server for their business.The issue we are having is that the resolution has reverted to something other than the recommended settings it was on 1920x1080. This had happened after a restart and updates were applied...
  3. Virtual PC - Resolution issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual PC - Resolution issue: I've got a client/Venue that uses a virtual PC as their main server for their business.The issue we are having is that the resolution has reverted to something other than the recommended settings it was on 1920x1080. This had happened after a restart and updates were applied...
  4. Virtual PC - Resolution issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple Monitor / TV as primary

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple Monitor / TV as primary: So I use a tv as my primary monitor, but coming out of hibernate (with other monitors off) my windows often migrate to one of my powered-off displays. Any suggestions for constraining this kind of behavior from the OS? submitted by /u/GrayscaleUnicorn [link] [comments]...
  6. Screen Resolution issue when using TV as a monitor

Screen Resolution issue when using TV as a monitor: Hi, I have connected a 26 inch TV as a monitor for my Windows 10 Desktop PC. The screen image appears too large with part of the Task Bar just barely showing on the bottom. I need to reduce the size of the screen image. How do I do this? ***Original title: Windows...
  7. virtual desktop as multiple monitor

virtual desktop as multiple monitor: Hi, my workspace use 6 display monitor from 1 PC - 1 monitor for main PC display - 5 monitor for business-related display (opening browser on different pages) - 1 PC (i5 7th gen, windows 10 pro) Those 5 displays are extended via HDMI splitter. My problem is moving...
  8. Multiple monitor resolution problem

Multiple monitor resolution problem: I have two monitors with different resolution. The first one is 1366x768 laptop, which is set to 100% scaling, the second one is an external 4000 monitor set to 150%. The problem occurs when I open or move the correctly opened dialogue box from the external monitor to the...
  9. Screen Resolution issue when duplicating across monitor and TV

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen Resolution issue when duplicating across monitor and TV: Hi all, hope someone can provide some clues as to what I need to do to get screen resolution from changing when I switch display settings from extended to duplicate screens. PC is a self built machine with on Intel HD board graphics, however I am using a Radeon 6870 GFX...
  10. 4k tv resolution issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    4k tv resolution issue: I'm running an LG 4k UHD tv with a GTX 1080. The first day I brought it home I was able to set the proper 3840x2160 resolution but then I updated the driver. Now anytime I set that resolution, starting from the standard 1920x1080, I get a black screen. It's not the TV...